Alternative To using Chlorine Bleach to Sanitize your Fresh Water System - Purogene

Ask-Dave

Hello Everyone,
I want to share something I never knew until recently. There is an alternative to using chlorine as a sanitizing agent for cleaning your tank.
Using chlorine dioxide for sanitizing your fresh water system is a superior alternative to using bleach. There is a product called Purogene that not only kills the bacteria, but it also removes the bio-film left in the pipes and the tank, and you don't need to flush the system out three or four times after sanitizing to get the smell and taste out. Chlorine Dioxide is used to sanitize airline water systems and is EPA approved for drinking. Because of this, you can use it directly in your tank at a low concentration to prevent bacteria growth if your tank goes unused for a period of time. If you would like more info, here is a video from the manufacturer that explains it better than I can.

Dave Brannam
RV Water Filter Store

jbeletti

Interesting info. As I use my fresh water tank for 100% of our water needs, I am interested in using something other than bleach.

Attaching some directions for using Purogene from their website.

Attachments

• Purogene.pdf
    26.4 KB · Views: 34

porthole

Retired
Did the website change? Looking with an iPad I can’t find items I found last week using a laptop. One of the triple filters was listed as being good for drawing lake water, ‘south of the border’ IIRC.

Using a filter system like that, will the purogene diluted mixture make it through the filters if they are plumbed after the water intake?

My current setup, twin filters inside the basement, nothing goes in the trailer from either the winterizing valve or the city fill without going through the filters. I also use my winterizing valve to fill the trailer tanks from a portable source (I have a 28 gallon water tank for boondocking purposes)

Currently when I do the bleach thing I have to remove my carbon filter element.

- - - Updated - - -

Jim, when you install your triple jumbo filters, could you ‘yardstick’ the installation to show the required space needed?

jbeletti

Jim, when you install your triple jumbo filters, could you ‘yardstick’ the installation to show the required space needed?

Sure thing. They are huge! I used a 3/4” NPT to 1/2” PEX bard elbow on the in/out to minimize the width. I’ll measure it up later today and add the dimensions to my image gallery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask-Dave

Did the website change? Looking with an iPad I can’t find items I found last week using a laptop. One of the triple filters was listed as being good for drawing lake water, ‘south of the border’ IIRC.

Using a filter system like that, will the purogene diluted mixture make it through the filters if they are plumbed after the water intake?

My current setup, twin filters inside the basement, nothing goes in the trailer from either the winterizing valve or the city fill without going through the filters. I also use my winterizing valve to fill the trailer tanks from a portable source (I have a 28 gallon water tank for boondocking purposes)

Currently when I do the bleach thing I have to remove my carbon filter element.

- - - Updated - - -

You can run the diluted maintenance dose through the filters no problem, but you should take out the carbon or reverse osmosis filters when sanitizing the system.

I have rearranged some of the systems on the website, but everything is still there. The search engine on the store is pretty good, so if you search for what you are looking for, you can usually find it with a search, such as "south" for South of the Border. If you have trouble finding anything, you can always ping me on CONTACT US and I will help you out.

jbeletti

Just ordered 3 quarts. Used my HOC discount too - thanks Dave and Tracey!

Wanted 2 but ordered 3 to hit the FREE SHIPPING threshold. This stuff has about a 1 year shelf-life per Dave. I know I can use 2, so 1 may be a door prize at a rally this year :)

View attachment 57514

Attachments

• Google ChromeScreenSnapz432.jpg
    Google ChromeScreenSnapz432.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 32

jbeletti

Sure thing. They are huge! I used a 3/4” NPT to 1/2” PEX bard elbow on the in/out to minimize the width. I’ll measure it up later today and add the dimensions to my image gallery.

Odd quoting my own post :)

Anyway, hey Duane - here's the image with measurements for the Jumbo Triple Canister Filter System, all connected together and with the In/Out elbows (and a link to the build gallery). She's a beast to be sure!
View attachment 57515

Attachments

• Jumbo Triple Canister Filter System with In-Out Connectors.jpg
    Jumbo Triple Canister Filter System with In-Out Connectors.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 30

jbeletti

Just ordered 3 quarts. Used my HOC discount too - thanks Dave and Tracey!

Wanted 2 but ordered 3 to hit the FREE SHIPPING threshold. This stuff has about a 1 year shelf-life per Dave. I know I can use 2, so 1 may be a door prize at a rally this year :)

View attachment 57514

Quoting myself twice in one day!

Anyway, had to share this. I ordered my Purogene an hour ago and I just received the an email with my shipping notification and tracking number. Wow!

Ask-Dave

Has anyone ever thought of using an Ultraviolet Light Disinfector post the storage tank or water pump? It could even be switched on by the water pump activating with some simple circuitry. No chlorine (Weapon of mass destruction) used in this solution.

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p...hqms3llBpqP39R7p9bwAr5cZOTzOA01IaAoSAEALw_wcB

You can certainly use UV to sterilize your water after the tank. The link above is for 1/4" tubing and 1 gallon / minute. We sell UV lights at 2 GPM, 4 GPM and 6 GPM with 1/2" fittings. I have a few concerns with UV light. 1- They use power, 2- They use glass and quartz bulbs and tubes that can be fouled or broken, and 3 - They need to be replaced yearly. UV-LED is becoming more popular, but it is quite expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quoting myself twice in one day!

Anyway, had to share this. I ordered my Purogene an hour ago and I just received the an email with my shipping notification and tracking number. Wow!

It took a whole hour????? I am going to have to talk to those boys!

VMooreSR

Thanks for the info on this product, just ordered a couple of quarts, and used that discount link, Thanks!!!
Vince

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just ordered two quarts myself. And added a TDS meter to get the free shipping. Too bad I had ordered new filters from them before seeing this.

porthole

Retired
Dave, I can’t find it now, but somewhere I saw on your site that using the ‘South of the Border’ filters would be good enough to use lake water to fill th fresh water tanks.

Is that filter set good enough to make lake water drinkable?
if not would using the Purogen be suitable enough to make the water drinkable?

And then finishing it off with the under sink filter kit?

CDN

B and B
Hello

Any issues using purogene and a water softener? Most sources up here are hard water and I fill with a filter and then softener? All are municipal or regulated water sources treated prior to park distribution.

Brian

Ask-Dave

Hello

Any issues using purogene and a water softener? Most sources up here are hard water and I fill with a filter and then softener? All are municipal or regulated water sources treated prior to park distribution.

Brian

No issue at all. They are doing two different things, so the water that you put into your tank will have less calcium and magnesium, which would have no effect on the Purogene.

- - - Updated - - -

Dave, I can’t find it now, but somewhere I saw on your site that using the ‘South of the Border’ filters would be good enough to use lake water to fill th fresh water tanks.

Is that filter set good enough to make lake water drinkable?
if not would using the Purogen be suitable enough to make the water drinkable?

And then finishing it off with the under sink filter kit?

The main concerns about drinking water from lakes and rivers are pathogens, sediment and unknown chemicals. The Doulton RIO 2000 will remove all bacteria and cysts and virtually all viruses and sediment down to 0.5 microns. Some free floating viruses may be able to get through, but these should be very few. The KDF/GAC filter will remove chemicals, chlorine, taste/odor, lead and heavy metals. Purogene in the tank will take care of any viruses that get through. The Ultrapure Premium system under the sink will get fluoride, lead, arsenic, and take more of the chlorine, chemicals and taste/odor issues. In other words, this system would allow you to drink virtually any water safely.

Gary521

Now, if you can, come up with a system to get this stuff easily into the water tank with the Anderson valve.

jbeletti

Will the winterizing position allow water into the tank?

I've never used that position, but according to Anderson Brass, seems like it should work:

Four Positions, Four Functions
City – Pressure feed fixtures from 3/4" hose connection on backflow preventer.
Normal – Pump from the on-board tank to the fixtures using on-board pump.
Tank – Pressure fill the tank from 3/4" hose connection at backflow preventer. 100 gallons
in 7 minutes.
Sanitize/Winterize – Draw in sanitizers and winterizing fluids from a bucket utilizing the
on-board pump.