EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: CO, Central City - 9/24/2015 to 9/27/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarryNight

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
John,
Thanks for effort...if it doesn't work out that you can check out US 6 tunnels give me a call or email me...Don and I may drive over once we drop off the rig on Tuesday and see. I have found out some additional info...vertical measurements are taken from the white line on the right side of lanes (for what it's worth).

Weather for this week thru the weekend looks nice for the Idaho Springs/Central City/Nederland areas....nightime lows in the mid to upper 40's with daytime highs in the mid to upper 60's and low 70's :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Garry & Rick,
Safe journey, see you Thursday:)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Well, I tried to drive up there this evening, but when I made the turn into Clear Creek Canyon in Golden, the police had the canyon blocked and a big digital traffic sign said that the canyon was closed for 'rescue operations'.

Had to turn around and head back down.

Not sure what was going on up there . . . guess I'll have to watch the news to see what was going on!

Not sure if I'll have another chance before we come up with the trailer on Thursday.

I also wanted to drive through the campground just to scope it out.

Oh well!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We were coming down from Blackhawk and there was a head on collision up there. Not really sure why anyone would want to go that way. It is a pain in a car.

JohnD

We were coming down from Blackhawk and there was a head on collision up there. Not really sure why anyone would want to go that way. It is a pain in a car.

I used to always pull our old bumper pull through Clear Creek Canyon to skip 'The Truck Killer' (Floyd Hill) . . . up or down!

Never killed my truck, but every time I drive up Floyd Hill there is always at least one truck with camper or motor home sitting on the side in a puddle of antifreeze or tranny fluid . . . or with the drive shaft on the ground on one end!

dlw930

We drove up 6 to Blackhawk and Central City this afternoon without our 5th wheel. Our Garmin RV 760 has tunnel clearances programmed into it. It said each tunnel we approached had 13'0" clearance. It is probably conservative, but I sure wouldn't want to pull my 5th wheel up that road anyway. I'll be taking 70 and Central City Parkway from Golden. By the way, we also drove to the KOA. The sign by the entrance says "KOA Holiday", not "Denver West/Central City KOA". I'm sure it's the only KOA in Central City. Do not pull through Central City!! Streets are narrow and there are steep streets with sharp switchbacks getting up to the KOA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

My GPS seems to take me into town then a sharp right switchback back to the KOA. Does this sound correct?

gwalter

Yes that is what it shows on Google. Take a right on Spring St. Then take a left on Virginia Canyon Rd. and another left on Lake Gulch Rd to the campground.

dlw930

Take Spring St off the Central City Parkway and follow the blue RV signs up to the KOA. Yes, there are two switchbacks immediately after getting on Spring, but this appears to be the only alternative to coming on Hwy 6, which isn't an option if your rig is 13+ ft high.

StarryNight

Yes that is what it shows on Google. Take a right on Spring St. Then take a left on Virginia Canyon Rd. and another left on Lake Gulch Rd to the campground.

This is correct...Don & I drove up from I-70 taking the 243 exit. Central City Parkway is a gradual climb and a nice road (grade can be around 8% in some locations). You will actually pass the KOA (on your right) but there isn't an exit near it. You will need to go down to the "all-way" stop sign and take a somewhat of a sharp right turn...but it isn't a problem if you go wide, away from curb side. You'll then climb the hill you just came down, take a left and you will then see you are sorta along side the Parkway...take another left into the KOA. We used our gps but there are signs guiding you as well.
As for driving thru Central City...without pulling anything it was a pain:(
As with any driving on mountain roads it's usually fun/nice/beautiful for the passenger, not the driver:eek:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW...I-70 has posted Speed Limit signs addressing GVWR as well as Lane Restrictions. So those of us in the heavier/larger tow vehicles & rigs be aware:)

Last edited:

StarryNight

Don and I as well as Bill & DeAnna got in yesterday (Tuesday). Last night we had an excellent dinner at Beau Jo's.
Today, Wednesday, is a gorgeous day, a bit on the breezy side.
There have been a couple changes to the site numbers...since we had two cancellations...Derald & Sue are in site 40 and Rick is in site 17.

dlw930

Donna & I plan to leave Golden about 10 a.m. Thursday, so should be in CC before noon.

jhardin

Are there any sites left? On KOA Central City Website states there full. I was wondering could I use one of your club sites? We will be out most of the time, but would be nice to put some faces to names. We are in Estes Co. and be leaving tomorrow. If you have an available site, it would be much appreciated ! Thanks Jerry

JohnD

Are there any sites left? On KOA Central City Website states there full. I was wondering could I use one of your club sites? We will be out most of the time, but would be nice to put some faces to names. We are in Estes Co. and be leaving tomorrow. If you have an available site, it would be much appreciated ! Thanks Jerry

We just got back to the trailer from the club campfire . . .

Not sure if there are any sites available . . . might try calling the park in the morning!

Phone number is in the first post in this topic thread.

Hope you can get in . . . we'd love to have you here!

We are all having a great time so far . . .

Had a nice meet & greet and a great meal!

Tomorrow . . . a tour of the Coors plant!

JohnD

For those that didn't make it . . . just thought I'd rub it in!

Here is this morning's view from our site:

HOCcentralcityview-P1000818.jpg HOCcentralcityview-P1000819.jpg

danemayer

Well, we left this morning after another great rally. Thanks Monica and Don and your wagon masters for all the planning and preparation you put into a fun-filled weekend. Looking forward to the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.