cannot fill my fresh water tank!

I tried to fill the fresh water tank of my 2012 northtrail 21fbs last week only to find out that it will not fill.

does anyone know if there is a shut off valve that may be colsed, or does anyone have any suggestions of what to try?

Joe Mac Donald
Timberlea, Nova Scotia Canada

danemayer

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the posting side of the Heartland Owners Forum. I'm sure you'll find a lot of useful information here along with a lot of friendly people who share their knowledge and experience.

I'm sure other Northtrail owners will jump in with their advice shortly.

PeternLiane

I've never heard of a shut off valve on the fill system. I'm wondering if you have a vacuum issue in the tank. You can buy a fill nozzle at camping world or your camping supply store. One of these should be able to break that vacuum and allow the fresh water tank to be filled. We have one that it a little long and it works great.
2173_st.jpg

ZNK

There is not a shut off valve but you could try to open the fresh water drain underneath the rig. If there is a vacuum this could help resolve that issue. Otherwise I would make sure you are putting water in the fresh water fill and not the black water fill.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I tried to fill the fresh water tank of my 2012 northtrail 21fbs last week only to find out that it will not fill.

does anyone know if there is a shut off valve that may be colsed, or does anyone have any suggestions of what to try?

Joe Mac Donald
Timberlea, Nova Scotia Canada
Joe, can you tell us what happens when you attempt to fill the tank? Does water come back out the fill hole? If so, you may have a crimped or some other issue with the vent tubing. Sometimes the vent tube will trap water in a low spot and need to be cleared.

Thanks all,

Will try all the above and see if anything works.
Hi ZNK, thanks for the heads up, but i already double checked that one, my black water clean out is located at the back of the trailer.

Joe Mac Donald

ZNK

Thanks all,

Will try all the above and see if anything works.
Hi ZNK, thanks for the heads up, but i already double checked that one, my black water clean out is located at the back of the trailer.

Joe Mac Donald

Hmm :confused: ours are close together on the same side...not sure thats a great idea.

hobie17j

I could not fill our unit with gravity fill either...manufacture problem. I got around it by adding a simple on/off valve between my city fill and the suction line from the fresh water tank to the pump. Now it is a city pressure fill and takes about 8 minutes to fill the tank.

RAHanock

Please look at this entry (#9) for more details as to what is happening and how to work around it.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/33157-Fresh-Water-Tanks-Expanded-An-Expensive-Lesson

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
I've never heard of a shut off valve on the fill system. I'm wondering if you have a vacuum issue in the tank. You can buy a fill nozzle at camping world or your camping supply store. One of these should be able to break that vacuum and allow the fresh water tank to be filled. We have one that it a little long and it works great.
2173_st.jpg
We use one of these too and have never had a problem filling the fresh water tank.

bigdob24

I just had my 3rd Sundance repaired so that it will fill with water.
The factory has known about the problem for several years. When they build them they dont pay attention to how the vent and fill lines run (water runs down hill). The vent line has a low spot that fills with water and prevents the filling of the tank.
All the dealer has to do is locate the vent coming out of the tank and cut it and run it down through the underbelly and put a valve on it. Then you open the valve to fill and close it when its full.
This goes back to atleast 2010 models. My dealer gets $300 bucks from the factory to repair this , its easy money for them .
The factory should correct this by running the fill and vent lines with the proper fall or just make the system a pressurized fill type.Like I always say, you have to pay attention to the little things.
Dan

Thanks to everyone, for your suggestions.

I blew the air vent clear, and shoved a length of hose down the fresh fill entry.
it works, i can now fill the tank.

thanks again,

Joe Mac Donald