Cracks outside, and inside :(

dasmoeturhead

I'm also down here in NC trying to avoid the snow as long as I can. I've never towed in the snow before, and I don't think it's a good idea. Isn't it snowing up in Elkhart area already?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Their is a hotel/motel across the street from the plant you can stay in. Check the weather later in the week, call HL and see how soon you can get into the shop.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It wont be snowing in Elkhart for a while. My guess would be early December for any measurable amount.
Bob is kinda correct. Motels are nearby but not across the street. And you will be able to get a Heartland discount at one or more select motels.
I would not tow in the snow. When it snows around here I will just wait till the roads are clear before traveling. It doesn't take long once the snow stops.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we had frame flex issues, we took our rig from Texas to Elkhart in March. They had it 5 days and we stayed in a nice motel nearby. It did snow while we were there but remember they are used to it and keep the roads very clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tundra2084

Towing in the snow as long as it's not a blizzard isn't really any different than without snow. Just remember to drive slowly until your more comfortable and leave room in front of you incase of a quick stop. Just add more distance between you and the others. Drive in the right lanes and take your time.
We drive from Ontario Canada to the space coast in Florida usually in mid February and have driven in snow and rain without problems. The 1 time we questioned the safety of driving in Kentucky on our way home in march, we stayed in a hotel for 2 days just to be on the safe side. (They closed the I75 down due to lack of snow equipment in the state for those 2 days). This year we leave Xmas week, but will watch the weather, and if in doubt, will leave a day sooner or later than planned.

By the way we did have a unit SOB towed by a tow company to elkhart for repairs and when we got it back it had separated the cap from the sides with broken welds and this happened between the factory and delivery to our dealer. Wasn't that way when it was sent out and pretty sure the factory didn't do it. That only left the tow company. Left dealer to deal with that mess and traded in that unit.

Mburtsvt

I would stay in the KOA cabin and let a delivery driver take it and bring it back. It would be insured by Heartland, (via the Delivery company) so if anything happened - it would be covered. It may take a few extra days back and forth, but this time of year the RV delivery companies don’t have a lot of freight traffic. It starts to pick up in Jan/March. I suspect the best thing about being in Elkhart is that you can keep check on the progress of the repair.

Ellie

We towed our Bighorn to the factory for a frame flex repair and stayed in a Heartland recommended lovely suite of rooms for a very reasonable rate. During the five days of our factory repair we explored the nearby Amish country and met some delightful people, including the gang down at Pete's Place in Elkhart. Up here in Canada we see hotshot companies flying down the highways pulling new campers at ridiculous rates of speed. I wouldn't let them tow my beloved camper five miles. Just my opinion.

dasmoeturhead

I'm definitely listening to all suggestions. Right now I'm still waiting for the head hancho to call me, and leteven know the details. I think at this point it might be better for us to start making our way north in a couple of days.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We took our previous Landmark back to the factory in the early March. Stayed in a motel not far from the factory and we had 2 dogs at the time. The motel allowed pets and gave a Heartland discount. We were they for 10 days while the repair was getting done. If you have ever seen some of the transport companies sail past you at 75 mph I wouldn't want them towing mine. Believe me if you are full timers go with the rig if you possibly can. BTW don't forget to clean out the refrigerator as it won't be plugged in. I think the hotel/motel was the Jamison. It was right next to Mernards on Hwy 19 at the toll road.

dasmoeturhead

Got off the phone with the HL REP today, and he informed me that it would be December before he could get us in. He says their booked solid. Lucky us. He's trying on an earlier date, but I don't think anything will come of that. Made a reservation in Tennessee for a month to let this thing play out. Now I have to do some winterizing . I still have a 4 way water valve, and or plumbing that still isn't working after 4 different 4 way valves (new valves), pump and pump inspection. City water side of valve also fills the water tank at the same time. The only way I can connect to city water is to have the 4 way valve in the winterizing position. I also can't really use the oump, because it runs continuously in all positions. So when it's cold I like to disconnect the city water to keep it from freezing in the UDC, and run the pump using the tank water. Can't do that now. Spent 8 days at camping world expecting them to fix this. Nope couldn't do it. So I guess a trip to the hardware store is in order for some drop lights, and heat tape to keep things from freezing. I'm going to seal up the crack, and tape over it, and wait this out until I can get up to Elkhart. I've also bought slide supports to help alleviate any stress on anything that might be suspect. I know these supports are not needed for modern slides, but I feel in my case they will help. IDK.

Bones

Got off the phone with the HL REP today, and he informed me that it would be December before he could get us in. He says their booked solid. Lucky us. He's trying on an earlier date, but I don't think anything will come of that. Made a reservation in Tennessee for a month to let this thing play out. Now I have to do some winterizing . I still have a 4 way water valve, and or plumbing that still isn't working after 4 different 4 way valves (new valves), pump and pump inspection. City water side of valve also fills the water tank at the same time. The only way I can connect to city water is to have the 4 way valve in the winterizing position. I also can't really use the oump, because it runs continuously in all positions. So when it's cold I like to disconnect the city water to keep it from freezing in the UDC, and run the pump using the tank water. Can't do that now. Spent 8 days at camping world expecting them to fix this. Nope couldn't do it. So I guess a trip to the hardware store is in order for some drop lights, and heat tape to keep things from freezing. I'm going to seal up the crack, and tape over it, and wait this out until I can get up to Elkhart. I've also bought slide supports to help alleviate any stress on anything that might be suspect. I know these supports are not needed for modern slides, but I feel in my case they will help. IDK.
Why don't you post some pictures for us all of your plumbing behind the wall. Maybe one of us can help you along and get you situated and working properly.

danemayer

City water side of valve also fills the water tank at the same time. The only way I can connect to city water is to have the 4 way valve in the winterizing position.

If your valve is in the winterizing position, the city water inlet will be connected to the input side of the pump. The only way this would work is a) if the pump is turned ON, or b) if the water pressure is forcing water to flow through the pump.

I also can't really use the pump, because it runs continuously in all positions.
When switched OFF, the pump shouldn't run at all. What do you mean by this? Are you leaving the pump turned on when connected to city water?

Anderson 4way valve 2 city.jpg

If you're on the 4th Anderson Valve, there's probably something else wrong, like the water connections are hooked up incorrectly. Use this picture to trace the water lines and verify they are connected to the right fittings on the valve.

dasmoeturhead

If I'm not on city water, and I want water to come out of the faucet, or if I want to flush a toilet I have to turn the pump on, and when I'm done using the water I must turn the pump off manually again or the pump runs continuously.

- - - Updated - - -

If your valve is in the winterizing position, the city water inlet will be connected to the input side of the pump. The only way this would work is a) if the pump is turned ON, or b) if the water pressure is forcing water to flow through the pump.

When switched OFF, the pump shouldn't run at all. What do you mean by this? Are you leaving the pump turned on when connected to city water?

View attachment 41004

If you're on the 4th Anderson Valve, there's probably something else wrong, like the water connections are hooked up incorrectly. Use this picture to trace the water lines and verify they are connected to the right fittings on the valve.
Yes, I'm Damm sure it's not the valve. I have on the recommendation of HL replaced 3 myself, and camping world did one also, even after I told them I had Zero confidence that would correct the problem . I stressed plumbing, but they were to lazy to check that.

dasmoeturhead

View attachment 41004

It a appears to be plumbed correctly.20151020_174101.jpg20151020_174101.jpg

Bones

It is really hard to tell but i think your plumbing is backwards. Can you take a photo not looking at it front the side

Bones

I can see your water supply going in the center but can't make out if you city and pump are connected correctly. When you get a chance trace your pump line and make sure the suction side matches the post earlier of the valve diagram. The fact you say you need to run the pump is not a good sign that the plumbing is hooked up correctly.

Bones

I had a chance to enlarge your picture on my computer now. I was trying too stare at it on the phone. Your line marked 2. Does that line go into the feed line for the whole coach? It looks like it goes into the pump outlet and then feeds up to the filter housing. You have a hard blue pex line on the tank side. It is marked number 1 so I am assuming that goes to your fresh tank. Do you know if all check valves are working properly?

Can you fill your water tank then switch the valve to normal and turn your water pump on and see if the pump builds pressure.

dasmoeturhead

I had a chance to enlarge your picture on my computer now. I was trying too stare at it on the phone. Your line marked 2. Does that line go into the feed line for the whole coach? It looks like it goes into the pump outlet and then feeds up to the filter housing. You have a hard blue pex line on the tank side. It is marked number 1 so I am assuming that goes to your fresh tank. Do you know if all check valves are working properly?

Can you fill your water tank then switch the valve to normal and turn your water pump on and see if the pump builds pressure.

Just got to a new campground. To answer your question, no the pump never builds pressure enough to shut off on the switch. You must physically turn the pump on if you want water, then you must shut it off when your done using whatever faucet or toilet you were using, otherwise it runs non stop, and that's in any position the 4 way valve is in. And that includes being connected to city water, or no city water just the water tank. The water tank will fill in all positions when pressurized with city water except when it's in the winterize position.

Right now I have the 4 way valve in the winter position, with the city water charged. In this configuration I have water to all receptacles, and the water works normally and the water tank doesn't fill. In any other position the above happens.

Here's one for the books as well. I have personally changed out 3 of these valves. Every time I have done this, once I was done I would check to see if the valve would work correctly and not fill.the tank. Everytime time it worked after I was done. Once I shut the city water off, and tried it again to see if it would not fill the tank in the city position, and also to see if the pump worked correctly it would go back to what it'd doing now. I did this 3 times and every time it worked right the first time you connected the city water. The pump even worked, and shut off on high pressure, and would come back on once you opened a water source up. I told camping world this, and yep, they put the new valve in, hooked up the city water and it was working perfect. I told them to show me, and when they turned the city water off at my request and then turned it back on the water tank was filling in every position except the winterizing position. I have no idea what it is, but it's definitely strange.