ATF: Bighorn - lug nuts

deee2

We are getting ready to take off on Friday, and had our Bighorn's brakes and bearings checked. When they replaced the lugnuts, they ruined 16 of them. They are trying to replace all 32 of them as a courtesy to make amends, but so far can't find a match. Is there a model number you have on them?

We sure would appreciate any assistance,

Donna

brianharrison

I believe Tredit Tire currently supplies tires/wheels and probably harware (lug nuts). Here is their website - a contact to them may help.

Personally, if the shop is replacing all of them, any good quality lug nut with the correct seating face for the rim and the correct diameter and length for the lug bolts should be fine. You do not have to match the exact decorative shape.

Brian

EDIT - someone with the same trailer can confirm - the size of the acorn nuts are probably 9/16 inch diameter, by 1 7/8 inch long, 18 threads per inch. Like this one.

whp4262

How did they ruin 16 lugnuts? If they ruined the lugnuts make sure they didn't damage the studs as well. If they cross threaded them the stud threads will be damaged to.

azdryheat

I'd be very worried about the quality of the work performed on the bearings and brakes if they can't do something so simple as installing lug nuts. It's not rocket science.

brianharrison

I'd be very worried about the quality of the work performed on the bearings and brakes if they can't do something so simple as installing lug nuts. It's not rocket science.

I would not jump to such drastic early conclusions yet - and maybe Donna can clarify, but I am not assuming the ruining of the lug nuts correlates to poor bearing/brake checks. Certainly Donna should feel comfortable with the shop and her experience with the service manager or tech that did the work.

I am guessing, but the lug nuts may have been "ruined" while impacting them OFF the wheel (over tight?, loose impact socket, over zealous operation of the impact gun). Or even the chrome may have been chipped off, scored? due to a poor quality product or age (2009 unit).

Brian

MTPockets

My lug nuts have a sheet metal/chrome sleeve that I can see that it would be easy to damage with an impact wrench. I figured I would want to replace mine at some point for a better nut. That sleeved design looks good, but may not be the best long term as far as looks.

sjs731

Was it the lug nuts or the cover that is over them. I bought actual chrome lug nuts on eBay to replace my original lugs after the tire shop cracked some of the covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve and Carrie
HOC# 2252
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax
B&W Companion Hitch
2012 Sundance 3300CK

jnbhobe

I got some Gorilla lugnuts on E-bay 9/16 X 18 X 2in long Bulge head, I think I paid around $60 for 32 of them, they are solid chrome no covers.