Dually v.s. Single rear wheel for towing stability.

Bones

I would like to throw one more video in. I think this demonstrates very well weight distribution no matter what you tow.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on your choice. I don't think you will be disappointed. Please post a pic if you were able to get your truck in the garage. I have two single door garages and that thing would never fit in there.

jbeletti

I would like to throw one more video in. I think this demonstrates very well weight distribution no matter what you tow.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on your choice. I don't think you will be disappointed. Please post a pic if you were able to get your truck in the garage. I have two single door garages and that thing would never fit in there.

That model based demonstration was very informative.

farside291

Another plus for the dually, I just had an outside tire go flat on the rear. Someone had to tell me I had a flat. I never knew. Now I just have to figure out why the tire pressure monitor didn't tell me. I have no idea how long it was deflated. But, big trailers, high pin weight = dually, unless you want to step up to a "G" rated tire. Just my opinion, I have towed fifth wheels with duallys and SRW. Night and day difference especially in a side wind.

szewczyk_john

Congrats on your choice. I don't think you will be disappointed. Please post a pic if you were able to get your truck in the garage. I have two single door garages and that thing would never fit in there.[/QUOTE]

I know that it will fit but I have so much stuff in there right now is not the time to try. I built the garage during an addition add on to the house. I tore down the garage in order to get a proper footer under it, to build up on top of the garage. It was made with a wider door and 2 extra courses of block, soI know it will fit.
At the moment I have a table saw, radial arm saw, cruiser and full dresser motorcycles, the wives Cadilac DTS and a bunch of the finish trim for the room I am currently finishing. SO that picture will have to wait for a while. As soon as the weather breaks, tree removal, a new carport and driveway will be on top of the to do list.

Bones

I know that it will fit but I have so much stuff in there right now is not the time to try. I built the garage during an addition add on to the house. I tore down the garage in order to get a proper footer under it, to build up on top of the garage. It was made with a wider door and 2 extra courses of block, soI know it will fit.
At the moment I have a table saw, radial arm saw, cruiser and full dresser motorcycles, the wives Cadilac DTS and a bunch of the finish trim for the room I am currently finishing. SO that picture will have to wait for a while. As soon as the weather breaks, tree removal, a new carport and driveway will be on top of the to do list.[/QUOTE]

Nice. I have standard doors on mine. Good thing you built the opening wider.

mlpeloquin

With my set up I moved to the Dually. I had the same problem as posted earlier here with the trailer pushing the truck in turns. The DW even said she can feel the difference in towing as well as my fatigue level is not as bad either. I also drive my truck every day in and around town. I have run across a few issues with parking and also know I can not park in any of our parking decks around here either. I can fit the truck in-between the lines with the tow mirrors pulled in. All of that said towing a travel trailer with a dually does not guarantee you will not flip over.

In the video he/she appears to be pulling a park model and I can not tell if he/she has tow bars on or not. There is a very good chance this would happen with a SRW too.

It is obvious that the trailer was swaying badly. He should have slowed to a crawl or stopped. Some people people don't think it can happen to them, I always do. With bad side winds in the desert, some semi's have flipped even when parked on the side of the road along with RV's. It has been several years since this has happened, but it has happened. I always check what the prediction of the wind speed will be and direction. Going into or with is no problem. I have delayed driving for a day and have left two days early to avoid strong side winds. Safety first.

By the way, measure the height of your truck and the clearance of your garage door opening. My truck is three inches too tall.

Bones

It is obvious that the trailer was swaying badly. He should have slowed to a crawl or stopped. Some people people don't think it can happen to them, I always do. With bad side winds in the desert, some semi's have flipped even when parked on the side of the road along with RV's. It has been several years since this has happened, but it has happened. I always check what the prediction of the wind speed will be and direction. Going into or with is no problem. I have delayed driving for a day and have left two days early to avoid strong side winds. Safety first.

By the way, measure the height of your truck and the clearance of your garage door opening. My truck is three inches too tall.

Sure.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll measure tonight when I get home and have help

BigGuy82

My F350 fits fine for height & width - with a long bed, length kills me. I think Ford dually's ride a couple inches lower than Ram or GM - that's based on visual, not actual measurements.

However, you are a ~3,000lbs less than my setup and ~4,500 less than some Landmarks, which is a 25%-42% increase in weight.

In windy conditions weight is your friend. What tips over easier, a full can of soda or an empty one? Same surface area.

For conventional towing if your trailer is going over the number of wheels your truck has matters little. With a fifth wheel the wider footprint would help.

Also I've heard the physics of tip overs broken down in safety meetings (you hear this stuff when you work for Big Brown). The speed of the vehicle matters zero when talking about a cross wind turn over. Doesn't matter if you're stopped of doing 65mph. All that matters is wind speed, the angle it hits you, the surface area of your vehicle and the vehicle's weight.

Back to the original post. Buy a dually if you legitimately think you'll upgrade to a heavy 5th wheel in the near future. If you plan to conventional tow for the life of the pickup then there is no need.

BigGuy82

In windy conditions weight is your friend. What tips over easier, a full can of soda or an empty one? Same surface area.

For conventional towing if your trailer is going over the number of wheels your truck has matters little. With a fifth wheel the wider footprint would help.

Also I've heard the physics of tip overs broken down in safety meetings (you hear this stuff when you work for Big Brown). The speed of the vehicle matters zero when talking about a cross wind turn over. Doesn't matter if you're stopped of doing 65mph. All that matters is wind speed, the angle it hits you, the surface area of your vehicle and the vehicle's weight.

Back to the original post. Buy a dually if you legitimately think you'll upgrade to a heavy 5th wheel in the near future. If you plan to conventional tow for the life of the pickup then there is no need.

The point of the video with the model wasn't weight. It was the placement of that weight. Regarding tip over, actually a dually is less prone to tipping under any circumstance - simple leverage. A wider footprint or stance is always more stable. I'm guessing that speed actually does matter unless you are being hit at a perfect right angle, but I don't know that for sure. I drive at the speed at which I feel comfortable based on over 50 years of experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

Which can push the rear end of your TV around sharp corners...and empty can of soda or a full can of soda?

Which produces more kinetic energy coming down a mountain....empty can of soda or a full can of soda?

Which can push the rear end of your TV around sharp corners...and empty can of soda or a full can of soda?

Which produces more kinetic energy coming down a mountain....empty can of soda or a full can of soda?

The video the comment was made about was a travel trailer tipping over in a high wind situation. Go ahead and add all the variables you want to squew the conversation your way. Why stop at mountains or corners? Let's add Lahars and Aliens we're running from to spice it up a bit.

This whole conversation is EXACTLY what's wrong with Forums. Not enough fact. Too much opinion. Apparently since you bought a dually it's the best and it's all anyone should have. Anyone who dares out into the road without one is basically putting a gun to his head and those around him.

Oregon_Camper

The video the comment was made about was a travel trailer tipping over in a high wind situation. Go ahead and add all the variables you want to squew the conversation your way. Why stop at mountains or corners? Let's add Lahars and Aliens we're running from to spice it up a bit.

LOL.... If you read all the comments, it started with semi trucks passing that cause sway....not the wind whipping down I-80. But you knew that...right?

Apparently since you bought a dually it's the best and it's all anyone should have. Anyone who dares out into the road without one is basically putting a gun to his head and those around him.

That is the exact opposite of what I said if you actually take the time to read all the posts...including mine. I said I'm not sure if it was the move from my prior SRW to DRW or just move from 2008 to 2016 F-350 that solved our issues.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When it is real windy I've been known to put some water in the tanks for some extra ballast . . . when parked or on the road!

If I feel the wind is too strong to drive in I'll find a spot and face the rig into the wind and park it until it is safe to hit the road again.

Bones

Guy's a force is a force which is a force upon a force which always Force. Force just bully's everything around. Ha. 😎

BigGuy82

This whole conversation is EXACTLY what's wrong with Forums. Not enough fact. Too much opinion. Apparently since you bought a dually it's the best and it's all anyone should have. Anyone who dares out into the road without one is basically putting a gun to his head and those around him.

What's a Lahar?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Tonight on my way home from work as I was driving north on I-25 in Thornton I came up behind a huge Raptor 5th-wheel toy hauler in the center lane.

We have some pretty strong chinook winds blowing straight west to east tonight and as I tried to pass this guy the wind kept blowing him halfway in to my lane, so I hung back.

Instead of him slowing down and perhaps getting out of the center lane he just kept hauling balls and swerving in and out of his and my lane.

And passing other vehicles.

I couldn't see what truck he was pulling with, but it did look too small for the trailer he was towing, and it definately was an SRW.

Looked like it was a 2500/250 truck.

I was getting off at the next exit so I never did get a chance to see the full truck.

But I was thinking about this topic thread as I was watching this guy swerve all over the place.

BigGuy82

Tonight on my way home from work as I was driving north on I-25 in Thornton I came up behind a huge Raptor 5th-wheel toy hauler in the center lane.

We have some pretty strong chinook winds blowing straight west to east tonight and as I tried to pass this guy the wind kept blowing him halfway in to my lane, so I hung back.

Instead of him slowing down and perhaps getting out of the center lane he just kept hauling balls and swerving in and out of his and my lane.

And passing other vehicles.

I couldn't see what truck he was pulling with, but it did look too small for the trailer he was towing, and it definately was an SRW.

Looked like it was a 2500/250 truck.

I was getting off at the next exit so I never did get a chance to see the full truck.

But I was thinking about this topic thread as I was watching this guy swerve all over the place.

He'd be a fool no matter how many wheels he had.