Electric Stabilizing Jacks Dont work Front and back

Eddiemi

I just purchased a 2016 Pioneer Travel trailer. At the walk thru the gentleman showed how and where to access the stabilizer pads and they worked fine. I got the unit home, 76 mile away, and now they do not work. I called the dealer there tech said the reset was near the battery. Now I am not a stupid man, but I cannot locate it. He even sent a Pic of what to look for. Can someone advise where this phantom switch is located at.

danemayer

Hi eddiemi,

Congratulations on your new Pioneer and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the jacks. While I'm not familiar with the Pioneer, on many trailers, there are 12V DC mini-circuit breakers that provide power to the high current devices, like electric landing gear or stabilizers. There are usually several of these breakers tied together on a small buss bar near the battery. They may be covered by a red rubber boot to protect them from the weather. I've attached a picture from a larger trailer.

Usually all but one of the breakers will automatically reset, so this may not be what your tech is talking about. The one shown in the picture with a manual reset sits in-between the battery and the Power Converter. If it trips, the battery will not get charged, and interior lights won't work when unplugged from shore power. I wouldn't expect this to keep your jacks/stabilizers from operating unless the battery ran down.

Perhaps another Pioneer owner can chime in with more specific help.

Attachments

• circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 28

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If you have the little circuit breakers in the battery conpartment there is a little button on the side of it to push in and reset the breaker. Not sure yours has it but it might be somthing to look for.

Eddiemi

I located the buss bar it is not covered. it is sealed with a spray on insulation. Not sure if there is any reset buttons on them hard to see with out cutting the insulation away. I dont want to cut int the wiring.Seems stupid to drive 160 miles round trip to have a breaker reset.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Make sure that you do not hold the switch tooo long after the jacks hit the ground. It will trip the circuit breaker every time.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can get a 12V test light and check to see if you have power on both posts of the circuit breakers. put the ground clip on the negative side of the battery then start there touch it to the positive post to see the light working then move your way up the line, check power on both sides of the breaker then to the switch there my be a inline fuse in there also.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya that is the bank of circuit breakers and the reset button is on the left side in all of that foam.. I would just try the test light and check them all.
Get a good one and it will last, but a cheap one will get the job done too.
th.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Feel around the end of those two lower buss breakers. You might feel a small tab on the end. That's what they're talking about. If it's one of those that have the foam at the ends, you should be able to pry it away without too much trouble. Use a plastic paint scraper if you need to cut it a little, that way you won't cut the wire insulation.

Some trailers (TT's and 5'er's) have been known to have glass in-line fuses somewhere in the circuit, others do not. Where they hide said fuse is a crap shoot. My rig did not have them. Try looking near the switch for the jacks.

Eddiemi

Thanks I will test them and look for the switch. I have several testers.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks I will feel around for it.

Domi

Hi eddiemi,

Congratulations on your new Pioneer and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the jacks. While I'm not familiar with the Pioneer, on many trailers, there are 12V DC mini-circuit breakers that provide power to the high current devices, like electric landing gear or stabilizers. There are usually several of these breakers tied together on a small buss bar near the battery. They may be covered by a red rubber boot to protect them from the weather. I've attached a picture from a larger trailer.

Usually all but one of the breakers will automatically reset, so this may not be what your tech is talking about. The one shown in the picture with a manual reset sits in-between the battery and the Power Converter. If it trips, the battery will not get charged, and interior lights won't work when unplugged from shore power. I wouldn't expect this to keep your jacks/stabilizers from operating unless the battery ran down.

Perhaps another Pioneer owner can chime in with more specific help.

Hey Dan,

I had that exact problem (no power to anything when on battery) when I just got my North Trail. Unfortunately I did not know it was a breaker until I saw your post. Trying to move the battery from what I though was a busted "buss block" I tore out the bottom lug (rusted screw) of one of them down by the breaker. So now I do not have the breaker between the converter and the battery (battery now on the top lug with the buss bar). Do you have any idea where I can get another one of these? It looks like only one or 2 of them on mine have the reset switches.

In the mean time can I hook the batters onto one of the other posts that have a wire on them or do I run the risk of overloading the circuit?

Here is a not so great picture, you can see on the far left that one is missing a lug. I have the battery tied to the top lug there right now.
20150926_140551.jpg

I never thought they were breakers.

Thanks for the help and the great information.

Domi

danemayer

Hey Dan,

I had that exact problem (no power to anything when on battery) when I just got my North Trail. Unfortunately I did not know it was a breaker until I saw your post. Trying to move the battery from what I though was a busted "buss block" I tore out the bottom lug (rusted screw) of one of them down by the breaker. So now I do not have the breaker between the converter and the battery (battery now on the top lug with the buss bar). Do you have any idea where I can get another one of these? It looks like only one or 2 of them on mine have the reset switches.

In the mean time can I hook the batters onto one of the other posts that have a wire on them or do I run the risk of overloading the circuit?

Here is a not so great picture, you can see on the far left that one is missing a lug. I have the battery tied to the top lug there right now.
View attachment 41668

I never thought they were breakers.

Thanks for the help and the great information.

Domi

Hi Domi,

You should be able to get a breaker from any RV dealer parts dep't, and from many auto parts and marine parts stores. They're also available on amazon.com.

You want a 12V (or 12-24V) DC breaker with the same form factor so it mounts on the bus bar. They come in different amperage ratings. On larger 5th wheels, it would be a 50 amp with manual reset button. I'm afraid I don't know the amperage of breaker used on a North Trail. The old breaker probably has a marking.

I'm not sure you'd be ok doubling up connections. You'd be creating a direct path between the power converter and the other device powered through that breaker. If I were to guess, I'd say you might set up a situation where you could blow a fuse on the power converter.

What you might do temporarily, if you're not going anywhere, is disconnect one of the other devices from its breaker (a 30 or 50 amp breaker), and use that connection for the power converter. That'll keep your battery charged.