Dodge ram 2500 engine brake

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
The problem with the engine brake CEL is the fact that the sensor, screwed into the Radiator hose fitting on the top has a 3/8 inch stainless steel line that monitors the engine pressure for the Engine Brake. This allows soot to build up in the line as well as the sensor and housing.

If you look you will see that the line comes off of the housing, makes a sharp turn, runs parallel to the block, turns sharply again and screws into the exhaust manifold.
]

Are you sure about that? Before I put a set of twins on my old 6.7 I had a pretty big single turbo on it. While using the stock manifold I also pulled that little Stainless Steel line off. Inside that hole it did not lead into the manifold. It went no where's. I never really understood what the purpose of it was for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

MdMike

Are you sure it is not plugged with soot? The end at the sensor was clogged so I guess the other end could be as well. It was solid and felt like it was a piece of the housing. I had to twist a drill but with my fingers to bore thru it.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
I remember looking into mine. There was no access to the inside of the manifold. Just a small chamber under the threads. So I left it off after I put the bigger turbo on. It could have been a casting issue. But I assumed they were all like that as well . I was looking for old pictures as I took a ton when I did the swap. Haven't found them yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

MdMike

If it was like the other end of mine where the fitting screwed into the housing on the upper hose mount it may have been so plugged with soot it appeared to go nowhere... Just a thought. I only had soot in the tube at the bend by the upper hose housing and where the housing accepted the tube. I bored that out with a small drill bit and my fingers and cleared the tube with the brake cleaner and the extension tube.