Dealer oil change overfill

MTPockets

Ford dealer overfilled 2 Qts... I always check level after an oil change and for the second time, 2 Qts. Too much. First time in Indiana, today in Glenwood Springs, CO. Just goes to show; don't assume these guys know what they're doing. Verify as best you can.

MCTalley

Been there, done that. I always check before I leave the lot now. Fortunately, for my 7.3 at least, up to about 2 quarts over isn't an issue.

TXTiger

They are also supposed to top off the DEF at every oil change but I have had to stop somewhere on the road after a dealer oil change and add DEF. Is there a way to check the level of the DEF without waiting for the low DEF warning to come on?

lwmcguir

They are also supposed to top off the DEF at every oil change but I have had to stop somewhere on the road after a dealer oil change and add DEF. Is there a way to check the level of the DEF without waiting for the low DEF warning to come on?
Your Ford will have the 1/2 full indication under the information on the computer.

lwmcguir

Been there, done that. I always check before I leave the lot now. Fortunately, for my 7.3 at least, up to about 2 quarts over isn't an issue.
Have to agree after running Ford Diesels since they came out.

Wmnmy

Same thing happened to me when we did our cross country trip last year got halfway into second state Utah checked cluster 1/2 full I check it now b4 I leave the dealership .

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Something else to keep an eye on. Verify that they actually lube the zirk fittings. On several occasions I've checked for a clean or freshly lubed tie rod or ball joint zirk. Not! Back in to the shop before leaving the parking lot. Our local place here knows me well enough now.:cool:

porthole

Retired

Where did you hear that?
Doesn't happen in Jersey, unless you pay for the DEF. And you pay for a full jug no matter how much you use.

pegmikef

Where did you hear that?
Doesn't happen in Jersey, unless you pay for the DEF. And you pay for a full jug no matter how much you use.

My dealer does the same thing and they always give me the jug when there is some left over. Once, the 2 1/2 gallon jug they gave me looked like they had used a few tablespoons out of it so I had almost a full jug.

pegmikef

Your Ford will have the 1/2 full indication under the information on the computer.

Yeah, you gotta run a system check and if it is low it will tell you that it is less than half full . . . but it doesn't tell you how much less. I always run the system check everytime I am getting ready to hook up and if less than half full, I top it off.

priorguy

Ford dealer overfilled 2 Qts... I always check level after an oil change and for the second time, 2 Qts. Too much. First time in Indiana, today in Glenwood Springs, CO. Just goes to show; don't assume these guys know what they're doing. Verify as best you can.

Is it possible your truck has a lower capacity then other diesels? I know there's been a few changes in the power strokes over the years. Maybe the guys are going off older or newer fill procedures that don't match your truck. I had a Mustang once with a bigger pan that needed 6 Litres (quarts) instead of 4. Luckily I never got dinged for the extra.

MTPockets

Is it possible your truck has a lower capacity then other diesels? I know there's been a few changes in the power strokes over the years. Maybe the guys are going off older or newer fill procedures that don't match your truck. I had a Mustang once with a bigger pan that needed 6 Litres (quarts) instead of 4. Luckily I never got dinged for the extra.
2011,12,13 diesel takes 13 Qts. - in any event, these service guys deal with a lot of engines but are trained to check the spec sheets. Older engines may have needed 15 Qts but they are suppose to know the difference. That's why I check.

lwmcguir

Yeah, you gotta run a system check and if it is low it will tell you that it is less than half full . . . but it doesn't tell you how much less. I always run the system check everytime I am getting ready to hook up and if less than half full, I top it off.
Do the same, wish they would have installed a .25% sensor

bdb2047

My last oil change at dealer, they put in wrong oil. Service advisor said I needed syn. since it was mostly towing miles. They put in regular. Took it back in they changed filter and put in syn. I checked it in parking lot and well over an inch over full mark and bill said 15 qts. Advisor had an employee verify over full and had truck taken to remove some oil. While truck was back in service manager came out and said they only had to take out a couple on ounces of oil and that I really did not need syn. Asked why advisor said I needed syn. and why the employee said it was way over and should not be. He had no answer tried to give me $100 back off bill. Kind of discouraging.

MTPockets

My last oil change at dealer, they put in wrong oil. Service advisor said I needed syn. since it was mostly towing miles. They put in regular. Took it back in they changed filter and put in syn. I checked it in parking lot and well over an inch over full mark and bill said 15 qts. Advisor had an employee verify over full and had truck taken to remove some oil. While truck was back in service manager came out and said they only had to take out a couple on ounces of oil and that I really did not need syn. Asked why advisor said I needed syn. and why the employee said it was way over and should not be. He had no answer tried to give me $100 back off bill. Kind of discouraging.
My manual clearly states that the 5w40 synthetic is to be used for severe duty service, which includes heavy towing; yet, every dealer I have used so far (4) seem to be perplexed when I tell them what I Need. Also, The last dealer carried the 5w40 in 5 qt jugs, so 3 jugs is 15 Qts - that's why it was overfilled by 2 Qts; the tech put it all in.