Dually v.s. Single rear wheel for towing stability.

Jim.Allison

"The day of the dually is rapidly disappearing"? LOL. You should tell that to all of the dually drivers I see in campgrounds.

With all of the advances you are mentioning, how are they doing with high pin and tow weights? Who needs it? Those of us who want a margin of safety and who would also prefer not to buy a new tow vehicle when we move up. And stability? No comparison - an SRW is not even close. If I see you pulled over due to wind, I'll get in the left hand lane for safety. I'm curious - have you owned a dually? (Yes I have owned both). Of course I have four wheel drive on my dually. Why would you own any truck without it?

I'll spread the weight out over four rear tires and enjoy the stability regardless of the load and if I lose one to a blowout, I'll have a better chance of maintaining control than an SRW rig. If buying two more tires and getting 1/2 mile more per gallon is the price, I'll pay it.

I do agree with buying no more than you need ... PLUS a safety margin of course. My biggest complaint with my dually is that I can't get it through a car wash. An SRW is certainly more "town friendly"

But hey ... enjoy whatever floats your boat.

I guess you told me.......LOL, but like you said whatever floats your boat. I sense your hostility, but I would not expect anything less from a member of the Dually Tribe. Interesting that my original post was crafted not to offend those that drive duallys and was directed at potential buyers of TV. It was meant to offset what I think is a mostly bogus dually owner claims. And as nice as I was in presenting it, I rattled your cage. Why? You own a dually, you have determined that it suits you, and your anticipated needs, why do you take my truths so personally? You certainly do not mind if I express my opinion to those that are considering purchasing a TV?

The SRW pin weights are there to handle most of the rigs I see on the road (perhaps you should study some modern trucks), and speaking of those duallys in the RV parks, they are so old that the spread between their payloads and mine is not that great, and most have not done their math either, I see 1500's, 2500's towing too, but does that make those appropriate vehicles? I see camper trailers being towed with duallys. I see duallys in my town with camper shells on them. There are those that need a dually to tow, and there are those that need a dually to stroke their egos, and they work tirelessly inflicting people with confusion and "family safety" and "public safety" guilt so that they can have partners in the "pseudo trucker" hobby practiced by so many. If one needs a dually it will be painfully obvious if they do the math. But they should not be making their decision based on mythological stability issues based on "extreme polar express" frontal systems, polar vortex winds, and jet streams flying too close to the ground, other rare weather occurrences where they would need a nearly non existent wider stance, and totally fictitious braking claims. 5th wheel towing does not automatically mean a dually requirement.-just sayin

BigGuy82

I guess you told me.......LOL, but like you said whatever floats your boat. I sense your hostility, but I would not expect anything less from a member of the Dually Tribe. Interesting that my original post was crafted not to offend those that drive duallys and was directed at potential buyers of TV. It was meant to offset what I think is a mostly bogus dually owner claims. And as nice as I was in presenting it, I rattled your cage. Why? You own a dually, you have determined that it suits you, and your anticipated needs, why do you take my truths so personally? You certainly do not mind if I express my opinion to those that are considering purchasing a TV?

The SRW pin weights are there to handle most of the rigs I see on the road (perhaps you should study some modern trucks), and speaking of those duallys in the RV parks, they are so old that the spread between their payloads and mine is not that great, and most have not done their math either, I see 1500's, 2500's towing too, but does that make those appropriate vehicles? I see camper trailers being towed with duallys. I see duallys in my town with camper shells on them. There are those that need a dually to tow, and there are those that need a dually to stroke their egos, and they work tirelessly inflicting people with confusion and "family safety" and "public safety" guilt so that they can have partners in the "pseudo trucker" hobby practiced by so many. If one needs a dually it will be painfully obvious if they do the math. But they should not be making their decision based on mythological stability issues based on "extreme polar express" frontal systems, polar vortex winds, and jet streams flying too close to the ground, other rare weather occurrences where they would need a nearly non existent wider stance, and totally fictitious braking claims. 5th wheel towing does not automatically mean a dually requirement.-just sayin

Sorry you sensed hostility where none existed. I just think you were wrong (in fact, painfully wrong) - now I could just be quiet and shake my head OR I could respond. I also think that your message above is not at all accurate but I've spoken my piece on the subject already. Since this is a forum, I responded to your original post - people who disagree aren't necessarily hostile - they just think you are wrong.

I don't get hostile in discussions - life is too short. I will argue my point - just because I don't get upset doesn't mean I need to be a clam.

PS: "psuedo trucker"? Sounds like you are a tad jealous there. You can be part of the group too - just buy a dually.

Lynn1130

5th wheel towing does not automatically mean a dually requirement.

Unless of course you are the "tow police" and then if you do not have 6 wheels you should not be on the road with a trailer and if you are you are wrong and a danger to everyone else on the road.

szewczyk_john

I am not sure what side I should be on? I used to be a SRW driver who defended my option to drive a truck that was being pushed to its payload capacity and beyond. The whole time I did that I knew that I should have more truck to tow my unit safely. Now I own a dually and I am being lambasted by the SRW guys for buying the dually? I have said it before, I know that I bought more truck than needed for my current unit. But I will gladly accept any and all ridicule that you throw my way because I feel safe. For my family and myself and the others on the road, I have piece of mind knowing that I can haul my unit to anywhere at any given time and not worry about the harm I was doing to my old truck. My piece of mind was worth the extra $1200.00 that that dual wheels cost as an option to have that peaceful calm that I did not have before with the old truck.

The difference between me and everyone else is that I do not care about the decisions that you have made but rather the ones that I made. I felt as thou I needed to buy a dually to have the piece of mind that I currently have. Your opinion of my decision will never change the piece of mind that I now enjoy. Nor will I ever question the decisions that you have made. I am very happy to have been adopted into the dually tribe and I will see you along the paths that we travel knowing that I am happy with my decisions. For 5 years I drove around with empty tanks and kept items at home to reduce the weight that I was pulling because I knew that I was pushing the limits of the old truck. Now, I can travel with all tanks loaded and all kinds of extra gear and not worry about it at all. I no longer have to worry about making road side repairs to a 12 year old truck that was being pushed as I own a brand new truck that I could never even get close to the limits of. Even if you think I wasted that $1200.00 in optional dually wheels does not matter to me as I fell it was money well spent. Thank you for your 2 cents. Now I only spent $1199.98 but I still have that piece of mind which is priceless to me and my family. Enjoy your travels but know full well that I will be enjoying mine for years to come.

BigGuy82

I am not sure what side I should be on? I used to be a SRW driver who defended my option to drive a truck that was being pushed to its payload capacity and beyond. The whole time I did that I knew that I should have more truck to tow my unit safely. Now I own a dually and I am being lambasted by the SRW guys for buying the dually? I have said it before, I know that I bought more truck than needed for my current unit. But I will gladly accept any and all ridicule that you throw my way because I feel safe. For my family and myself and the others on the road, I have piece of mind knowing that I can haul my unit to anywhere at any given time and not worry about the harm I was doing to my old truck. My piece of mind was worth the extra $1200.00 that that dual wheels cost as an option to have that peaceful calm that I did not have before with the old truck.

The difference between me and everyone else is that I do not care about the decisions that you have made but rather the ones that I made. I felt as thou I needed to buy a dually to have the piece of mind that I currently have. Your opinion of my decision will never change the piece of mind that I now enjoy. Nor will I ever question the decisions that you have made. I am very happy to have been adopted into the dually tribe and I will see you along the paths that we travel knowing that I am happy with my decisions. For 5 years I drove around with empty tanks and kept items at home to reduce the weight that I was pulling because I knew that I was pushing the limits of the old truck. Now, I can travel with all tanks loaded and all kinds of extra gear and not worry about it at all. I no longer have to worry about making road side repairs to a 12 year old truck that was being pushed as I own a brand new truck that I could never even get close to the limits of. Even if you think I wasted that $1200.00 in optional dually wheels does not matter to me as I fell it was money well spent. Thank you for your 2 cents. Now I only spent $1199.98 but I still have that piece of mind which is priceless to me and my family. Enjoy your travels but know full well that I will be enjoying mine for years to come.

AND, as a bonus, you are now a member of the "psuedo trucker" club (as mentioned below - we all know that's really why you bought a dually). We are very happy to have you! Very shortly, you will be receiving instructions on using our super secret handshake, a schedule of monthly rallys and some cool "psuedo trucker" decals.:cool:

By the way, there's no such thing as having "too much truck" but there is such a thing as having "not enough truck". If truck A has more control than truck B, how can that be a bad thing? Go figure. I will always have more horsepower, more torque and more control than I ever need - it's called a safety margin.

Seriuosly - congrats on the decision to go dually. Great choice and safe travels.

Bohemian

Some few SRW people seem to have a considerable amount of aniexity about their choice,

There is a simple rational objective answer to how much truck one needs, the specs. You need to not exceed any of the specifications. Not a one.

Duallies do an another margin of stability and greater specs.

danemayer

Let's knock off the insults like "dually tribe", "psueudo-trucker", and "tow police". Some may be more subtle than others, but we really don't need to insult people with differing opinions.

LBR

You made a great choice coming over to the dually side...drivers who complain are usually restrained by their mates 'It's too big for me to drive honey' clause. These SRW owners that should be in a DRW truck are an endangerment to the public.

Lynn1130

Dan, I would agree that differing opinions are good, and in most cases helpful. What I disagree with is "differing opinions" and "preaching". Stating an opinion is one thing but what oft times happens is that the person giving their opinion continues to give their opinion ad nauseam. It is pretty easy to go through some of these threads and pick those out. Give an opinion and then shut up about it.

BigGuy82

Dan, I would agree that differing opinions are good, and in most cases helpful. What I disagree with is "differing opinions" and "preaching". Stating an opinion is one thing but what oft times happens is that the person giving their opinion continues to give their opinion ad nauseam. It is pretty easy to go through some of these threads and pick those out. Give an opinion and then shut up about it.

You are in fact minimizing some folks thoughts. It's a FORUM, which means it's a venue for discussion. I agree with the "no name calling", but an intelligent person can mitigate those lame comments with a bit of humor - are we all so thin skinned that we can't take a little ribbing? Someone referred to me and others who like duallies "psuedo truckers" - that's not bad - it's funny and I chose to handle it as such. Is that preaching? Maybe, but whgo will be deciding that? However, if someone wants to defend their position ad nauseum, so what? I often don't agree with the repeaters, but I wouldn't presume to tell them to shut up. I will also defend my view by answering differing opinions. Give an opinion then shut up about it? Sorry pal - that is just rude, and I don't care if you've got 10 posts, 1000 posts or 10,000 posts - telling us to shut up doesn't cut it with me. If you don't want to read these opinions, just unsubscribe from that thread - easy to do.

Dan, go right ahead and chop this one if you want, but this guy is off base.

mlpeloquin

I do not care what anyone else drives or settles on so long as it is rated for what they are towing. I worked most of my working life for a military contractor. I have seen failures. Both electrical and mechanical. Getting to root cause is a requirement for all failures. It can be a pain in the backside. More truck above the needed capacity is better than just meeting the requirements. Derating is standard practice on all aspects of design. It doesn't matter if it is electronic components, fasteners, or metal structures. All requirements were based on failure analysis. Now a consumer/commercial truck isn't derated for the the general public's use. A half ton truck can carry a half ton, but if done 24/7 it will wear out quickly. It is far better to have more truck than you need than just enough. That is derating the trucks specifications just like derating electrical wire, capacitors, resistors, inductors, all active components, metal structors, fasteners, and anything else that is used in design. If done properly, everything works for far longer than the design requirements. And that is only one reason I chose a dully. I might want a heaver fifth wheel in a few years.

Abear79

Wow, Thought the tread was srw vs drw for stability? Im a srw guy, but I know drw has more stability and load capacity. I am from the south, dont have ice, snow, high winds, and ect. I have over 5000 mile pulling my 41 ft 5er. Now I pull 65 mph max on good weather days and never experienced sway. Even having a blowout at 65 mph. Im a gear head so Ill never mock someone for overkill. My in-law even gets better fuel mileage with his drw towing.

BigGuy82

Wow, Thought the tread was srw vs drw for stability? Im a srw guy, but I know drw has more stability and load capacity. I am from the south, dont have ice, snow, high winds, and ect. I have over 5000 mile pulling my 41 ft 5er. Now I pull 65 mph max on good weather days and never experienced sway. Even having a blowout at 65 mph. Im a gear head so Ill never mock someone for overkill. My in-law even gets better fuel mileage with his drw towing.
And that is exactly the point. By the way - I finally decided on that second spare, based in large part on wht you said.

Johng1970

Re: 9Re: Dually v.s. Single rear wheel for towing stability.

If you think you'll move to a 5th wheel down the road, then do yourself a favor and avoid having to buy another truck, once you buy the 5th wheel.

I had a 2008 Ford F-350 (SRW) that I thought could handle the Bighorn. All the specs were in line, so I went with it for about 9 months. On freeway it was fine, until large semi trucks would pass and the trailer forces a "bit" of sway to the truck....nothing dangerous, but I could feel it.

We moved to a DRW (flew to Texas from Oregon to get it...GREAT deal!!) and all the pushing and sway has been removed. Honestly, this was the best decision for my safely and the people around me on the road I think I've made.

This is great to hear, as I've just purchased a Chevy C3500 One-Ton Heavy Duty, Dually. I presently am trading in my Chevy C2500 (basically a heavy half), which we've up'ed the tires to high load capicty and overload springs. It hauled our Bighorn 3610re (40') from Nebraska to Arizona, with stops for repairs along the way... I had to have a Turbo 400 Transmission put in it in Missouri, and had a oil hose replaced in New Mexico. And one stop in New Mexico, near the mountains, where the transmission apparently over-heated. Stopping on the side of the road and letting it cool down allowed it to accellerate again to 65 mph. (The fastest I was able to get the trailer up to, beyond that, I had terrible swaying. Now, the only question is will the 450hp have enough get up and go to haul that 40' trailer better than the 350hp in the C2500. On the C2500, with the 350hp, I start off doing 10mph, then build up speed slowly unless going up an incline, in which case, I decrease speed drastically! Beyond that, the C3500 has tow mirrors on it, and mounting connectors for a dual CB antenna setup, on the mirrors. I can't wait to go back to Mississippi to get my CB, and install it in my new truck. (Right now, its installed in an Isuzu I-290)

Sniper

Actually Heartlanders are pretty civil about this issue. I'm on another very well know RV Forum site and over there if you are pulling a 5th wheel over 28 ft. and don't have a HDT you are a complete idiot and an accident just waiting to happen. Anything you can be discussing over there will eventually lead to you not hauling with an HDT as the culprit of your problem. Hot water heater not working? Well if you were hauling with an HDT you wouldn't have those issues. At least here on our forum we're debating pick-up trucks for the most part. :rolleyes:

Safe travels everyone. :)

well, i bought me a F-350 diesel long bed DRW 2016 platinum before i purchased a fifth wheel.
Reason is simple..after the truck purchase, i am not limited on any 5th wheel weight.

I do need to note that when i purchased the truck, the idea is to use it mainly, if not only to pull a 5th...But i like the truck so much that i drive it a lot more without a 5th hooked up.

BTW i ended up buying a 2017 Cyclone 3513.

The truck is a bit overkill, but let me tell you, its like not pulling a 5th at all.

ram_1955

I towed a TT for 3 years before I upgraded the the 5th wheel.
i had a ProPride hitch for about 18 months. What a world of difference than even the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch. I would never tow a TT again with out a ProPride, even if I had a dually.