Disc Brakes and Wheel Offset - will your spare tire wheel fit?

jbeletti

Hi all,

I have some abnormal wear on a single tire on my Landmark. This coach had MORryde Independent Suspension installed on it - aftermarket. After 2 seasons of travel, I think I need the suspension realigned. But that's a topic for another thread, once I have it done :)

This topic is all about wheel fitment on RVs that have had Disc Brakes added in the aftermarket.

So the question is, have you checked the wheel of your spare tire to ensure it has the proper offset to provide proper clearances around the disc brake assemblies?

I never thought to check mine and guess what, the steel wheel my spare is mounted to will does not have a deep enough offset to provide the proper clearance. This is no one's fault but my own. I will now source a wheel with a deeper offset.

Check yours! :)

Here's what improper fitment looks like. Note both photos are rotated 90 degrees clockwise from how they were taken.

IMG_0013.jpg IMG_0015.jpg

danemayer

Jim,

Are your wheels, including the spare, all from the factory? If so, I'm wondering why they're not all the same.

jbeletti

Jim,

Are your wheels, including the spare, all from the factory? If so, I'm wondering why they're not all the same.

Dan - yes, all from the factory. The spare wheel is steel where the 4 in-use wheels are not.

That said, the disc brakes were added aftermarket. They "happened" to fit within the 4 OEM wheels.

The spare wheel would likely have also fit the drum brake wheels.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I am surprised MorRyde doen't bring that up about the spare tire. Surely others have asked. Hmmm.

pegmikef

Are your wheels different from the 2016 Landmarks as I know folks with after market disc brakes who have used their spare wheel. They have the Titan Brakes installed by Performance Braking. They do not have Moryde suspension.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Jim this is bad timing for you. Eric and Leona had a brand new Aluminum wheel and Goodyear tire for sale in Jackson. You walked right by it 100 times.

My spare on our 2015 Ashland is Aluminum same as the rest of my wheels..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

danemayer

So, is there a way to check out our spares, short of dismounting a tire and putting on the spare?

jbeletti

Jim this is bad timing for you. Eric and Leona had a brand new Aluminum wheel and Goodyear tire for sale in Jackson. You walked right by it 100 times.

My spare on our 2015 Ashland is Aluminum same as the rest of my wheels..

You’re lucky :)

I’ve asked Heartland to send me a Sailun and a rim that matches the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

So, is there a way to check out our spares, short of dismounting a tire and putting on the spare?
Yes, I am sure there is a way. I measured the depth (backspacing) of the steel rim. It looks to be about 4.5" I wasn't able to quickly check the wheel that came on the RV (4 of them) as I didn't have at hand, a straight edge that I could set on the back of the rim as the tire itself, when mounted, sticks out more than the rim.

So the short answer is, for the Kodiak disc brakes on my coach, I need more than 4.5" of clearance of backspacing of the rim. I'm estimating I need 5" to 5.25" of backspacing on the wheels to use with the Kodiak brakes.

I expect to hear back from MORryde on what they require and will post back here when I learn that.

I've shared this info with Michael Barnett of Performance Trailer Braking as well.

jbeletti

Are your wheels different from the 2016 Landmarks as I know folks with after market disc brakes who have used their spare wheel. They have the Titan Brakes installed by Performance Braking (PTB). They do not have Moryde suspension.
My wheels do "look" different (styling) than those on my last coach but I can't speak to the offset.

I'm guessing that the Titan disc brake assemblies are a bit shallower than the Kodiak assemblies that MORryde (MR)installs. In the next week or so, I hope to get clarification from PTB and MR and will report back here.

The MR Independent Suspension isn't contributory to my clearance issues.

jbeletti

I am surprised MorRyde doen't bring that up about the spare tire. Surely others have asked. Hmmm.
Mark - just today, via email, I suggested that they consider incorporating this "check" as part of their aftermarket disc brake installs and that they notify their customers anytime the spare tire rims appears to NOT be deep enough and to supply a letter stating such and supplying the correct offset (backspacing). Then the customer can take that letter with them when they go rim shopping.

hoefler

When I installed disc brakes on our coach, the 17.5 wheels that I purchased the year before, would not clear the calipers. I ordered 4 1/4" spacers for $10 a piece and solved my problem.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I had a wheel off anyway so I dropped the spare to check. No problem on the 2017 Cyclone with 16" wheels.
IMG_2815.jpgIMG_2816.jpg
Perhaps the issue is with 17.5" wheels only?

Gary521

When I installed disc brakes on our coach, the 17.5 wheels that I purchased the year before, would not clear the calipers. I ordered 4 1/4" spacers for $10 a piece and solved my problem.

Where did you get the spacers?

danemayer

Ok, so I guess instead of measuring, I can probably just carry 2 spacers like these for $14.99. If the spare doesn't fit, I put one or two spacers on to get additional clearance.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ok, so I guess instead of measuring, I can probably just carry 2 spacers like these for $14.99. If the spare doesn't fit, I put one or two spacers on to get additional clearance.
Don't forget that the studs are barely long enough to begin with, so double check the amount of threads you you'll be able to still grab with the lug nut if you use the spacers. But I guess If it's a steel wheel you shouldn't have any issues.
Just something to keep in mind.