Bighorn - flood

btmauser

Re: ATF: Bighorn - flood

what side of your camper is the hot water tank on? Ours in on the door side. It really isn't very close to the basement were the water is accumulating but we are going to check that as well. Thanks for your help. I will keep you informed.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

what side of your camper is the hot water tank on? Ours in on the door side. It really isn't very close to the basement were the water is accumulating but we are going to check that as well. Thanks for your help. I will keep you informed.

Ours is on the off-door side to the right of the cargo bay door, behind the wall...

btmauser

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Flood

Hooray! I think we got it. There is a pinhole size hole in the line to the icemaker. When it was not under pressure, nothing happened. When under pressure, it just blew. We tore everything apart again and the hot water heater area was dry. Our furnace is right under where the water was leaking which is why it was pouring out of there too. The reason we didn't see it before it because the ice maker handle was down as to not make anymore ice. The water source was still on. It took this long to build the pressure for it to blow again. I hope and pray that this is it. Thank you all so much for your help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I hope you've finally found the source of your leak. Makes me glad I still make ice for my booze the old fashioned way...with a plastic ice tray.

Gaffer

I too had this leak. The line on the ice maker developed a split above the manual valve just beyond the solenoid. I have decided to not use the ice maker anymore. Will probably pick up a portable ice maker for longer trips and use plastic trays for shorter ones.

lwmcguir

I don't think the ice maker line is made of a good quality material. Looks like a poly tube from the hardware store. I don't think it is NSF either. I have replaced mine with NSF tubing which is also much heavier and I don't have the plastic taste in the ice now as well.

wyleyrabbit

I don't think the ice maker line is made of a good quality material. Looks like a poly tube from the hardware store. I don't think it is NSF either. I have replaced mine with NSF tubing which is also much heavier and I don't have the plastic taste in the ice now as well.

We HATE the plastic taste of our ice cubes. They're pretty much unusable. How does one get behind the fridge to replace this tubing line?

lwmcguir

I just took it loose at both ends, loosened the clip I could see and slid it out pulling in the new one taped to it. May be different on other floor plans. Sure did help with the taste. We used to throw away the first few bins of ice.

b_ram

We just read your post and find it very ironic that we too had a flood in our 3585 on our first maiden voyage to Chatfield in Colorado! Doesn't Bighorn pressure check its system?!!! We have determined there are at least two issues - one we have a slow leak that we believe comes from the water heater and the flood that we wonder if you experienced where water POURS out of the underbelly the entire length from the water heater to the jack when you hook it up to city water. We were able to take it to the dealership today.

aquiring signal

Our 2011 3585RL also leaked, not on our maiden voyage, but close. We had it about a month before it went bad. If you haven't already, you can check it out here.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...ur-brand-new-Heartland-check-yours-to-be-safe

summers

As of yet I do not own a Heartland, my wife and I are selling everything and as soon as the house sells we will become full timers. The unit we have just about decided on is the Bighorn 3585 so this posting is of a concern for me. I see where aquiring signal's trailer was built in Feb. If you don't mind me asking, when were your trailers built b_ram and btmauser? We had been looking at Montana's also but they seem to have some major issues that I am uncomfortable with to spend my limited resources on. This brings up my next question. Since Thor now controls Heartland, have they started to change the manufacturing procedures of Heartland? btmauser, please post what they find and how it is taken care of. Thanks for any responses, Mark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Summers, we have a 3585RL and have had no plumbing issues with it. We love it.
And your right, if a person reads other forums it seems all manufacturers have some major issues.
As I understand it Thor leaves Heartland alone and it's business as before.

Peace
Dave

aquiring signal

As of yet I do not own a Heartland, my wife and I are selling everything and as soon as the house sells we will become full timers. The unit we have just about decided on is the Bighorn 3585 so this posting is of a concern for me. I see where aquiring signal's trailer was built in Feb. If you don't mind me asking, when were your trailers built b_ram and btmauser? We had been looking at Montana's also but they seem to have some major issues that I am uncomfortable with to spend my limited resources on. This brings up my next question. Since Thor now controls Heartland, have they started to change the manufacturing procedures of Heartland? btmauser, please post what they find and how it is taken care of. Thanks for any responses, Mark

We loved our first Bighorn 3670RL purchased new in August of 2007. We lived in it full time with only minor & normal issues and overall we were very pleased. So much so that we didn't hesitate to get our new trailer from Heartland, too. This time we had big problems and our new trailer that was built in February 2011 has been declared a total loss. I couldn't help but wonder if this might be due to the Thor-ification of Heartland.

Prior to this, I believed Heartland was the best bang for the buck. I'm not so sure anymore. Is this a fluke or the new Thor owned Heartland?

I think that if you must put the water heater & plumbing above a wooden floor, consider a plastic liner perhaps with a drain into the underbelly. Wet insulation is better & easier to replace than wet wood.

We are living in a hotel and shopping for a new rig. Hopefully one with better plumbing and built with plywood rather than OSB.

AL KADEY

ALLEYKAT&MOMMAKAT
We had a problem with the underbelly filling up with water. They removed the whole underbelly could not find anything leaking.
My husband finally took it off himself after water started coming out again. It turned out when we travelled in the rain it would get in through the wheels throwing it up and into the underbelly. He sealed this and we have never had another problem.

Sheila