Camping in 15 degree weather

Homestead

We have a North Trail 26lrss and are heading from Glacier National Park to Yellowstone in 2 days. Nighttime temps are now forecast to be 15 degrees. We will have electricity at Fishing Bridge Park. Does anyone know if our rig can handle this and if there are special precautions we should take? I thought about adding rv anti freeze to the waste tank at night or draining it completely and leaving a faucet or two running into the grey water tank overnight with the valve open into the sewer. Any suggestions? We are considering canceling our trip.

danemayer

Homestead, I'm not familiar with the North Trail construction and whether the underbelly is enclosed and heated. I'd guess it's probably not insulated. Water in the water lines, pump, traps, black tank flush, and holding tanks is likely to freeze. If you have water or ice in the fridge, those lines will certainly freeze and the solenoid will be damaged if not evacuated.

Your best bet from a plumbing point of view might be to winterize the unit and not use the plumbing at all.

Sumo

Buy an electric heater, open up the cabinets, run your propane heater. 15 degrees is cold, But if you keep your coach warm.
You should be Ok.

we had the misfortune of spending last winter in Southern Michigan. It is very clear to me that RV's are not suitable for extream cold. Our cyclone 4014 is supposed to have "heated tanks" what that apparently menas is that the heater duct that passes under the unit just above the underbelly cover has an outlet for heated air. The trouble is that all the slideout rams and systems penitrate the outer skin and the holes are much larger than the parts that go throough them. Good luck in 15 degree weather. I would not do it.

danemayer

we had the misfortune of spending last winter in Southern Michigan. It is very clear to me that RV's are not suitable for extream cold. Our cyclone 4014 is supposed to have "heated tanks" what that apparently menas is that the heater duct that passes under the unit just above the underbelly cover has an outlet for heated air. The trouble is that all the slideout rams and systems penitrate the outer skin and the holes are much larger than the parts that go throough them. Good luck in 15 degree weather. I would not do it.

You can keep many of these trailers comfortable (warm) down to zero and even lower, but using the water systems is a very different question. We've spent over a month in Breckenridge, Colorado 2 winters running with temps as low as -30F. You have to do some extra work and add some things to keep the water running and stay warm at -30. But it can be done.

Larry&LyndaSmith

Past New Mexico Chapter Leaders
We just spent 3 nights in West Yellowstone in our Big Horn. Temp got down to 18 for about 3 hours - not a hard freeze. Disconnect our hose and used a small heater in the baggage area and set the temp to 65 in the coach. Ran the fireplace heater all night. No Problems!

pegmikef

Homestead, I'm not familiar with the North Trail construction and whether the underbelly is enclosed and heated. I'd guess it's probably not insulated. Water in the water lines, pump, traps, black tank flush, and holding tanks is likely to freeze. If you have water or ice in the fridge, those lines will certainly freeze and the solenoid will be damaged if not evacuated.

The North Trail has an enclosed, insulated, and "heated" underbelly. The lowest temps I have encounter have been around twenty degrees and I have had no problems. I do however use a heat tape on the water pedestal and the whole length of my hose and keep the cabinet under the sink open. I don't know how it would do in colder temperatures, but you have probably already found out.

GOTTOYS

Disconnect your water hose and run off your tank at night. Keep a five gallon water jug for emergencies in case your water line freezes. You don't need much to flush the toilet and wash up a little. You might not want to use your water system at all. Just use the campground facilities and you water jug for night time use. I would go, there's only one way to find out if it will work..Don

azdryheat

We were in W. Yellowstone, 3 weeks ago, and it got down to 27*. The frozen city water line caught us by surprise - it's summer for goodness sake :) But the propane heater kept everything inside the trailer and basement toasty warm and the internal water was fine. Thaw came as soon as the sun came up. The next night I disconnected the water hose and drained it.

jimtoo

Hi azdryheat,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share when needed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Tombstonejim

Crap I had to type this all over. Don't let the freeze patrol ruin your fun.

Disconnect all outside hoses, use on board systems. Day time temps will be well above freezing. Use what you have to keep it warm at night. fireplace, heat cubes, electric heaters, propane. It will not hard freeze untill just before daylight. If you have the RV warm nothing will hard freeze.

Don't let the freeze police keep you from enjoying coffee and whatever at daylight in a cold place looking out the window.

I spent many a night in ski resort parking lots it ain't no big deal and there is nothing like it.