Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

Chippendale

George:

I have the Lippert 4 point level up on my new Sundance...it came with a great instruction list, step by step which I keep inside the bay next to the controller. Only thing different on my system is to retract the rear legs before starting to re-hitch. Extending the front before I assume could cause damage to the rear legs. Since this is my first fifth wheel, I also made another check list for set up and take down along with the Lippert instructions.

On my Gateway, I had to raise the rear stabilizers before raising the hitch pin because it would really screw up the rear of the trailer. Of course, with 4 tires are on the ground it wasn’t a problem.
I have only hitched the Landmark 2 times when all the jacks were down. As best I remember, somehow I got the middle and rear jacks to come up before I manually raised the front of the trailer to get the truck under it. But this doesn’t take advantage of the hitch recognition memory system which I would like to use if possible.

Someone told me that the hydraulic system is all connected together in the Lippert system and that when you raise the front, it moves the fluid from the rear to the front. I am not sure about this, but I guess it is correct because here is Lippert’s wording in their instructions.

Hitch Recognition
1. Turn on touch pad.
2. Press the “Left” and “Right” buttons simultaneously.
3. The front of the unit will rise to the height where the auto level sequence was started.
4. Connect tow vehicle and make sure 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel and hitch are connected and locked.
5. Push “Up” arrow until “Auto Retract” appears in LCD screen.
6. Push “Enter” and System will immediately retract all jacks.

So, based on this, I guess you don’t have to worry about raising the rear jacks, but again, they are talking about a standard 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel hitch and we are dealing with the Andersen and therefore the front of the trailer has to be raised much higher to clear the ball. I think the pin adapter needs to be lowered on the the ball manually so that in case there is a problem you can stop the process.

I am hoping someone with a 6 point system and the Andersen hitch will chime in on this between now and when I head out next Monday as to how they do it. I just don’t want to screw up something.

danemayer

Someone told me that the hydraulic system is all connected together in the Lippert system and that when you raise the front, it moves the fluid from the rear to the front. I am not sure about this, but I guess it is correct because here is Lippert’s wording in their instructions.
On the 6 point system, the center and rear jacks on each side operate as a unit. They do not transfer fluid to and from the front jacks.

I'm pretty sure that extending the front jacks while the rear jacks are down isn't all that stressful to the rear jacks - at least on our 4 point. On the 6 point, I'd guess that most of the stress is on the rear jacks and there's a lot of frame between front and rear on a 6 point. So you might be better off raising the rear jacks first. And I always do that on our 4 point, just because it makes sense to me not to stress them at all.

As for rear stabilizers - they must be raised first.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have the six point system and at times after a rain I will raise the front of the rig as far as the front jacks will go. This lets the water run off the slide toppers.
The fluid from the four rear jacks may go to the front jacks but basically the fluid is returning to the resevoure.
The system maintains equal pressure as the rears will retract the needed amount when the front is raised.
So, no reason to fret about raising too high for the Anderson Hitch.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
On the 6 point system, the center and rear jacks on each side operate as a unit. They do not transfer fluid to and from the front jacks.

I'm pretty sure that extending the front jacks while the rear jacks are down isn't all that stressful to the rear jacks - at least on our 4 point. On the 6 point, I'd guess that most of the stress is on the rear jacks and there's a lot of frame between front and rear on a 6 point. So you might be better off raising the rear jacks first. And I always do that on our 4 point, just because it makes sense to me not to stress them at all.

As for rear stabilizers - they must be raised first.

On a 6 point LevelUp the center and rear jacks operate as a 'pair', but they also operate in conjunction with the respective left or right front jacks. If the trailer was 'auto-leveled' there is no need to raise the rear jacks when extending the the front jacks for hookup. Extend the fronts and the rear jacks will retract, the center jacks will float and extend or retract as needed.

danemayer

On a 6 point LevelUp the center and rear jacks operate as a 'pair', but they also operate in conjunction with the respective left or right front jacks. If the trailer was 'auto-leveled' there is no need to raise the rear jacks when extending the the front jacks for hookup. Extend the fronts and the rear jacks will retract, the center jacks will float and extend or retract as needed.
Hmm,

So I would expect on each side that there's a valve for the front and a separate valve for the center/rear. My understanding is that the valve has to open to allow fluid to transfer in or out. So when you're operating the front, their valves open. How does fluid move to or from the rear jacks with just the front valve open? Or does the rear valve also open? In that case, if the pump is spinning in a direction to extend the front jacks, why wouldn't the rear jacks also extend?

I'm missing something. I don't doubt what you're observing. But I'd like to understand how it works.

On edit, since the rear and center are connected and operate with a single valve, maybe what happens is that the front goes up and fluid also transfers between rear and center jacks, since they're connected. The rear gets pushed in transferring fluid to the center, pushing it out.

SNOKING

I think what is being said is that if the front is raised the rear two will equalize on each side to handle the change in the overall angle of the trailer. Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
So I guess that those of us that have to do it the hard way really don't have it so bad . . .

Takes maybe what . . . one minute longer?

RamblinFever

Well, another matter has surfaced. Apparently, California requires safety chains on goosenecks. The Anderson is a soft of hybrid if you want to call it that. I've heard conflicting opinions whether or not safety chains are required with the Anderson. Has anyone been cited or advised of this? I would certainly like to find a reference in the California Vehicle Code.

Rollin_Free

Well, another matter has surfaced. Apparently, California requires safety chains on goosenecks. The Anderson is a soft of hybrid if you want to call it that. I've heard conflicting opinions whether or not safety chains are required with the Anderson. Has anyone been cited or advised of this? I would certainly like to find a reference in the California Vehicle Code.

I would also like to know if anyone has gotten a ticket and if so how much was the fine? If it's more than $70 I prefer the prevention method and put the chains on. I've also been told you can't beat city hall so I haven't tested that one either.

RamblinFever

I'm also trying to figure out the proper way to attach chains to the pin box if I have to do it. My trailer has a huge plastic shroud over the pin box. Then wonder what would be the proper installation of the chains?

Aandaar

I am running it with chains and have never been stopped. IMO its alot cheaper to buy the chains and never worry than have smokey write me a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

Rollin_Free

I'm also trying to figure out the proper way to attach chains to the pin box if I have to do it. My trailer has a huge plastic shroud over the pin box. Then wonder what would be the proper installation of the chains?

The chains actually attach to the king pin adapter that's part of the hitch purchase with the included replacement bolts in the chain kit.

Rollin_Free

You can find the chain kit on ebay or amazon. I think you can go to the Andersen web site and the chain kit is there to look at. It is an extra cost of course.

Aandaar

If you live and travel a lot in Cali I would purchase the chain kit off the website for 69.99. Much cheaper than the ticket or frustration of going to court to fight it when a CHP officer is having a bad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

Rollin_Free

As you can see there's a lot of discussion about this hitch, the chains etc. If you start at the beginning and work your way through them there's probably going to be an answer to some of your questions.

I've been using the Anderson for over two years now and am a strong supporter of it's design and capabilities. I just added chains this past year and the discussion around that is early in this thread. There are only 2 cons that are known to me: 1- This is not a slider hitch so that could be a negative. 2- There is no way you can use swinger type pin Boxes (I.e. Reese revolution etc.) with this hitch because it can't handle the rotational stress of turning. I don't consider adding chains a negative.

RamblinFever

I don't consider chains a negative. Just ordered a set #3230 from Anderson. Never used chains on other 5th wheel trailers with the slide in hitches.

Rollin_Free

I don't consider chains a negative. Just ordered a set #3230 from Anderson. Never used chains on other 5th wheel trailers with the slide in hitches.

If you start looking at post 221 you'll see the chain discussion and the modification I did to make it hook up and disconnect easier and storage can be inside instead of outside in the elements.