Do any other Sundance owners feel like they have a POS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim/rsvl/AR

We had a problem with a leak in the slideout. The carpet got wet and had to be replaced. Jim Fenner & Steve Kennel with Heartland sent us to RV Capital Service Center in Elkhart, IN where Brian and his crew made the necessary repairs. We were pleased with the service and would not hesitate to return if other issues occur.

Rookey

We our the happy owners of a 2008 2900MK. We purchased almost 1 year ago and use it at least 2 times a month year round at beaches and mostly the Sierras. It keeps us warm in the Winter and cool during the Summer. We have had some minor issues - no leaks so far, that were taken care of promptly and very professionally. Unfortunately, our dealer has closed his doors (Dan Gamel - in CA). I was not happy with the original tires - I replaced. I've made most of the minor repairs that one will find in any new RV - IMO that's to be expected. I have noticed that the wrench monkeys are over-zealous with their power tools. Lots of stripped screws. I hope you get your problems resolved and do what Jim mentioned - make a list and knock them-out one at a time. Good luck. Mike

StevieWonder

I have a 2800RLS. My experience is limited since my daughter was in law school and we became tied down with real jobs and two grandkids to babysit on a recurring basis. We're venturing out again in a week or so to Arkansas.

I haven't had the kind of problems that you've experienced. I did have a hot water heater gas control valve go out but nothing as serious as you've encountered.

The dealers have been exceptional in their support and I've never had a warranty item questioned. I can't speak highly enough about Heartland in that regard.

I've owned big $$$ motorcoaches and I've had some of the same issues. Broken water line that I, thankfully, heard go "pop" followed by the sound of water running inside the wall ... a full blown disaster if I hadn't been lucky enough to be there. Bad refrigerator, bad slide, leaking basement compartments, bad hot water heater, incessant issues with TVs and satellite systems (stationary and in-motion). I think you are the unlucky recepient of a bad day on the assembly line. If you build enough of anything, even a Rolls Royce, eventually you get one that just seems to have more than its fair share of issues.

The good news is that all of the items can be dealt with successfully and that Heartland will back their product up like very few, including those high $$$ coach builders.

boydk2001

I sure hope not!!! My wife and I just bought an 09 2900MK on Sat. Will pick it up next week. You can rest assured we will be doing a through walk thru. Hopefully all that are having problems will get them straightened out. And hopefully ours will be perfect in everyway. (Yes I know as with all things mechanical you have to expect to do some fixing:)

Duramax1

We have now been on the road now for 10 days in our new 2009 2900MK Sundance.

We have experienced the same two water leaks that other people have mentioned. The first was under the sink which was fixed by simply tightening the big nut that attaches to the drain in the sink. The second was a leak from the hot water tank that was fixed by simply tightening the hot water outlet from the tank.

I must say that we could not be happier with our choice in travel trailers.

The Sundance is well designed, well constructed and well price.

I LOVE HEARTLAND and MY SUNDANCE!!!!! We too are in California and purchased our 2998RB from Dan Gamel in June, they have since closed their doors. We were very worried about getting service, since nothing is perfect, we expected to be a the dealership (who knows which one?!) somewhat often in the first year. I have to say thanks to this forum and as other posters stated, we have been proactive and have not had any major issues. I get nervous when I read all the negative issues people have, especially since we don't have a dealer. But I know that Heartland is a good company and will stand behind their product. I love that they encourage us to try to make repairs ourselves where we can and thankfully my husband is handy and keeps on top of this board. We have a leak problems, but they were easily fixed. In fact, this past weekend the valve on the toilet in the back burst (it was cross threaded), ran to the nearest Camping World and my hubby had it fixed in a jiffy. These things are going to have their issues, especially since they are moving vehicles, hang in there and God Bless Heartland for making an effort to keep customers happy and do right by them!!!! What other companies have actual representatives that watch the boards and personally respond to our needs? Best of luck to you...keep us posted.

Netem

We are very happy with our 2900 MK. If people were to ride in their RV while going down some of these roads they would see why things seem to get loose. I would bet that if you put wheels under my house and pulled it down the road I would be very busy tightening things up. An RV is going to take alittle Maint. just as your house does. Be glad we have a Co. like Heartland that stands behind their product.

buckeyebob

2009 2900mk sundance

on our trip home from dealer with new trailer in tow we couldnt unhooke in our driveway because our landing gear drive gearbox cover broke.jim may rv of findlay ohio drove 70 miles to my home next day and installed new drive unit.the main thung about a 09 2900mk that you need to check is the 2 end slideout windows on the sofa/dinette slide both leaked on my unit.rotted both uprite trim pieces.the windows arent properly sealed on the sides and water enters and goes BETWEEN the walls and leeches out on the carpet at floor level!!!!when i took it to my dealer i checked 2 other 09 units like mine and BOTH had soaked floors at each end of slideout!!!!dealer replaced wood and sealed windows.no more leaks.all the hand turnable plumbing fittings leaked after a few trips on the road,which i tightened myself.the little pannel under bathroom sink should be removed and you might find the sink faucet connections leak.mine had been leaking for some time and i reached up under faucet and tightened them.kithen sink seal leaked.water tank would only hold 15 gallons,plugged vent hose.each time i takeunit to dealer is 280 miles !!!!done that 2 times so far.HOWEVER i still love this camper!!if sundance is bad you shoulda had my 07 keystone zeppelin!!they dont even return your calls.heartland is right back to you whether email or phone.yes they need better quality control.buckeyebob

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
2009 Sundance 2900MK

on our trip home from dealer with new trailer in tow we couldnt unhooke in our driveway because our landing gear drive gearbox cover broke.jim may rv of findlay ohio drove 70 miles to my home next day and installed new drive unit.the main thung about a 09 2900mk that you need to check is the 2 end slideout windows on the sofa/dinette slide both leaked on my unit.rotted both uprite trim pieces.the windows arent properly sealed on the sides and water enters and goes BETWEEN the walls and leeches out on the carpet at floor level!!!!when i took it to my dealer i checked 2 other 09 units like mine and BOTH had soaked floors at each end of slideout!!!!dealer replaced wood and sealed windows.no more leaks.all the hand turnable plumbing fittings leaked after a few trips on the road,which i tightened myself.the little pannel under bathroom sink should be removed and you might find the sink faucet connections leak.mine had been leaking for some time and i reached up under faucet and tightened them.kithen sink seal leaked.water tank would only hold 15 gallons,plugged vent hose.each time i takeunit to dealer is 280 miles !!!!done that 2 times so far.HOWEVER i still love this camper!!if sundance is bad you shoulda had my 07 keystone zeppelin!!they dont even return your calls.heartland is right back to you whether email or phone.yes they need better quality control.buckeyebob
Great information. I am new and this is my first post. I am picking up my 2009 Sundance 2900MK in 2 weeks from Chesapeake RV Solutions. Since we just had Tropical Storm Hanna blow through, I will definitely pay attention to water leaks at the PDI. Loose water connections from vibrations I understand, but leaking windows due to improper sealing shouldn't happen. I have learned volumes from reading these posts. Thanks to all for your input. I purchased the Sundance because I have been impressed with the floorplan and finish, after years of looking attending trade shows and RV dealers. Knowing that Heartland stands behind their product, and believing (at this point) that Chesapeake RV Solutions will support me for any repair/adjustments following the sale will hopefully give me years of great RV experience.None

jopatk

We are the proud owners of a 2009 2998RB Sundance 5th Wheel. I looked around intently before trading my last 5er in on it and could not find a better camper for the money with the amenities we wanted. It was superior to everything we looked at. The dealer discovered a small tear in our kitchen linoleum before taking delivery, so we left the unit there until it was fixed (dealer l60 miles away). Since then I had problems with the rear bathroom sewer outlet spewing sewage out at me when opening the cap. Called Heartland and they let me take it to a longer repair place to get it fixed and then reimbursed me. That way I didn't have to take it all the way back to the dealer. I am totally sold on the Sundance and Heartland and would recommend them to anyone. We love our model. Some of the problems people are talking about are common problems to RV's in general. You should hear some of the problems friends are having with their $250K motorhomes.

Jimmyt5

Dutchman I think you will find Chesapeake RV to be real good people. I purchased my BH from them and they have been real great to deal with. Say hello to Tim for me.....
Jim

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We just purchased a 2900MK from McGeorges RV in Ashland, VA. We don't pick it up until this coming Thursday. With Hanna having just dumped over 6 inches of rain, any evidence of roof or slide leaks should still be apparent on Thursday, so I'll keep a close look out during our PDI. I downloaded a very detailed PDI checklist and intend to use it faithfully. Having owned many boats, I expect to have faucet leaks, water line leaks, loose screws, etc, after we start using the trailer. To me, these are normal maintenance expectations. We looked at literally dozens of floor plans from multiple manufactures and dealers, but settled on the Sundance for many reasons. We can't wait to get started.

fishn2dmax

Boat to 5er, Congratulations on the New 2900 MK Sundance! We too have the 2900 MK and love the floorplan. You have the right perspective on owning an RV. Stuff can and will happen with any new RV/ trailer. While I've had my fair share of issues with my Sundance, I decided to just work through them and not complain about every new little discovery on this forum. The vast majority of all my issues have been minor annoyances or things that I just fix as we discover them. As long as RV owners are realistic understand the quality of any new RV is rarely ever going to be perfect ( based on the way their made and conditions RV's and trailers are exposed to), the better able new owners will be prepared to address the issues and enjoy their RV/ trailer - Being a little handy able to fix things is definetly a big plus for a prospective RV owner.

J

Jumpshot

We have a 2009, 3012RE that we had a number of the same problems with, the Kitchen sink leaked, as did the hot water tank and the shower. I managed to fix them all myself by tightening the fittings. We also had problems with all the bolts coming loose in our slides which thanks to this forum I was able to correct before any damage was done.

what bolts on the slides? I also have a 2009 3012RE.

dreamer

We purchased a new 09 2900mk in June and immediately left for a 3 month trip to Alaska.We liked this trailer much better than the Rockwood we had previously but it was a good trailer. We travelled 12000 miles , yes on the original 16 inch Mission tires,no problems.I was sceptical because we had major blowouts on the Carlise tires on the previous Rockwood. The only major issue with the trailer was major amounts of dust coming in on gravel roads from under the two rear slides. When the slides are in you can put your finger between the rubber seal and floor bottom. I am trying to get the dealer to look at it.None

Last edited:
sundance

Have had the same minor problems as others ( leaking kit sink hose, sink drain, lots of sawdust behind panels ect) but overall very happy with the unit. It seems the same problems are stated from many owners, you would think the factory would go back to the workers and tell them to fix these things before they go to the dealer. None

Thedonald

Thedonald

I have a 2007 Sundance 3200 ES and a lot of this sounds oh to familiar. Especially the water issues and the stuck slides. I have both. In addition to the water problems already stated, I also have had problems with water coming around the closed slides when in transit during the rain. As for the stuck slides, I have never really found out why except by "messing with them" I have been able to get them to work. I hate to say it but I too believe Heartland has a serious QA problem. I have also had problems getting parts. The replies I receive asking me to send them a picture of the part, even though I provided the year, make, and serial number, tells me there is no standardization nor configuration management.

lawnboy01

We have an 2008 Sundance 3300 BHS. Got it in July and have been in it every weekend since we got it. Our dealer (General RV) went over all the plumbing before we picked it up. They had fresh water tank filled and all the lines charged when we got there. They did say they had to fix a couple of leaks. We love it. The only problems we have are : the shower floor has a hairline crack in it, toilet doesn't hold water and I was getting sewer gas in the camper. Knock on wood, everything else seems good.

Status
Not open for further replies.