Cyclone - Fresh water tank supports sagging

EasyRider

BTW: I spoke with the manager at Heartland and he said it was out of factory warrantee and there was nothing he could/would do for me about this engineering flaw. Real good company PR there Anthony! I recommended he take this problem to engineering and let them know they need to investigate this to be sure other Cyclone owners don't have this problem. Pretty sure he just blew me off. Sad way to represent Heartland. Keep this in mind if you are looking to buy a Heartland unit. I certainly won't buy another one if this is the way they treat their customers.

Last edited:

danemayer

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Fresh water tank suports sagging

I ... saw that the tanks were sagging down about 2-3" below the floor framing. there is a piece of 1/2" plywood under the tanks that was soaked and molded.
Easyrider,

You have a 3-4 year old trailer with a problem that the extended warranty company doesn't want to cover. They've declared the cause to be a design defect, probably to avoid paying.

But it seems to me more likely that it might just be from a run of the mill installation error. If the crossover hose was installed imperfectly, normal sag could have stressed it enough to cause a small leak, leading to the plywood damage, leading to further sagging of the tanks and a larger leak.

If it were in fact a design defect, there would be hundreds, perhaps thousands of trailers with the same problem. Judging from posts on this forum over the past three years, that is clearly not the case. Based on what I've read here, I would say you might hear from a handful of people who have had sagging tank problems - and most of those will probably not be Cyclone owners. You may also hear from a few Cyclone owners who have had other crossover hose problems, but those were installation errors.

In my opinion, you're letting your extended warranty company off pretty easy.

EasyRider

Sorry, I tried to post my reply and wound up editing my initial post. Too long to re-type. and too angry to do it right now. Basically they say that the supports under the tank, the 1/2" oriented strand board and the 3-1/8"x2" flat steel straps, are adequate to hold the tanks up and it is OK that they bow down and the crossover hose contacts the girder member and cuts the hose. That's unacceptable engineering in my book and needs to be addressed. The warrantee company says it is a factory design flaw and won't cover it. That's why I went to Heartland directly and they blew me off because it's out of warrantee. Pretty sad commentary for the reputation of Heartland...

Look up sagging fresh water tanks on this forum. I am not the first by any means.

Nice, now I'm being blocked by the moderator... Thanks a lot guys... You all were a big help...

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

You are not being blocked by a moderator, the first two post a member makes are moderated. You should read the rules.

And I go along with Dan, you're letting the extended warranty company off to easy. But that is normal for all the extended warranty companies,,, "it is a design flaw"... or "engineering problem",, and your probably talking to someone that has no idea what your talking about,,, it's just not a covered item.
That type of problem is not covered,, and it is the same with the automobile industry with extended warranties, If the part is not specifically named, it is not covered and they sometimes have different names for the same part. There has been very little problems with the Cyclone tanks. They all sag a little.

Jim M

dougw

Not knowing what year your trailer is, I would just have to say that mine and others here in the forum have had issues with fresh water tanks. I posted some pictures myself of my "fix" for sagging water tanks. I have a 2010 3010 cyclone and the year after we had issues, Heartland re designed the tanks. I went and did the fix "my way" and so far so good. I'm sure Heartland knows of at least the 2010's having issues. You can search here for my fix and I believe "porthole" has his fix in the "so it begins" thread.

Doug

PUG

Pug

I had an 09 Cyclone that the water tank sagged badly. Instead of pulling it 200 miles to my Dealer, I pulled the plastic stuff off the bottom and welded several steel straps across the supporting "beams". Yes it was underengineered and there have been several people on this forum that have gripped about it. My cross straps fixed the problem with no further sag.

CrazyCooter

IDK if the sagging is a problem as all of my trailers have had sag when full.

I had problems with my tanks right out the gate.....it didn't even hold water when I took delivery. The hose connecting the two tanks was replaced and tore again 8 months later..... I ended up making some mounts so the tanks couldn't move around and pull the hose apart.

These things are irritating, but ALL RV's have these nagging issues due to lack of detail while under construction. If I built an RV of this size, it would weigh at least 4K more and have 6k more GVW rating....who can deal with that?