Bighorn Axle 8K upgrade benefits?

BudnDonna

Hello to all,
We have been searching for our "Full Timers Dream" and have settled on a Heartland, Landmark 365 or fully upgraded Bighorn. We have pulled SOB tow behinds for 25 yrs. so this will be our first 5ver. I see that you can upgrade the axles on the Bighorn to 8k but it says that it doesn't increase the carry capacity. So, I'm at a loss as to the benefits of the upgrade. I'm sorry to seem so uninformed on this matter but would really like to understand. Thanks in advance and again I have been consistently amazed by the exchange of information I have seen on this forum! AWESOME group of users!!!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I wouldn't do the 8k upgrade but instead consider the MorRyde IS system. In the long run it is well worth the money.

Niles

I agree with Mark, we have upgraded to the IS and disc brakes from MorRyde and put the 8K springs on then. Why we did the 8K was just for added piece of mind as much as anything. As far as the ride of the trailer, we don't feel like it hurt anything. It's way better than the factory springs were. Our BH 3670 came with 7k springs and after the second set flatted out it was time for a change. So like Mark said save your money and go for the MorRyde, you'll love it in the long run.

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Upgrading gives you added safety margin. As some have posted, original equipment may over time and use, fail. If you have upgraded parts, they are less likely to give you problems. We upgraded our 6k to 7k in 2011, at one year old, when we noticed our springs were flattening and the axle may have been bent. We were not overloaded. Since then, we still have to do regular maintenance (checking springs, u-bolts, shackles, wheel bearing maintenance, etc.), but have not had another failure with the upgraded parts.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Bigger, Better BRAKES!!! comes with the 8k axles and springs.
It does change the carrying capacity, just not on the vin tag.
We also upgraded to the G rated tires, our "carrying capacity" with the 8k axles is now determined by the load capacity of our tires.
ie: 3750 per tire and 3750 on the pin = 18,500 max. Although we are usually around 15,500, it gives me peace of mind to know we have extra margin for safety. The big plus is the Bigger brakes. (according to Dexter rep, 50% more stopping power)

BudnDonna

Thanks to all once again. Really, really appreciate everyone sharing your knowledge!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

pegmikef

In my case six thousand pound axles just didn't seem right for a 14,000 pound rig so I upgraded them to seven thousand pound axles.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner bumper-pull had 3500# axles on it . . . and it weighed 7100#'s empty!

When going down the road, the trailer was bottoming out on the tires.

The axles were upgraded to 5.2K's as well as the springs, and we also put larger tires and wheels on it.

And what a beast it was!

We used it once after the upgrade, but ended up getting a new trailer a couple of weeks later.

Someone else is enjoying all the work that was done on that trailer.

I really wish I could have enjoyed the upgrades more . . . but we love our new 5th-wheel!

Titanguy

I agree with those who upgraded to IS. I just bought a new 5'er with 7k axles with G tires. The 1st sign of trouble I will upgrade to the IS and 17.5 H tires. BTW, I think the Landmark 365 comes standard with disc brakes. All the parts on the 7k disc brakes are the same as 8k, you only need to change to an 8k disc brake bracket. About $25 each.

RoadJunkie

The weight rating is derived from the aggregate of all engineered components of the trailer. The weakest link, or component, sets the bar for the entire unit. The axles are, apparently, not the weakest component. For example, if you put G rated tires on a 1/2 ton truck you would not really increase the load limit because, for example, the springs, frame, axles, etc., would still be a limiting factor. If your goal in upgrading was to increase the carrying capacity, then I wouldn't think the upgrade is beneficial. If it were me, I would consider spending my effort on suspension and disk brakes.

BudnDonna

Thanks again guys. Our plan is to live in this and it seems to be a common issue that after you add a washer, dryer, thermal windows, generator, dishwasher etc. You are left with very little room for carrying water and personal stuff you need for living. That is why we are thinking of going to the Bighorn rather then the Landmark. If I understand correctly with the upgraded axles and tires I will be left with more carrying capacity. There doesn't seem to be anything you can do to increase the Landmarks carrying capacity. Or is there? We would probably go with the landmark except I'm worried about the weight issue. Am I worrying for nothing?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

If you upgrade to 8K axles you will get bigger brakes and stronger axles with less chance of knocking out the alignment in the event of a curb strike or such...but not so sure that you will get bigger springs. Heavier springs on a light trailer will diminish the ride quality. You will have to contact Heartland regarding the heavier springs...Don

Last edited: