EVENT: Heartland Chapter Rally: LA, New Iberia - 10/30/2015 to 11/1/2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

'Lil Guy'

Sounds like the Breakfast is covered. Let me go back and double check.lol I'm sure I read biscuits and gravy with sausage in in it. If someone could put some of that cream gravy mix together, I could give them some crumbled sausage to add to it. Just a thought and a real crowd pleaser. On 2nd thought, I'll just make it while I'm cooking the meat if someone could bring some biscuits.
One good thing about these HL rallie is there isn't a shortage of good food. Getting hungry and anxious for this event.
Later and see everyone there.

VKTalley

Andy and Joanna, what is the schedule for foods for this rally besides the breakfast on Friday morning? Trying to do some menu planning and having food on hand before we leave Nashville at the end of this week. :)

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Andy and Joanna, what is the schedule for foods for this rally besides the breakfast on Friday morning? Trying to do some menu planning and having food on hand before we leave Nashville at the end of this week. :)

Val Thursday and Friday meals are on your own. I am looking for some ideas on places to go that aren't chains. Saturday dinner is the potluck and chapter will be cooking chilli and will provide bowls, plates and silverware. So plan on a dish to share (can you eat chilli?). Of course we will need Fritos and cheese too...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VKTalley

Val Thursday and Friday meals are on your own. I am looking for some ideas on places to go that aren't chains. Saturday dinner is the potluck and chapter will be cooking chilli and will provide bowls, plates and silverware. So plan on a dish to share (can you eat chilli?). Of course we will need Fritos and cheese too...lol.

I can bring Fritos and cheese, no problem! I can eat the chili if it is meatless or made with ground turkey. I can make a pot of chili that I can eat and can share too.

Non-chain restaurants for a meal out would be great! I'll check with my friends in Lafayette and see what they would suggest.

Kenneths

I work in New Iberia so I might be able to help with what is around regarding restaurants and things to see. Here are some in no particular order;

Restaurants:
1- Landry's (Not the chain) Good buffet, never ate from the menu buffet always looked too good.
2-Boiling Point, Full seafood menu, huge boiled shrimp and blue point crabs.
3-Bon Creole Lunch counter, Great Po-Boys, seafood baskets and salads. (Note: only get a half Po-Boy unless you are very hungry!)
4-Poor Boys Little River Inn, Good food, more formal than the others but not overly.
There are much more if you want to go back to Lafayette and the surrounding areas, this is Cajun Country!

Things to see:

1-Avery Island,
A- Tabasco factory. Take a tour and visit the gift shops.
B- Jungle Garden's, garden and bird sanctuary.
2-Jefferson Island
A- Rip Van Winkle Gardens
Gardens, gift shop restaurant and views of Lake Penure (Google Lake Penure disaster).
3- Downtown New Iberia
A- Plantation Homes, too many to name, Shadows on the Teche is the most famous I guess.

Just driving around the area is some great sights for a relaxing drive.

Also please note that it is currently sugar cane cutting season so look out for slow moving farm equipment. Also don't be alarmed by huge clouds of smoke. They burn the fields after the cane is cut and it can look like a huge forest fire going on.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I forgot to mention Cajun RVera has a special going on for those of you that can take advantage of it.

Copied from their site; OCTOBER FEST!!!!

-Stay with us from 10-23-15 to 11-1-15 for only$179.00.

VKTalley

Those are some great ideas! I have been to a couple of them on the list. My friends live in Lafayette, so between them and your list, we should have a good idea what's in the in area.

Kenneths

If any of you are in the oilfield there is a huge oilfield trade show (LAGCOE) going on in Lafayette at the Cajun Dome 10/27, 28, 29/2015. Our company will have a couple of booths there.

'Lil Guy'

I probably make the best chili this side of Canada. I'll make some Turkey Chili for you and Debbie. I'll make another of beef for me. I enjoy cooking as long as DW does the cleaning.lol

VKTalley

I probably make the best chili this side of Canada. I'll make some Turkey Chili for you and Debbie. I'll make another of beef for me. I enjoy cooking as long as DW does the cleaning.lol

Thanks, Frank! That sounds great!

jassson007

Frank I will handle chilli for club and if you tell me what you need for turkey chilli I will get the ingredients for you so the chapter can take care of that.

jassson007

I work in New Iberia so I might be able to help with what is around regarding restaurants and things to see. Here are some in no particular order;

Restaurants:
1- Landry's (Not the chain) Good buffet, never ate from the menu buffet always looked too good.
2-Boiling Point, Full seafood menu, huge boiled shrimp and blue point crabs.
3-Bon Creole Lunch counter, Great Po-Boys, seafood baskets and salads. (Note: only get a half Po-Boy unless you are very hungry!)
4-Poor Boys Little River Inn, Good food, more formal than the others but not overly.
There are much more if you want to go back to Lafayette and the surrounding areas, this is Cajun Country!

Things to see:

1-Avery Island,
A- Tabasco factory. Take a tour and visit the gift shops.
B- Jungle Garden's, garden and bird sanctuary.
2-Jefferson Island
A- Rip Van Winkle Gardens
Gardens, gift shop restaurant and views of Lake Penure (Google Lake Penure disaster).
3- Downtown New Iberia
A- Plantation Homes, too many to name, Shadows on the Teche is the most famous I guess.

Just driving around the area is some great sights for a relaxing drive.

Also please note that it is currently sugar cane cutting season so look out for slow moving farm equipment. Also don't be alarmed by huge clouds of smoke. They burn the fields after the cane is cut and it can look like a huge forest fire going on.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I forgot to mention Cajun RVera has a special going on for those of you that can take advantage of it.

Copied from their site; OCTOBER FEST!!!!

-Stay with us from 10-23-15 to 11-1-15 for only$179.00.

Thanks for the info Kenneth. I was planning on taking a group over to Avery Island on Friday. I also agree with the Lake Penure disaster, very interesting read and to go see the area.

Also those were the same restaurants I was looking at. Which would you recommend if you were bring people from outside of Louisiana?

Also, with the current statewide burn ban are they burning fields yet?

Being in the oil field business do you know anyone over at the old Smith Intl? Friend just retired from Smith Bits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Not many people will want the Turkey chili. 2 lbs of ground turkey meat is all I need. I've got the rest of the ingredients. I'll make girls chili and won't make it to spicy.lol Good chili has a bite and an after bite. The 1st with cayenne and the second with Texas Buckshot. AKA ground dried jalapena powder.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
I will make some biscuits. I can make the gravy too.

Thanks,

Nancy Anderson
North Texas Chapter Leader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Kenneths

Thanks for the info Kenneth. I was planning on taking a group over to Avery Island on Friday. I also agree with the Lake Penure disaster, very interesting read and to go see the area.

Also those were the same restaurants I was looking at. Which would you recommend if you were bring people from outside of Louisiana? Boiling Point

Also, with the current statewide burn ban are they burning fields yet? Yes, farmers are exempt from the ban.

Being in the oil field business do you know anyone over at the old Smith Intl? Friend just retired from Smith Bits. I do not think so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See answers to your questions above, let me know if i can be of any assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.