Anyone use Impact Driver for Lug Nut on RV

Oregon_Camper

While camping a few weeks ago my neighbor had a flat tire and I walked over to see if I could help. He was using an electric (110v) impact driver to remove the lug nuts.

I guess I've been living under a rock...it has never even crossed my mind to have a larger impact driver (than the standard DeWalt one I have) to remove lug nuts. Anyone here do this? It made QUICK work of taking this lug nuts off for sure!!!

Here is the link to Amazon, showing you the one he was using.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes I do. Have for years.
I always use it at home and on the road.
Heck I even lift the rig with Level-up and Zap them off at Les Schwab before they even know I'm there.
I gently us it to put them back on then use the torque wrench to finish it.

They have a new stronger one out now. It's on my list to Santa.
7d324b52b7682720bbe03b976a416613.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rdufek

Yes I do. Have for years.
I always use it at home and on the road.
Heck I even lift the rig with Level-up and Zap them off at Les Schwab before they even know I'm there.
I gently us it to put them back on then use the torque wrench to finish it.

7d324b52b7682720bbe03b976a416613.jpg

I use Milwaukee, and like Jesstalkn use Levelup to raise the rig, torque wrench to snug up at the end. Makes for quick work.
miln276722.jpg

Oregon_Camper

Santa is "asking" me for ideas for me. Please tell me the one you are referring to. I'd much rather have a cordless version, if that works. I feel sooooo giddy that I'm getting a new tool. :cool:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 24V one I bought from AutoZone a couple of years ago. I make sure to charge it up before doing a road trip, trailer or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Santa is "asking" me for ideas for me. Please tell me the one you are referring to. I'd much rather have a cordless version, if that works. I feel sooooo giddy that I'm getting a new tool. :cool:
This is the one.

I just order it thanks :)

I like this one with the Anvil pin, you have to use something to stick in the hole of the socket to get it off of the gun. I usually keep the 7/8" socket on it all the time. With this pin it doesn't keep coming off of the gun while you are using it or storing it.
The other model with the hog ring is a lot easier to swap sockets but then you have the falling off issue..
For a smaller multi use gun I'd go with the ring....

Hope this helps

e9ba5d34c31747add5c8096d9372cc2f.jpg
c7b4f9120c6aa8b3c91e11fa7ac75465.jpg

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

This is the one.

I just order it thanks :)

I like this one with the Anvil pin, you have to use something to stick in the hole of the socket to get it off of the gun. I usually keep the 7/8" socket on it all the time. With this pin it doesn't keep coming off of the gun while you are using it or storing it.
The other model with the hog ring is a lot easier to swap sockets but then you have the falling off issue..
For a smaller multi use gun I'd go with the ring....

Hope this helps

e9ba5d34c31747add5c8096d9372cc2f.jpg
c7b4f9120c6aa8b3c91e11fa7ac75465.jpg
Just found it on Amazon for $187.00 Tool only

Oregon_Camper

Just found it on Amazon for $187.00 Tool only

Nice...

I have 2x 20v batteries already for my Dewalt stuff....wondering if I really NEED the 5 Ah battery? I'm going to start with just the driver and use my existing batteries (20v) vs dropping $92 on a 5 Ah battery. I don't see a reason to carry 3 batteries.

Niles

Cordless is nice, but I just use my air impact with air supplied by my 300hp cat.;)

KyleC

I'm still the lug wrench guy. One tool. Works for tires and stabilizers. I think it spins faster than those camco turners and just don't have the budget to just buy the impact for vacations! Plus it stores better than the regular 4-way. Both of the sockets have dual sides to make it the four-way!

Actually used it last night to tourqe the L brackets on my wdh.

One-day I will find the "need" for the impact!Screenshot_20181208-210429.jpeg

Kyle

carl.swoyer

While camping a few weeks ago my neighbor had a flat tire and I walked over to see if I could help. He was using an electric (110v) impact driver to remove the lug nuts.

I guess I've been living under a rock...it has never even crossed my mind to have a larger impact driver (than the standard DeWalt one I have) to remove lug nuts. Anyone here do this? It made QUICK work of taking this lug nuts off for sure!!!

Here is the link to Amazon, showing you the one he was using.
I recently purchased a new Porter Cable electric impact gun. It works fantastic! Not even a struggle removing the lugs on my Landmark.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

My 18 volt 1/2” Ryobi impact driver works very well for me and has for 5+ years...of course, it dosn’t get all that much use.

TajMyhaul

Does the Viair compressor have enough capacity to operate an air driven impact wrench?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

No not really
It will for a split second while it uses up the capacity in the hose then you have to wait for it to build pressure again.
If you had a air tank on it it would help but it just cant keep up.
It works a little bit but it's really annoying. That's been my experience anyway.

Jerrod

carl.swoyer

No not really
It will for a split second while it uses up the capacity in the hose then you have to wait for it to build pressure again.
If you had a air tank on it it would help but it just cant keep up.
It works a little bit but it's really annoying. That's been my experience anyway.

Jerrod

Jerrod
I'm looking at the viair 300
It's Max psi is 150.
That being said, is this unit capable of doing the job on the g series tire at 110 psi?
Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes I believe it will do the job. I like the 400P-RV but it looks like they are both 150PSI - 2.30 CFM

My opinion would be to get the 400P-RV setup. I had it for a bit before I put the big system in my truck.

NYSUPstater

This past spring I bought a Earthquake 1/2" impact from Harbor Freight. Don't recall now how much, but think it was more than the DeWalts posted here. Used it on my son's car @ first, then when going to FL in late July when 1 brake went south on the RV. Like AP said, used the right side of the 6pt level up to raise the coach and zip-zip, all lugs came off. And like AP said, gently used it to re-install them and finished up w/ torque wrench. It's a staple now when traveling. Come to think of it, I have to remember where I put it after I took it out of the coach before storing it.