Bike Tie Downs

We are about to take our first trip including bikes. I am planning on using bungee cords and am looking at the Blue tie downs they have at walmart. I am wondering what others use.

TYIA

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Do you have the pull-out bumper?

We have the pull-out back bumper on our Trail Runner and use bungee cords to strap the bikes down tight, then I also have a heavy duty cable lock to secure the bikes from theft and in case any of the bungee cords break.

I've found that the 18" bungees are more than long enough, and also use 10" bungees to strap the tires tight.

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg

mbopp

How many bikes? I made a 2-bike rack out of PVC pipe for the back of our pick-up.

GeneF

If you use the bumper bike rack, just a word of caution. I tied my bike to the upright and put a wrapped a facecloth around the crossbar. After driving 3 thousand miles, I had my first opportunity to take the bike for a ride. The round ring on the bar, wore through the facecloth and started to rub through the cross bar on the bike. I'll be putting it on a bit differently when we leave.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you use the bumper bike rack, just a word of caution . . .

If you use the bumper bike rack, just a word of caution. I tied my bike to the upright and put a wrapped a facecloth around the crossbar. After driving 3 thousand miles, I had my first opportunity to take the bike for a ride. The round ring on the bar, wore through the facecloth and started to rub through the cross bar on the bike. I'll be putting it on a bit differently when we leave.

I have an old towel that I wrap around the crossbars of the bikes right where the bikes are pressed against the upright bar.

I just make sure that the bikes are bungeed so tight that they don't move . . . so far so good!

As for other issues with that rear bumper bike rack . . .

1) Drill more holes and put better screws all around in that black plastic tray . . .

First time we used it stock from the factory all four screws (yes, just four tiny screws) didn't hold and the tray broke out of the bumper (good thing I had those bungees so tight).

2) If you go down a dirt road, be prepared for anything on that bike rack to be completely covered in dirt or mud (been there . . . got the t-shirt).

Rogue9

If you don't need to use the tray for anything else, try mounting a roof top type bike rack to it for the bikes. It's much more secure and will keep the bikes from getting banged up. You need the v channel type that have the fold down arms. Here's what I did:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/40781-Started-some-mods-to-my-22FBS-too!