Dealing with surface rust

Dan54

Wondering if there are any spray on options to coat & neutralize the surface rust on the frame & other steel components under my fifth wheel? Would like to avoid sanding, priming, painting, etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple products available one being Rust-oleum Rust Reformer.
But, most require some surface prep like light sanding. You won't get away with not sanding.

Peace
Dave

jaznkatz

try Ospho......
When applied to rusted surfaces, OSPHO causes iron oxide (rust) to chemically change to iron phosphate - an inert, hard substance that turns the metal black

centerline

as stated above, ospho or rustolium rust reformer or rust converter is the go to product.....it will turn the rust to a hard black surface that can be painted over, or left as is...
DONT sand the surface clean, but just use a scraper to remove any semi loose or flaking rust then wipe down with a degreaser, and paint over whats left.... because if you clean the metal til there is NO rust, there is nothing left on the surface to convert.... once converted, paint it with rustolium rust preventative paint.

another product to use if the metal IS rust free, but in a location that is prone to rusting, use the rustolium cold galv, which is a zinc rich paint that leaves a battleship gray color that will prevent rust from forming, and can be left as is, or painted over....

dudkas

Rust-oleum Rust Reformer is what I use...I did scrape off any collection of old paint that the rust penetrated. Seems to work great. It is recommended to paint the surface after applying this product. I am not sure if I will.

1681608506708.png

wondering how many do this to their tow trucks
My tow vehicle gets Corrosion-Free every year but for some reason (unknown even to me!) I never paid attention to my last trailer with regards to rust and I ended up with a HUGE frame-rust problem that led me to get rid of it :( I'm trying to learn all I can about rust prevention on travel trailers now so I can manage it on my new North Trail.

NYSUPstater

We have the Auto-Saver's on our vehicles tho the truck has the alum body. car is a '17 and no rust anywheres. truck has some on the frame rails and bolts for the bed rail hitch. Likewise, some on springs/shocks, but otherwise AOK. The RV last I recall was AOK as well. BUT in it's defense wether or not it helps prevent it, I coat it w/ Mouse Free each fall before storage and just leave it on there rest of year after I pull it out of storage.