Best route from Battle Mountain, NV to Crescent City, CA

BandK

We are looking for a good route from BM to Crescent City with our 37 footer. Mountain roads are not a bother but am looking for better time and less fuel cost. Good sams route planner takes us through Oregon on 140 and then 199 south. I am wondering if it is better to take I80 to I-5 and over to the 101?

Any thoughts?

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Over 140 will take you through Lake View OR, then Klamath Falls, over to Medford, up I5 to Grants Pass then over to the coast. Most of that road is OK, but there is a section east of Lake View called Dougherty Slide (may have mispelled it.). That is a nasty downhill section you will want to take very easy. Not a good place to lose brakes, but is doable.

Part of the section between Grants Pass and Crescent City is kind of narrow and has some tight corners, but semis go that way all the time as do lots of RVs.

If you decide to come this way, let us know when. If we are around, we might be able to meet up for coffee or something.

Kristy

scottyb

There are a few restricted routes based on KPRA (King pin to rear axle) up there, especially around Eureka/Arcata. I think I would take I-5 to Grants Pass and back down to Crescent City on 199. I have driven in a car from Redding to Arcata on 299 and it is pretty winding with two mountain passes. One of my best friends lives in Arcata and we joke around about his living in (BFE) the middle of nowhere. Of course it is absolutely gorgeous and never gets hot, even in July and Aug.

BandK

Thank you for that. I think we may stay a night around Klamath Falls to breakup the trip. We should be there evening of June 2. What is a good spot for an overnighter?

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
There s a KOA in town. Not the best neighborhood, but lots of people stop there. We don't have any other RV parks to speak of. There is the fair grounds, but I don't know if they rent to over-nighters. Of course there is always WalMart. I would choose a night at the KOA over that if it was us.

We should be around that night. I will PM you Mark's and my cell numbers in case you need anything or want to get together.

Kristy

wdk450

Kristy:
Maybe this couple might want to take in nearby Crater Lake if they haven't seen it.