Awning damage from blown tire

JWOursler

We had a blow out that caused a lot of damage, a bent step, one fender skirt blew off and other badly damaged, and damages to the wiring under the trailer and lights. Also damaged was our main awning (4 cuts from back to front) and one large rip on our slide awning. My insurance company and the service tech at our local dealer doesn't believe that the blown tire caused the awning damage, they both are insisting that we hit something to cause the damage. Has anybody else had this issue? I sure could use some advice on how to win this fight. And yes, the insurance company will pay if I file a collision claim which of course means another deductible.

Thanks,

Jenny & Mike Oursler
Sharptown, MD

danemayer

I think yours is the first post I've seen in 5 years where a blowout caused damage to the awning and a slide topper. Is there any damage or marking on the side walls in a path from wheel to awning damage? That might support your case. I'm trying to imagine the path it must have taken if it flew up and and hit the awnings but missed the side wall. Seems like it would have to have taken a pretty narrow path. Another thing to look at would be the way the fender is broken. If the break supports an upward trajectory, that might support your case.

jimtoo

HI Jenny and Mike,

Sorry to hear of more damage by a blow out.

Can you post several pictures of the damage? Sounds like a lot, but I know going down the road things can happen behind the area the tire where the tire was mounted, but don't understand how it could cause damage to the awning. Post some pictures showing the damage and the area.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

Unless you had a Goodyear G614 tire blow out because they (Goodyear) will often pay for damage, you have no other choice but to file a claim with your insurance company. None of the other tire manufacturers will accept responsibility for damages resulting from a blow out. After you get it fixed, replace the rest of the tires with something decent before it happens again...Don

porthole

Retired
After seeing the rubber marks from our blowout earlier this year, I could very well believe the shredding tire could hit and damage ANYTHING sticking out on the side. We had marks all the way up the side of the trailer.