Announcing the Fall 2009 Virginia Chapter Rally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hudson

Thank you

I want to thank everyone who attended the rally. I worked very hard to make my first time as wagonmaster yield an event that would be enjoyed and appreciated. I spent literally hundreds of hours making it happen. It wasn't easy but it was worth it. I'm very proud of my first rally and of all that we accomplished. Based upon comments at the event and messages on the forum I feel that the East Coast Luau was a great success.

But of course I did not do this alone. I would like to give explicit credit and my personal thanks to those who helped with all the work. Especially:

My wife Tracy spent a huge amount of time shopping, searching for recipes, decorating, hostessing, overseeing the kitchen, making certain the room was open every time it needed to be, and coordinating the others who were helping with things in the conference center.

The Bylinskis made all of the name badges and those refrigerator magnets. I know that had to take a lot of time with designing, printing, cutting, gluing, etc. Plus they helped out at the conference center.

The Walkers did the shirts. I'm not sure how much time of theirs it took, but it couldn't have been simple. They had to collect checks, tally orders, coordinate with the shirt printers -- including resolving some problems with the first run, tallying and sorting the shirts, and they even distributed many of the shirts themselves. They are still working on shirts to get shirts for those who missed the first orders.

The Wolbecks first started helping when we got the keys to the room. But they were both there helping from the first moment until the last item left the room. They worked their butts off doing practically everything they could possibly do. Kevin and Nelly would make ideal wagonmasters in my opinion and I hope they consider doing a rally in the future...

Debra Funderburg helped a lot with the decorations and with all of the food coming in and the cooks in the kitchen. Debra did some of the accent tables (including providing some of her own stuff) when Tracy was too pooped to keep going on those. Before the rally Gus Funderburg maintained a spreadsheet of the camp site and names information, got the Bylinskis to do nametags, got the Walkers to do the t-shirts, and tried to get Jim B to come to the rally. Unfortunately Jim wasn't able to make it so Jim sent the *prize laden* Ron Dickeson to talk with us. During the rally, Gus held a chapter meeting, hosted a breakfast in his rig for the early arrivals, handed out the name badges and greeted campers as they arrived, socialized and went rig-to-rig with messages and reminders sometimes, and took care of the seafood cooking team for Saturday night. An unquantifiable thing Gus also did: he provided guidance, suggestions, and a shoulder when I needed them -- and that was quite a lot near the end.

Chrissy Akers and her girls helped with the decorating (including providing a lot of decorations herself!), the cleanup, and wrangling the alcohol (that was quite a bar she had set up in the kitchen!). As an aside, the Akers and the Beasleys watched Emma for us when we were busy (which was most of the time).

There were so many people there at the end with the cleanup too. The Lathams, the Norwoods, and several others deserve special mention here for doing that tedious and frequently unthanked job.

Special mentions also go to Don Massengil for helping out, for cooking pig, and for bringing a projector (which despite my best efforts I failed to integrate into the rally as I'd hoped); Dave Yocum brought a sound system and took the group photo in front of the banner; Jared Beasley helped Tracy get sand and seashells from the ocean beach for Saturday night's table decorations; several other people also helped with the decorating.

Everyone else who helped but was not mentioned here, please accept my apology for forgetting to thank you by name.

As wagonmaster for this rally I know that without the assistance of others this would not have come off so successfully.

Hudson

Visited state: Hawaii

Okay, I meant to mention this at the rally, but it slipped my mind...

• Everyone who entered the site decorating contest,
  • Everyone who wore a Hawaiian shirt or outfit to the Luau,
  • Everyone who ate at the luau,
  • and for that matter, Everyone who attended the rally
should add Hawaii to the list of states where they've camped in their RV.

After all, what are the chances you are actually going to take your rig to Hawaii any other way?? :confused:

Update your signatures! Add that sticker to the side of your RV!

Amaze your friends!!

jimtoo

Sounds like you guys had a really great rally. Making a rally happen is a big operation. I am going to nominate you guys to help Jim B do the National rally next year. :D Or maybe you guys just do the rally and let Jim B relax and enjoy one. :D

We are planning for extended travel dates for next year, hopefully starting with the National Rally and then just traveling the East coast. Just maybe we can make the Virginia Chapter rally next year.

Jim M

Hudson

Anonymous complaints about drinks

[this message is ver batim from Tracy. I just typed it in for her.]
Hello everyone! I hope all rally attendees made it home or to their next destination with no problems!

Now that we have been home for a couple of days and I've had a chance to sleep and catch up on "house stuff," I really feel that I need to respond to some second- and third-hand comments and criticisms we've heard.

I understand that there were rally attendees who were very unhappy that alcohol was available during the two dinners. I am distressed by this news, especially since the comments were not made directly to me or Hudson. Obviously, I am not sure exactly what the concerns were, so it's difficult to respond.

When we first considered offering tropical drinks to go along with the luau theme, no one mentioned any reservations or potential problems. There was no warning of an unwritten "no alcohol" rule for rallies. [The Crozet rally included alcohol consumption promoted by the chapter leader. Search this board for "alcohol", "liquor", or "booze" and you will find at least three non-Virginia rallies, including two posts by the top man at HOC, Jim B, discussing alcohol at rallies, and not in a disapproving way -- Hudson] The only concern was whether the campground would allow it, and Camp Hatteras did.

More than one rally attendee offered to coordinate the tropical drink offerings and arrived armed with ingredients and drink recipes. There was no alcohol on the "drink table" in the main room -- the punch we offered was non-alcoholic, and we announced that. (** There may have been some bottled beer on the drink table on Saturday night -- a rally attendee brought it to share and was disappointed no one had found it in the kitchen -- if that happened and was offensive to someone, I am terribly sorry. **) The intent was to keep the hard liquor in the kitchen where it could be monitored and would be available to those who were interested.

Some rally attendees brought their own drinks, beers, etc. and kept them at their tables. We did not exert any control over attendees' personal drinks. I'm sure everyone behaved responsibly, since no one voiced any complaints at the time.

I know that I made some jokes and references to drinks and drinking. I would not have made the same comments had I known that the topic was a sensitive one. If someone took issue with something I said, I am genuinely sorry.

Lastly, if someone was offended by the mere presence of alcohol in the building, I am sorry, but there were many rally-goers who welcomed it. We tried to handle it in a way that made it available to those who were interested while not shoving it in front of those who were not. I was hurt to find out that some people apparently complained that there was quote "too much alcohol" end quote. Since then, I [rather I, Hudson] have been informed that quote "we won't do that again" end quote. I was not aware of any real problems, but I forgot that there are "non-drinkers" and there are "anti-drinkers." It would be good to hear from those who liked the drink offerings. It would also be good to hear first hand from those who were unhappy in some way with the alcohol at the dinners. How could we have handled it so that non-drinkers and drinkers were satisfied?

Once again, I am sincerely apologetic if anything I said or did made any rally attendee uncomfortable. It is not my nature to do that type of thing, and to find out that I may have done it unknowingly is very upsetting to me. Since I was essentially "in charge" of the food and drink for the dinners, I feel responsible for this situation. Any constructive comments or suggestions would certainly help future wagonmasters to avoid similar problems.​
[any replies to this post, either as a post in this thread or sent to my email address which all rally attendees already have will be printed out and/or read to Tracy ver batim and I will enter her reply via the same method.]

timdebs

I am in favor of being able to have a drink. Many a soldier and person have given their life for our freedom. If a person is offended by someone drinking they have that right, BUT I also have the right to have a drink. I did not see anybody acting rude, crude, or socially unacceptable (drinking or not drinking). Everyone handled their selve in a very friendly, fun, and camper manner!

Our family enjoys having a drink and partying and we did not have a problem with the alcohol being on the table. Noone was forced to have a drink and no one got out of hand. We had a great time!

cjhicks

We feel that having a mixed drink/s or beer is acceptable while at a social event. It does not offend us as long as people act responsibly . I didnt notice anyone being drunken or disorderly, rude or arrogant, loud or boisterious. Just people having fun and enjoying themselves. It's too bad that some people feel that if their belief is not to drink that NO ONE else should drink!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
All I can say is WWJD. He would have a glass of wine with his friends. He did at the wedding.

I appreciate peoples opinions and respect their decisions in life. I expect the same level of respect from them.

My husband and I enjoy alcohol while we're camping.

We all come to the table with different experiences, talents and life lessons. Different is not wrong, it's just different.

And I still don't know what the heck a boat drink is!!:rolleyes:

I'm sorry we were not able to attend and partake in fruity boat drinks :cool:

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
It really frosts my cookies when the "anti" folks try to force their views on others. Carol and I did not have any alcohol at either dinner, instead choosing to partake of the "non-alcohol" drinks provided. HOWEVER, we did NOT take offense to anyone who did. Folks behaved responsibly and I see no reason why events like this should not be conducted just like this one one. Great job Hudson and Traci!! If you ever do this again, don't change a thing. It was a super weekend!!

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
It really frosts my cookies when the "anti" folks try to force their views on others. Carol and I did not have any alcohol at either dinner, instead choosing to partake of the "non-alcohol" drinks provided. HOWEVER, we did NOT take offense to anyone who did. Folks behaved responsibly and I see no reason why events like this should not be conducted just like this one one. Great job Hudson and Traci!! If you ever do this again, don't change a thing. It was a super weekend!!

Well put Keith. People did act responsibly.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Renee and I are both Christians and as such we do not drink alcoholic beverages nor do we believe in the consumption of alcoholic beverages because of all the pain and suffering we have seen it cause in the world.But we do often eat at restaurants that do offer such,because those are the finer restaurants in town.Although we do not agree with the practice it is not our place to judge those that do.For the most part we felt things were handled appropriately at the rally and we would attend again.It is not our intention to be offensive to any reader but thank God we live in America where we do have the freedom to choose or not to choose.

beasleyrl

As one of the few parents at the rally with 2 small children, I have to say, I certainly did not see anything inappropriate with regards to alcohol that I did not want my children around. In fact, local restaurants distribution of alcohol is far more visible than it was at the rally. I am thankful we live in a free country and that we can make our own choices. That said, there were many events at the rally. If anyone was offended by something at one of these events, they could certainly have chosen to not attend that event and still found lots to do.

Hudson/Tracy/Gus/Debra - I wouldn't change a thing at the next rally. Our family had a great time and you should be proud of your success!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Gee Gus I looked at your pics and they surely depict differences in ideas. Here is our idea of going out in the ocean - No comparison!

Attachments

• 100_0963.jpg
    100_0963.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 21

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Renee and I are both Christians and as such we do not drink alcoholic beverages nor do we believe in the consumption of alcoholic beverages because of all the pain and suffering we have seen it cause in the world.

I am a Christian too and my Religion allows consumption of alcohol in moderation. Gluttony is a sin. I do not mean to be ugly by the insinuation in your comment was you cannot be a Christian if you consume alcohol. I do not think that is what you meant. I do respect others belief to not consume but believe others have the right to consume if they desire. This topic can lead to a great diversity and I would hate to see that happen, so as long as we are responsible and not overdo in anything (drinking, eating, etc) no one should be offended. Treat others as you would like to be treated and respect the views of others. Thank everyone for their beliefs.:) God Bless

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I am a Christian too and my Religion allows consumption of alcohol in moderation. Gluttony is a sin. I do not mean to be ugly by the insinuation in your comment was you cannot be a Christian if you consume alcohol. I do not think that is what you meant. Thank everyone for their beliefs.:) God Bless

I dont believe that is what Terry meant either.
Sam and I are both Christians. I do believe each person ,as a christian, is responsible to God for their own decisions they make in their life.

If I can share something about Sam...She was a widow when I met her. Her late husband was an alcoholoic. It led to his suicide and almost her death. Alcohol was involved.

Because of this and never being to a rally, we were both very concerned about the drinking. As it turned, it was handled with discrestion and maturity.
While we choose not to drink, we can not and do not decide that for others. If we don't like something going on, we also have the right to leave-which we would have done if we felt something was inapropriate.

porthole

Retired
Christians have been drinking alcoholic beverages since at least "drink from this cup".
I was a catholic alter boy and one thing that the priests made absolutely sure of was that no wine was to be wasted.

Time to take religion out of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.