Aluminium Wheel Failure

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
After returning from a week long outing in which we covered approximately 600 plus miles I went into cleaning mode. While cleaning my wheels I noticed a crack in what I describe as a spoke of one of my wheels. Further inspection revealed a crack completely around this spoke. No loss of air or any other notification to me, like vibration, while driving. Will contact Tredit tomorrow and start a warranty claim.
20160827_154217.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I believe wheels are guaranteed for life from Tredit. They will treat you right. In 2012 we had the same thing happen, while on a trip. (different style wheel). They will also reimburse you for re-mounting the tire and install costs... But not for balancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Lou_and_Bette

Jim, on our RW, I had one of my wheels crack in the same way. Contacted Tredit and they denied claim because I had put G614's on the rim that had NO PRESSURE LIMIT stamped on the rim, only a weight limit which I had several weight reports to prove I didn't exceed that...no help. So, since those wheels were special order for that year RW, I had to buy similar wheel from Tredit and have it powder coated. Within 2 months, I had TWO MORE wheels crack in the same place, not a manufacturing defect HAHA. Replaced all six wheels, then traded 3 months later. If one cracked, watch the others and GoodLuck with Tredit.

P.S. ours looked exactly like yours but a different color scheme.

TravelTiger

Wow, Lou, that stinks! We had Maxxis Tires on ours, not the original Towmax, but Tredit never asked anything about what tires were on it.

porthole

Retired
If Jim's wheels don't have a pressure rating, I guess it is a good thing he has towmax tires and can take the picture of just the wheel :cool:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I think this is caused from making sharp turns and U-turns dragging the tire sideways. Some of you already knew this and some of you my have not.

TravelTiger

I think this is caused from making sharp turns and U-turns dragging the tire sideways. Some of you already knew this and some of you my have not.

Hmmm, Tredit replaced, so I figured it was a manufacture's defect. Our wheel was about 2 years old.

We did a lot of tight turns to get our trailer in/out of driveway and around our cul-de-sac in the 5.5 years of owning our ElkRidge but did not have another wheel failure.

donr827

You would think that this would be taken into consideration when designing a RV wheel.
Don

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
If Jim's wheels don't have a pressure rating, I guess it is a good thing he has towmax tires and can take the picture of just the wheel :cool:

I have Goodyear's 110psi and the rim on the inside is rated for 110psi

- - - Updated - - -

I think all of us make sharp turns cant see this being a contributing factor. If it was how do the 3 axle 4200 Cyclones last as long as they do? 3 axle trailers always drag a wheel due to the pivot point.

porthole

Retired
I have Goodyear's 110psi and the rim on the inside is rated for 110psi

- - - Updated - - -

Ya missed my wink :)

Looks like you'll be good to go. Are there date codes on the tredits?

- - - Updated - - -

If that was the case, they have no business being in the recreational wheel business. Think we make sharp turns - dragging with our RV's?

You should see the turns-dragging we do putting boats in a ramp off a narrow street.

TravelTiger

They'll ask for pics of all the stamped codes inside the wheel, as well as the pic of the crack.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We've all seen how much those wheels flex sideways when were making U-turns or jackknifing into a spot.
I'm just saying that's is where that wheel failed....
It was from the side to side stress. I try not to do that any more than I have to but sometimes it's impossible not to.
I'm just trying to make some people aware of what caused that failure.
IN MY OPINION.
and the less U-turns and jackknifing they can do the better it is on everything under there.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Considering that wheel cracks seem to be few and far apart, I'd guess there was a latent manufacturing defect that showed up when the wheel was put into a high stress situation. Just a guess.

Roller4tan

I had a pinhole in the rim area that was losing air, hard to photograph and see. Tredit replaced the wheel. That had to be a manufacture defect.