Decal issues

gpshemi

I recall some time back reading about a batch of decals that had manufacturing issues. My 2010 (doesn't seem that old to me, but it is I guess) has had decal issues for probably the last 3 or 4 summers. This summer is really bad. All the blue ones started to fade or color run about 4 years ago, and now they're all cracking. The silver / grey ones shrunk exposing a grey sticky border around the entire decal. I never expected them to last forever, but it makes the rig look really dated, when in reality it's in great shape really considering it's 7 seasons into life now.

I have considered having the whole rig custom painted. I know it's alot of money, but cheaper than a new rig, and we love the 3612's 40' floor plan still. Anyone done this before and where is a great place to do it? Can I have the factory do it? In fact, they could do some updates to the ours while there.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Consider a "wrap" instead of paint. Probably cheaper.

Btw we had similar issues with graphics on our 2010. When we had frame flex fixed at the factory in 2013, HL replaced a number of them. However, the new ones did the same thing. By 2016, I had a few of the new graphics that had shrunk and pealed at the edges, and the metallic gold graphics had all tarnished brown again.

Oh and HL does not do the paint, they contract with a third party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gpshemi

Sigh...I figured as much. Wonder who they contract to. I could possibly use them.

I considered a wrap, although I've never seen a wrap that was worth a woot, and frankly I'm sure it would look just as bad in 5-6 years. My pontoon is wrapped from the factory and it has wrinkled in spots. I want something that will look great for it.

NHCelt

Sigh...I figured as much. Wonder who they contract to. I could possibly use them.

I considered a wrap, although I've never seen a wrap that was worth a woot, and frankly I'm sure it would look just as bad in 5-6 years. My pontoon is wrapped from the factory and it has wrinkled in spots. I want something that will look great for it.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

MCTalley

This place up in Bremen, Indiana seems to get good reviews:

Mike's Custom Painting

I ran across them a couple years ago on the RV Dreams blog when they left their several year old rig there to get painted.

[Blog Entry]

Back in 2014, a 35-40' fifth wheel ran about $9,500 for the entire job. Expect about a $10-11k bill now. Still much cheaper than a new(er) rig.

gpshemi

Benn talking with them since this post started. They finally quoted it. $11,000.

It is cheaper than a new rig, but would be a heck of a down payment on one. Loving that new Cyclone 4005 floorplan.

mlpeloquin

If Heartland does not supply the older graphics, they have a outside supplier that makes them. I read this in another post sometime back. You might want to contact Heartland about who supplies the older graphics. If you redo the graphics yourself, you most likely could do it several times before spending 11K on paint. Getting them of one at a time and replacing it as you go. The graphics need to be coated with a good UV protectant at all times to get the most life out of them. I wash and Rejex it and then wax several times each year. Strip it all and redo once a year.

gpshemi

True, but the filon has yellowed some as well. You can see a shade difference in the skirting and the sides.

Tree14

If Heartland does not supply the older graphics, they have a outside supplier that makes them. I read this in another post sometime back. You might want to contact Heartland about who supplies the older graphics. If you redo the graphics yourself, you most likely could do it several times before spending 11K on paint. Getting them of one at a time and replacing it as you go. The graphics need to be coated with a good UV protectant at all times to get the most life out of them. I wash and Rejex it and then wax several times each year. Strip it all and redo once a year.
Hello we have 2016 Cyclone 4200 and just noticed our Cyclone graphics are lifting.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk