Are G-rated tires too stiff?

MrBill

One tire dealer has suggested that I install G-rated tires on my 3795 and then won't have to worry about blowouts anymore. Another dealer says G-rated tires are too stiff for my trailer and it will bounce down the highway. I know G-rated tires maybe overkill for my trailer but would they provide extra security against problems or would they be too stiff?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Ooo MrBill.........I am not an expert on tires, but many of us have chaned to G rated tires. Some on lighter rigs than yours.
As far as the rig bouncing down the road, isn't that why we have springs?
For me, I would rather have a stiffer ride, if there was one, than a blowout.
Goodyear G-614's seem to be one way to go.
Just my thoughts.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

MrBill,

Double posting is not allowed so your ATF thread has been merged here.

LR G Goodyear tires do have stiff side walls. Many of us run them and love them. Does the RV know the difference? Probably - but the peace of mind is priceless and worth the trade off, if your unit can accept LR G wheels and tires.

If it's within your budget, do it :)

Jim

lhetsler

I'll say one thing for all this talk about tires and China bombs, etc. My Bighorn tires are the most checked tires in the world. The horror stories I read make me check them before, after and during trips. I have about 10,000 miles on them and all good so far. I always check side walls carefully for bubbles, rub marks from the shocks etc. One of these days I will spring for new tires. I certainly understand why you might question them. Who knew, thanks to this web site, we check a lot of things and our diligence has probably paid off in ways we may not know.

MrBill

My Cyclone 3795 came with 225/75R15D and even though it is a triple axle I don't think those tires are sufficient; my GVWR is 18,000 lbs.

lwmcguir

To stiff depends if you want the tires to be the suspension or if you have adequate suspension on the trailer/coach in question. If you run them at 110 psig as we do they are going to be stiffer than a 2 ply regular tire. That is going to be true with almost all of the all steel tires. If you have doubts about your suspension, then get to a good shop and upgrade as they advise.