Dually v.s. Single rear wheel for towing stability.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It must be a visual thing. My wife drove our full sized vans all over without a problem. She loved driving my Avalanche,too, which was only 2 feet shorter. Width wise, the mirrors needed the same clearance as the rear fenders on the dually. But she claims it's too big for her to be comfortable driving other than the open freeway (without the trailer).

But then, I drive fire trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Running your tire pressure at full psi helps with some of the sway. A friend of mine has a anti sway hitch for sale. He said that it worked great on his TT

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Had I thought that we were going to get a 5th-wheel when we bought our truck I probably would have gotten at least a diesel, if not a dually as well.

However, we chose the 5th-wheeler to fit the truck we had, and it is my daily driver (already 54,000 miles in 2 1/2 years), so I am not unhappy with my choice.

Next time around . . . who knows!

Mrsfish

It must be a visual thing. My wife drove our full sized vans all over without a problem. She loved driving my Avalanche,too, which was only 2 feet shorter. Width wise, the mirrors needed the same clearance as the rear fenders on the dually. But she claims it's too big for her to be comfortable driving other than the open freeway (without the trailer).

But then, I drive fire trucks.

and you just answered your own question. I drive a desk- so the dually feels like a monstrosity to me. The srw, short bed was the perfect big truck to me, but I almost never drive while towing. As I said, my DH loves the dually and uses it for his daily driver now with no complaints.

BigGuy82

There are tribes centered around this issue. The day of the dually is rapidly disappearing because of frame and tire advancements. But folks are also buying bigger and bigger rigs, and toy haulers. My SRW has a payload rating of 4300 lbs, which is more than enough to tow the BC3650RL. The towing capacity is 17,000 lbs. I do not know what else one would want in a tow vehicle.

A dually is not going to keep your rig from turning over, once that fiver starts over, it matters little what you are towing with, If you see my SRW rig pull off the road because of wind, you should consider doing the same with your DRW.

There is no braking advantage between a DRW and SRW because 75% of breaking takes place on the front axle, and a SRW has more rubber in front than a DRW truck, the additional rubber on the rear of the dually is insignificant when actually measured, as is the wider wheel spacing. Measure it, it's not that much.

DRW trucks have notoriously bad traction in dirt, rain, and ice. 4X4 is a desirable option for many who are DRW drivers. DRW truck can get stuck and never sink into the mud, they just can't move.

Then you must pay for the energy to turn all that mass involved with 6 wheels and tires turning, that translates directly to fuel consumption. So you will want to limit the use of the DRW to towing your rig.

Then there are licensing issues (in Texas anyway). Pretty much in this state DRW + 15500 GVW rig = Class A license.

However most duallys offer the lower axle ratios (RAM does not in the SRW), which is a plus for the larger heavier rigs. IF you are needing a dually because of payload and towing capability, then you probably need to consider the axle ratio as well.

I recommend doing the math and buying no more than what you need or anticipate needing. Of course if you were anticipating a 2 year tour of the USA in a fairly good sized fiver (as opposed to 3 to 5K per season), then the DRW consideration may weigh into the selection process.

"The day of the dually is rapidly disappearing"? LOL. You should tell that to all of the dually drivers I see in campgrounds.

With all of the advances you are mentioning, how are they doing with high pin and tow weights? Who needs it? Those of us who want a margin of safety and who would also prefer not to buy a new tow vehicle when we move up. And stability? No comparison - an SRW is not even close. If I see you pulled over due to wind, I'll get in the left hand lane for safety. I'm curious - have you owned a dually? (Yes I have owned both). Of course I have four wheel drive on my dually. Why would you own any truck without it?

I'll spread the weight out over four rear tires and enjoy the stability regardless of the load and if I lose one to a blowout, I'll have a better chance of maintaining control than an SRW rig. If buying two more tires and getting 1/2 mile more per gallon is the price, I'll pay it.

I do agree with buying no more than you need ... PLUS a safety margin of course. My biggest complaint with my dually is that I can't get it through a car wash. An SRW is certainly more "town friendly"

But hey ... enjoy whatever floats your boat.

JSchneib

There are tribes centered around this issue. The day of the dually is rapidly disappearing because of frame and tire advancements. But folks are also buying bigger and bigger rigs, and toy haulers. My SRW has a payload rating of 4300 lbs, which is more than enough to tow the BC3650RL. The towing capacity is 17,000 lbs. I do not know what else one would want in a tow vehicle.

A dually is not going to keep your rig from turning over, once that fiver starts over, it matters little what you are towing with, If you see my SRW rig pull off the road because of wind, you should consider doing the same with your DRW.

There is no braking advantage between a DRW and SRW because 75% of breaking takes place on the front axle, and a SRW has more rubber in front than a DRW truck, the additional rubber on the rear of the dually is insignificant when actually measured, as is the wider wheel spacing. Measure it, it's not that much.

DRW trucks have notoriously bad traction in dirt, rain, and ice. 4X4 is a desirable option for many who are DRW drivers. DRW truck can get stuck and never sink into the mud, they just can't move.

Then you must pay for the energy to turn all that mass involved with 6 wheels and tires turning, that translates directly to fuel consumption. So you will want to limit the use of the DRW to towing your rig.

Then there are licensing issues (in Texas anyway). Pretty much in this state DRW + 15500 GVW rig = Class A license.

However most duallys offer the lower axle ratios (RAM does not in the SRW), which is a plus for the larger heavier rigs. IF you are needing a dually because of payload and towing capability, then you probably need to consider the axle ratio as well.

I recommend doing the math and buying no more than what you need or anticipate needing. Of course if you were anticipating a 2 year tour of the USA in a fairly good sized fiver (as opposed to 3 to 5K per season), then the DRW consideration may weigh into the selection process.
Not pulling a 'fiver'.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

I don't understand this "too big for daily driving." Mine is my preferred daily driver and other than parking spots that are marked for compact cars only, it's no problem taking it anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even full sized spots are a problem. I can fit between the lines, but the other guys are tight when it comes to exiting their cars. Doesn't matter - I just park a little further away. My only real gripe is not being able to fit in a car wash.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

I have a dully crew cab with a standard bed. Long and wide. Turns like a buss in tight places almost like my wife's old 90's Mustang. It had the shortest rack and pinion you have ever seen. Anyway, after I got used to it, I park it in any parking lot between the lines without much trouble. I sometimes have to back up do to the narrowness between the rows, but most of the time I nail it. If the back end sticks out a foot, so what. Most of the time it fits, or I choose a space that has the opposite space open so I can put the front end into it a foot or so. Once you are used to driving it, turning and parking is second nature. It is stable and that is why I purchased a dully. I have watched SW trucks with fifth wheels sway some in strong side winds. I don't and I will slow it down if the SW's are swaying.

JSchneib

I have a dully crew cab with a standard bed. Long and wide. Turns like a buss in tight places almost like my wife's old 90's Mustang. It had the shortest rack and pinion you have ever seen. Anyway, after I got used to it, I park it in any parking lot between the lines without much trouble. I sometimes have to back up do to the narrowness between the rows, but most of the time I nail it. If the back end sticks out a foot, so what. Most of the time it fits, or I choose a space that has the opposite space open so I can put the front end into it a foot or so. Once you are used to driving it, turning and parking is second nature. It is stable and that is why I purchased a dully. I have watched SW trucks with fifth wheels sway some in strong side winds. I don't and I will slow it down if the SW's are swaying.
Thanks.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we looked at our first ever RV, a 21' North Trail, we were told our 2002 Toyota Tacoma could tow it. The Tacoma had a 5000lb tow rating, the trailer had a dry weight of 4450, GVWR of 6900. We didn't buy, until we had a tow vehicle that could pull it. We decided a 2005 V8 Toyota 4Runner could, with a 7k rating. Well, yes it would pull it, but every semi that passed us would make us sway, even with the weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar. (We also weighed ourselves, we were not overweight.)

It didn't take long before that 4Runner was traded for a 2008 Toyota Tundra, with a 10k tow rating and of course longer wheelbase. Why? Because it was the SAFE thing to do.

Better to have more than enough than barely enough.

brianlajoie

I think what is missing from the conversation is tires. When I went from OEM load range "E" to my new load range "G" tires on my SRW, we notice there was considerably less sway from the wind and big semi's. Just like replacing the trailer tires, these tires stand tall on the truck. This could be an option for those like us that a DRW is not an option.

JSchneib

I think what is missing from the conversation is tires. When I went from OEM load range "E" to my new load range "G" tires on my SRW, we notice there was considerably less sway from the wind and big semi's. Just like replacing the trailer tires, these tires stand tall on the truck. This could be an option for those like us that a DRW is not an option.
Great point

JohnD

27rks Trail Runner

You don't need a dually for that trailer . . .

We had a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 22RK when we bought our 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD SRW and it was way overkill for that Trail Runner.

I would almost forget the trailer was back there . . .

Newtruck&trailer-IMG_20140829_090639644.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

Truck&CamperAtGasStationSmall.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

JohnD

Driving down to the Tucson AZ HOC Rodeo Rally last year we pulled our Prowler through some of the strongest winds I've ever pulled in . . . and I've pulled in some pretty big winds!

My truck handled it fine and I had no sway, even when big semi trucks passed us.

Although it did suck down the gas!

ProwlerInSantaFe-IMAG0216.jpg
In Santa Fe, NM on the way to Tucson, AZ.

Oregon_Camper

Driving down to the Tucson AZ HOC Rodeo Rally last year we pulled our Prowler through some of the strongest winds I've ever pulled in . . . and I've pulled in some pretty big winds!

My truck handled it fine and I had no sway, even when big semi trucks passed us.

However, you are a ~3,000lbs less than my setup and ~4,500 less than some Landmarks, which is a 25%-42% increase in weight.

Bones

With my set up I moved to the Dually. I had the same problem as posted earlier here with the trailer pushing the truck in turns. The DW even said she can feel the difference in towing as well as my fatigue level is not as bad either. I also drive my truck every day in and around town. I have run across a few issues with parking and also know I can not park in any of our parking decks around here either. I can fit the truck in-between the lines with the tow mirrors pulled in. All of that said towing a travel trailer with a dually does not guarantee you will not flip over.

In the video he/she appears to be pulling a park model and I can not tell if he/she has tow bars on or not. There is a very good chance this would happen with a SRW too.

BigGuy82

With my set up I moved to the Dually. I had the same problem as posted earlier here with the trailer pushing the truck in turns. The DW even said she can feel the difference in towing as well as my fatigue level is not as bad either. I also drive my truck every day in and around town. I have run across a few issues with parking and also know I can not park in any of our parking decks around here either. I can fit the truck in-between the lines with the tow mirrors pulled in. All of that said towing a travel trailer with a dually does not guarantee you will not flip over.

In the video he/she appears to be pulling a park model and I can not tell if he/she has tow bars on or not. There is a very good chance this would happen with a SRW too.

Another reason why towing a fiver is safer. Also, can't tell but if it was a park model, likely he wasn't using any type of stabilization on the hitch. Also, who knows - if it was an SRW, it might have taken the truck with it.

Also a very good demonstration as to why chains are required on ball hitches - note that the trailer is pulled from the ball. Not very likely a fiver would ever separate from it's hitch, unless it was an Anderson.

szewczyk_john

Over the last 2 months, I have given this topic much thought. We decided to go with the dully and I will not even second guess myself and I have not even pulled the trailer yet. I use the truck as a daily driver until I can get one of the two motorcycles out and then the truck is only used for really bad weather days or towing. I have had no issues with the size nor parking. As far as the width goes, the mirrors remain the widest part of the truck. So if you can get a SRW truck into the garage with the mirrors open, then the dually will fit in the garage. It might be hard to move around with the truck in there put it will fit. I do park further away from the store front, but I did that with the SRW as well. just too many inconsiderate people that will ding your truck up. I never have a problem getting between the lines, the ones driving their subcompact cars are the ones that cant seem to fit between the lines to me.

For me, it came down to a safety issue. I wanted to provide my family with the best tool for the job. I admit that I actually did buy more truck then I need at this time. I have room to upgrade should we ever decide to do that in the future. The fact that not having enough truck to pull that possible new camper will never have to come into play with our future decisions and that is just another added benefit and more peace of mind for me. Just like that pair of 18 inch channel locks that I have. I think I only used them twice but when I needed them, I was glad that I had them. This is how I look at my new truck, it is a tool that was bought for a specific job of pulling the fifth wheel. How many people turn down the 18 volt power tool set because you can't see spending the extra $10.00 over the 12 volt set? I spent an $1200 to get that dually set up and I believe it to be money well spent.

From the time we bought the Road Warrior, I knew that our truck was not big enough. It took me all this time to be in a position to afford what we decided to buy. I too, we gladly use a little more diesel and spent extra money on tires all for the safety of my family and the piece of mind that I now have.

BigGuy82

Over the last 2 months, I have given this topic much thought. We decided to go with the dully and I will not even second guess myself and I have not even pulled the trailer yet. I use the truck as a daily driver until I can get one of the two motorcycles out and then the truck is only used for really bad weather days or towing. I have had no issues with the size nor parking. As far as the width goes, the mirrors remain the widest part of the truck. So if you can get a SRW truck into the garage with the mirrors open, then the dually will fit in the garage. It might be hard to move around with the truck in there put it will fit. I do park further away from the store front, but I did that with the SRW as well. just too many inconsiderate people that will ding your truck up. I never have a problem getting between the lines, the ones driving their subcompact cars are the ones that cant seem to fit between the lines to me.

For me, it came down to a safety issue. I wanted to provide my family with the best tool for the job. I admit that I actually did buy more truck then I need at this time. I have room to upgrade should we ever decide to do that in the future. The fact that not having enough truck to pull that possible new camper will never have to come into play with our future decisions and that is just another added benefit and more peace of mind for me. Just like that pair of 18 inch channel locks that I have. I think I only used them twice but when I needed them, I was glad that I had them. This is how I look at my new truck, it is a tool that was bought for a specific job of pulling the fifth wheel. How many people turn down the 18 volt power tool set because you can't see spending the extra $10.00 over the 12 volt set? I spent an $1200 to get that dually set up and I believe it to be money well spent.

From the time we bought the Road Warrior, I knew that our truck was not big enough. It took me all this time to be in a position to afford what we decided to buy. I too, we gladly use a little more diesel and spent extra money on tires all for the safety of my family and the piece of mind that I now have.

Congratulations! Great choice and you're gonna love it! Wait until you see the difference on the road!