Colorado Springs, CO area Campgrounds and/or State Parks

We are looking to spend 3-4 days in the Colorado Springs area in early May 2016 in our Bighorn 3160 EL (35'10"). Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice, quiet campground? We would like to at least have electric but water would also be desired. We aren't looking for any amenities such as swimming pools, activities, etc. We'd like to be near water or some hiking trails, if possible. Any suggestions are welcome. This will be our 1st week long trip from Illinois to Colorado. Thank you so much!

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Mountaindale is a nice quiet campground southwest of Co. Springs. There are not a lot near water that are close. It has full hookups and wildlife.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Mountaindale and Cheyenne Mountain State Park are both excellent choices.

We've stayed at both (we are having yet another HOC Rally at Mountaindale this fall)!

Another I've never stayed at but I hear is a good place is the Garden Of The Gods RV park.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Another I've never stayed at but I hear is a good place is the Garden Of The Gods RV park.

We drove by that one in '14 while visiting Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods and from the road it looked like your typical RV park(ing lot). Close tight spaces. Just sayin !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary521

I have stayed at Garden of the Gods a few times and it is very nice. Excellent Mexican restaurant just cross across the street.

GOTTOYS

We stayed at the KOA last year when we got weathered in on our way home. Spent 3-4 nights there. It wasn't much. I'll look for someplace else our next time through..... Don

MTPockets

Actually we attended a Colorado Campout, or rally at Garden of the Gods and thought it was very nice.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I'm partial to Mountaindale RV Resort. Our chapter has had one rally there and another is planned...our 2016 Fall Rally. Several of our members go there regularly. The area is a ponderosa pine forest and wildlife is all around. Beaver Creek State Wildlife Area is pretty much right next door to Mountaindale RV Resort. It has hiking trails, fishing and mountain views.
The Royal Gorge (Arkansas River) is relatively close, about an hours' drive. There is also Fountain Creek, which is along I-25.

Getting reservations for any State Park is tough if it's over a weekend so you really want to make them ASAP...the "window" for reservations begins 6 months in advance (on-line). Cheyenne SP does not have a large campground as far as number of sites. Plus, not all sites can accommodate larger rigs with multiple slides.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Here a some shots of our site at Cheyenne Mountain State Park from 2014 . . .

CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2108.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2007.jpg CheyenneMntSunset-IMG_2100.jpg

I'll dig out some Mountaindale shots later!

Thank you for all of the great advice!! I know we will spend a lot of time in Colorado when we full-time in a few years & hope to try out ALL of the recommendations.

For this trip, we booked 3 nights in the Cheyenne Mountain State Park for early May. The sites were definitely booking up. We're glad we got one!! We will post pics after our trip. Thank you, again!!

olcoon

Looks like you've already made reservations, but Mueller State Park is great. We've stayed there a couple of times, and have visited there several times. Just outside of Woodland Park. It has plenty of outstanding hiking trails, mule deer come into your campsite, has some great views of Pikes Peak. Doesn't have water hook-ups, electric only, but some of the campsites are close enough to water hydrants that you can run a hose to fill your tank if necessary. We can go about a week without dumping, so it was no problem for us. They have a great shower house/restroom, but you have to pay to take a shower.

We just returned from our 1st trip to Colorado in our new Bighorn 3160EL. We stayed at Cheyenne Mountain State Park and it was AMAZING. We stayed in Site #14 in the Gobbler Grove Loop. The view was great. The park is so clean and well maintained. We had some mule deer visit our campsite and we even had a Bobcat take a look around our site. We took a nice hike on some of the trails too. The weather was a little cool but we did have a couple of nice days. On the rainy day, we took a drive to Mueller State Park. Most of the sites were still closed in Mueller S.P. but they said they would be opening the rest of the sites on May 20th. Thank you ALL for the suggestions. We had a great time! 2016_Co 193.jpg2016_Co 158.jpg