ATF: Sundance - Slide seal

bigdob24

This is on a 2011 RK265 . The outer seal does not roll out and form a proper seal when the slide is opened. You have to pull it out to put it in the right position.
I have cleaned and lubed it with seal spray.
Is there an easy fix I am missing or does it have to come off and be reposistioned?
Dan

MC9

At the Goshen Rally the Mfr. of the seals said, do not lube, seal, oil, whatever, they are supposed to be slightly tacky. That is what makes them flip. They make them that way on purpose. Yeah I know, don't seem natcherl.

jimtoo

I think your question was answered by MC9. I have heard of some folks that put a bead of silicone across the surface of the slide somewhere before it fully extends to cause or make the wiper part of the seal to flip outward.

Jim M

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If its the "side" seals, use your awning rod/hook to pull them out. That is of course if you have a manual awning. Some folks have installed "bodyside moldings" from a auto parts house to the sides and top of the slides to pull the seals out.

bigdob24

I wonder if a urethane caulk would work on the roofing material, I am not a big fan of silicon caulk?

I will try this when it drys out.

The awning rod won't work as its on the top .

Thanks for the replys and I will post back with the results

D

bigdob24

I cleaned and applied a thick bead of Sonolastic NP1 Polyurethane caulk about 6" in from the outside wall of the slide , let it cure overnight and closed and opened the slide and the bead of caulk was enough to roll the rubber seal out where its suppose to be.
This would be another good one for the QC people to remember
Thanks for the info
Dan

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dan, maybe it would be a good idea. BUT, if a person buying a new unit saw it and did not understand why it was there. I bet cha there would a complaint about it or they would scrape it off. There is "NO WINNING" in these things.

ihsolutions

The guy from the slide seal place, who spoke at the rally, (and looked/sounded just like Christopher Walken) said apply nothing to the seals. Mainly because people apply things that destroy the seals, even things that are marketed towards making the seals last!

I use 303 on all my seals and haven't applied it since last fall. They are all still very supple, move in/out properly, and most importantly, have a good UV protector on them. Twice a year application seems to be just about right. It's good practice to keep them clean, regardless.

bigdob24

Bob
I will just explain why I had to do it, its just something else QC has missed , the list gets longer and longer :)
Dan