Bighorn - flood

btmauser

We are on our first trip with this 5th wheel and have numerous problems. The biggest and worse is we have a flood in underbelly storage. Of course, I cannot get an appointment to get it fixed for a over a week. So, we are trying to fix it ourselves. We have the panel taken out and the underbelly plastic cover is down as well. We cannot find this leak. We have the washer/dryer but have not used it yet. It doesn't appear to be leaking. Do you have any ideas? Thank you.

btmauser

ATF: Bighorn - Flood

I posted a thread a moment ago about the flood we have. I forgot to tell you that it is a 3585RL.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: ATF: Bighorn - flood

We are on our first trip with this 5th wheel and have numerous problems. The biggest and worse is we have a flood in underbelly storage. Of course, I cannot get an appointment to get it fixed for a over a week. So, we are trying to fix it ourselves. We have the panel taken out and the underbelly plastic cover is down as well. We cannot find this leak. We have the washer/dryer but have not used it yet. It doesn't appear to be leaking. Do you have any ideas? Thank you.

Try calling a mobile RV repair. Normally those guys show up pretty fast. They may be able to stop the leak, at least temporarily, until you can get to a shop.

2010augusta

Since it is the weekend and it seems like you need immediate help, I moved your post to an open discussion area.

You said you removed a panel, is this the wall between the basement storage area and the rest of the basement area?

The leaks can be sort of difficult to trace down, but if you get in the basement a watch closely you should be able to find a drip and then trace it down.

you should also check the supply lines to the bathroom sink and shower. these were loose on ours after we brought it home.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: ATF: Bighorn - Flood

If you've pulled the underbelly cover down to where you can get a good look inside, check around your fresh water tank. If this is your first trip and you filled the tank, it's possible there is a loose hose or connection at the tank. Worse case is that one of the fittings broke at the tank wall and the tank will need repair or replacement. If there is no water in your basement or just behind the wall panels, and only on the top of the belly cover, I would suspect that, especially if the water is clean. If it's not clean and is stinky, I'd be running it back to the dealer and parking it on his doorstep.

Another question is were you running off the tank or connected to city water? A problem that I seem to recall happening to some folks is that while on city water, a plumbing mistake or inoperative check valve at the pump allowed water to bypass the pump and fill the fresh water tank to the point it overflows from the vent.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

In my SOB I had a toilet that only leaked when I was hooked up to shore water. When I was on the fresh tank it did not leak. It only leaked when it was pressurized. If you are hooked up to city water, try filling your fresh tank, which only works on demand with the pump.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

What do you mean by underbelly storage? The basement below the bedroom?
I would check all the fittings looking for a loose one. Like others have mentioned. Be sure to check the drain fittings as well. Your water heater is located on the door side and the UDC is on the off door side. Can you tell which side of the coach the leak is coming from?
Try do dry as many fittings as you can and then wrap some tissue paper around the fitting and/or just below. If it gets wet you found your leak.
Did you have the leak right from the get go, or is this something that just popped up?
I hope not from the very beginning of use, because your dealer should have tested the system. But leaks do happen.
Be sure to come back and let us know what you find.
Oh, and if you call a mobile repair guy it most likely will be on your dime if you do not have prior Heartland approval.

Peace
Dave

funntheson

Is your fresh water connection leaking? I had to have my utility bay resealed at the bottom, because when water dripped or leaked from my fresh water connection, it leaked through the corner and created a puddle in the storage area. I couldn't see an opening, but I figured out that is where it was coming from.

Rmcgrath53

The first time I went out i had a flood from the hose fitting from the outside shower. It flooded my basement.

caissiel

First you should close the city water and put your 12 volt pump on. If it runs without opening any valves you have a high pressure leak. If it stays shut you have a supply leak to the pump or you have rain water in your under belly. My trailer when I received delivery, the belly cover was full of water with no other water leaks.

Moose

You didn't give your location. I am wondering if something froze?

aatauses

If you are on city water you may need to check your "check valve" located behind the panal, right where your water comes in. For a few months I needed to change this too many times---I think I can do it with my eyes closed---however eventually I got one that did not leak and have been doing fine for the last 6 months---may need to change it a few times, as I believe they may be faulty from the the place you buy it.
al

btmauser

I am sorry it has taken so long to respond back. Thank you all for your tips. We left the underbelly and the back panel of the basement area open for a week. No leaks. After careful elimination of things, we think that the outside shower was turned on a bit and the handle on it sticks open and therefore we had the flood. We have had so many problems with this coach that I just can't believe it. Electrical outlets caving in, all drawers had to be re-glued, the satellite was all screwed up and on and on and on. I don't mean to be a complainer, but this is a very poorly built 5th wheel, there is no craftsmanship whatsoever. We now have odor from the gray tanks and we have only used it now full time for 3 weeks. We are not even using the black tank. I am happy that most of you have had minimal problems. We however, would never buy this camper again. Thank you all again for your help.....I am now going to go search for our latest problem cure!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Odor from grey tanks.....inside or outside? Have you ever used the toilet? How much waste (food) from washing dishes goes down the drain? How often do you drain your grey tanks? Most of the time you can get an odor from the "P" traps under the sinks if the water dries up in them.

jimtoo

If you are getting an odor from grey tank in the kitchen, look under sink on the drain and you will find a vacuum breaker screwed into a "T" fitting. It has a rubber flapper check and they are bad about not sealing and you will get the odor of all the food your putting down the grey tank. Especially if your parked and leave the grey tank valve open all the time. You could wrap the check with saran wrap or such to see if it stops the smell.

Jim M

btmauser

OMG, after 3 weeks, we have the same flood!!!! We do not understand what is happening. We are at my dads property. We are hooked up to his water. We have not ever filled the fresh water tank and therfore have not turned on the pump at all. We have not cooked in here yet and have only washed a few coffee cups in the sink. We take showers in here and are now using the toilet for liquid only. We went to turn on the propane tonight to use the furnace and we noticed water coming out of that compartment on the outside. We opened the door to the basement and there it was again! FLOOD. We have checked the connections at the city water area and there are no leaks. This is a mystery. We know that if we take it in for repair, it won't happen. Just like before, we had it open for a week and no flood. The fresh water tank level reads empty so we don't believe that there is a diversion issue. If there was, it would have flooded before now. Appreciate any thoughts anyone may have. Thank you.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Check the plastic bakcflow fittings on the back of the water heater...we had an intermitent leak in the cargo bay, and that's what it turned out to be...there was a small crack in the plastic...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Have you visually checked every PEX fitting in the back basement area with the city water on? Try running the shower and flushing the toilet while you're down there looking. Check the connections to the lavatory sink, too. If the water is clean and not soapy, it's a leak in the supply system, not a drain.

btmauser

Yes, we tried this with the first flood. We had the entire back panel off as to expose everything. We left it off for about a week and nothing was leaking. We are out there working on it now, but there very weird thing now is that the water was coming out of the furnace, not the hot water heater. I will keep you updated. Thank you very much.