Birdog and Satellite Dish Aiming

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The DW thought I should have a good satellite finder so she didn't have to listen to me whine when I failed repeatedly to get the dish lined up.
I now have a Birdog Ultra (used...couldn't justify the high cost of new). I updated firmware and Directv sat software and figured out I needed to set LMB voltage to 13/18. I'm showing "found" and signal strength on a known aimed dish so I know the Birdog is working. Beyond this I'm totally lost and the instruction manual is written for someone with prior experience.
I'd be most grateful if someone could take me through a simplified "How to" for someone who will only be using the Birdog a few times a year.

porthole

Retired
Neale, can't help you with the Birddog, but if you have a DirecTV SWM SAT system you need 21 volts at the the LNB

Even the meters that output 20 volts will not work.

porthole

Retired
Are you using the SWM system with the single LNB?

If you are you only need to locate one satellite, the 101 bird. The 99 and 103 SATs will be locked in once you have the 101 locked and the skew set correctly.

BTW, although the SAT postion is exact, even at 22,000+ miles away, the equipment is not so precise. I find with my portable dish that the elevation is always off towards the low side. Skew seems to closer, but I can always spend time to fine tune if I choose.

Can you link to the meter you are using?

What is it using to read the signal? What is the display showing?

My First Strikes has two bar graphs, and 3 digital readings that I don't pay attention to.

The bar graphs are signal strength and signal quality and work together.

I can have a high signal and low quality, and I will have no SAT reception.
Once I get close with the signal (high reading) I start fine tuning to get the quality reading as high as possible. Fine tuning consists of swing the dish left and right and tweaking the the dish up and down.

My meter is supposed to "lock on" when the signal is best, but it has never locked on with the 99-101-103 birds.

And on another note, none of the published numbers for the DirecTV satellites were correct for my meter. Thanks to "VTXKid" Jerry on the forum here, I was able to manually input the DTV data.

If it helps - your satellite meter is actually a satellite receiver without a TV output.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a youtube video for my meter, might help you a little with yours.

Did you try youtube for the Birddog?

NWILSON

Duane,
Thanks for chiming in!
Here's a link to the Birdog Ultra Manual . I am slowly finding my way around it but it's a college textbook in the hands of a toddler right now. I've searched Youtube but, so far, nothing that has done much to help a novice
I opted for the Birdog Ultra model because it will provide 31 volts for SWM though I'm currently using a non SWM LMB and haven't had an opportunity to test the function.

mlpeloquin

I have a SWIM DirectvTV antenna with the Birdog Plus meter. I mounted the power supply and splitter in the UDC. The antenna input cable brings the 21VDC to the antenna. A SWIM two way splitter with one side with a D.C. Pass is required. Caution is required to be carefull that the D.C. Pass output is not connected to the input of the Birdog meter. It will burn out the front end amplifier. Once hooked up, set the meter to SWIM 101. I just point at 135 degrees and slowly move the antenna up and down left to right. I find the satellite quite quickly. Then proceed to lock it down. I use a double male end connector to connect the two coax ends together when removing the splitter. I cannot download the pictures on the IPhone. To select the proper satellite, just turn the meter on and press the right arrow and eventually you will get to the Direct TV satellites.

porthole

Retired
I looked at your manual; since I don't have one I'm, not going to deep with it.
But, I would suggest a slightly different method of locating the satellites then the suggestion of "just start sweeping".

I think I showed you some of the apps I use, if not, refer to the link in my signature and follow along.
Using the app that 'looks' at the sky using the phone's camera is a good way to start to find a clear enough zone (tress etc).

My suggestion is to either use an app with satellite location information or input the zip code into the DTV receiver to get the the skew, elevation and direction.
Get your tripod perfectly level first, then aim the dish as close to 0 (zero) degrees relative to the direction of the satellite. Set the elevation, and the skew if you are using the oblong dish. I have found the skew does not change much with our travels.

Leaving the rotation lock nut just slightly loose then start sweeping for a satellite.

Spend the money and get a King Quest.

Doesn't help with a Birdog meter.

But along the same lines, you could spend the money and buy a Travel'r and have HD instead of VHS quality SD

NWILSON

After buying a new rig (Cyclone 4150) the budget only allowed for the $150 used Birdog. It has a feature built in that gives orientation by zipcode for who ever's birds you are trying to connect with. Using that and the compass on my phone has worked pretty well. The Birdog says "FOUND" very quickly once your aim is close. I've found that the actual elevation is usually quite a few degrees higher than advertised as well, both on the Birdog and the DirecTV app.