Finally - swapping out my 12 volt for the 6 volt pairs

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Hi all,

Well I bought the batteries and box last year and never got them installed ( too much camping to do ). So this year I got them installed. Duane, the Quad Box from Canada fits under the Hydraulic Pump with about 1/2 inch to spare - and it also can be pushed over to the right (up against the Gen) so it actually does not sit under the pump at all. The Box ( photos to follow ) is not Sealed ( this is an issue ) and does not have a vent ( another issue ). I will be addressing the sealing issue with some kind of foam weather stripping that will rap around the top lip of the box and closed cell spray foam for the cable openings with cables and the two cut outs without cables will be sealed with a plastic and epoxy ( at least that is the current plan ) The Vent issue is where I seem to be running into a road block - I can not seem to find a source for a vent flange to mount on the top of my Battery Box. Does Anyone have a link for a suitable solution. I would love to get one for the top and a smaller one for the bottom to act as a drain.

The cover will be held tight with a strap that will be secured to the floor of the compartment with I-bolts. The Box will be secured to the Floor with bolts

I hope to have this modification done in the next few days.

Any leads on where I can get a suitable vent flange is greatly appreciated.

Kevin

jbeletti

Looking forward to seeing your pics. Got a call from a potential future Landmark buyer that was interested in putting 4 6volt batteries in it. Maybe you can supply me the outside dimension of your battery box. I can compare to the floor space in current production Landmarks.

Are you reinforcing the floor at all? It may not need it - just curious.

recumbent615

Jim,

Photos later today

the Floor is metal so I did not reinforce - but you did just be me thinking ... do I need to?

the Dimensions of the Box are:

The following dimensions are taken from the OUTSIDE of the battery box
The polyurethane is 3/16" thick.
Dimensions With Lid On:
LENGTH: 22 3/8"
WIDTH: 15 1/2"
HEIGHT: 12 7/8"

Dimensions of Base Only:
LENGTH: 21 9/16"
WIDTH: 14 7/8"
HEIGHT: 12 1/2"

the Vendor's web site is http://www.allbatterysalesandservice.com/browse.cfm/4,5576.html

Keep in mind that this requires sealing the Box and Venting if you use Lead Acid - I will post my photos of my sealed Box as well.

Last edited:

jbeletti

On reinforcing the floor, I don't know if it's needed. I'd look at the thickness of the floor and how it's tied in at the edges.

Not sure about what batteries you're using - the Trojan T105 weighs 62 each x 4 = 248 pounds plus case, vent, cover, cables.

The box takes up 2.23 square feet - so your loading will be about 111 pounds per square foot.

recumbent615

Well I just took a look at the floor of the front storage space where in my Cyclone 3010, where my Generator and Battery ( now there are two 6V with Space for 2 More ) and it appears to be fairly beefy solid 1/4 in thick and bolted to the Frame. I'm not sure what adding to the floor from the inside would do since you can not get to the frame from the top... so the only option would be to add some cross members to the bottom to beef it up some. The Project still has legs, I need to place some blocking in the box to prevent the current 1/2 population from moving, secure the box to the floor and install the Vent ( for now I have the hose on the hole and taped up on the inside . ) I attempted to seal the extra cable openings with expanding foam - that created a real mess. I will need to work out a better solution - Duct tape make be the answer for now. But until the expandable foam cures so I can remove all the snakes that went every where - I will let it sit, Duct tape at the ready ...

porthole

Retired
Kevin

Why are you concerned about "sealing" the lid?

Why install a drain?

How are you wanting to vent?

Before I did my 6 volt conversion I used a boat through-hull flange (plastic) in the top of the battery box up to the vent on the front panel.

My original battery box had a bottom drain, which leaked acid all over my brake lines ......... The main purpose of a battery box is to contain the electrolyte in case of a battery failure or over charge, not dump it on the ground.

Are your batteries a normal wet cell of gel type?

That floor is plenty strong enough, remember, it was built to hold the generator, not lawn chairs.

recumbent615

Duane I purchased the t-105 wet acid batteries. I am venting to the through the hull vent. Using the original vent hose. I guess I was replicating the original design with the drain as it does provide an air source to aid in venting more than as a drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

Recumbent, I did the same thing last year. Not sure which battery box you got, but it sounds like yours is very similar to mine. I ended up cutting out a square with the flange that the vent hose attached to, from the old battery box. I then hole sawed a hole in the new box, and pushed it through from the inside and sealing it with silicon. I secured it with a couple screws. I used foam weather stripping to seal all of the cable penetrations and the lip of the lid. It's not perfect but I believe it is actually sealed better that the original battery box. I strapped the whole box down to two eye bolts with a tie down strap.

recumbent615

Scott I ordered a flange on eBay it will arrive in a few days.
I will also do the tie down to secure I think the duct tape will seal the extra holes an do a fair enough job of sealing the cable holes as well. I used rubber weather strips to seal the top around.

porthole

Retired
Kevin, I'll take a pic of my original vent tomorrow when we get home.

II don't see why you are trying to "seal" the box. I have never seen a battery box that was sealed. Caps, lids yes, but they were typically "shoebox" type lids that just covered, not sealed.
Using wet acid batts you will have to have the vent, but that is simple enough with a marine through hull fitting. And you can get it in the size of the hose you already have.

recumbent615

The reading I have done have lead me to believe that the box should be "reasonably sealed" to prevent any hydrogen gas from exiting the box other than the designated vent to outside the RV. It is possible that I'm being overly concerned or conservative but better safe than sorry.

Sumo

The box takes up 2.23 square feet - so your loading will be about 111 pounds per square foot.

Never thought about the weight of my batteries and just assumed that the front compartment would carry the weight. Guess what I'll be looking at tomorrow.

recumbent615

I think as Duane pointed out, at least for the cyclone line where the front storage is built to support a generator so a few batteries should not be an issue

porthole

Retired
Kevin, it doesn't get more complicated then when the US Coast Guard gets involved, and along with the ABYC, the two of them have some stringent requirements for batteries and all sub systems for boats. None require a hermetically sealed battery box.
Just a way to contain both the batteries and electrolyte in case of battery failure and a way to vent. Marine boxes for the most part are shoebox type lids with louver type vents. And venting can be just a loose fitting lid, some way that prevents the build up gases.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can you post the link to the flange you are buying?

porthole

Retired
Kevin, this post has a picture of the through hull I was referring to. You can also see a pic here of battery acid damage at the vent underneath. This eventually caused me to have to change out that exposed section of brake line. No more bottom vents for me.

This battery box was a replacement for the factory box. As you may recall, it has since been replaced wit the 6-volt box.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=137649&viewfull=1#post137649

BTW, can you post a link to the 4 battery box you got?

recumbent615

Duane,

Scotty got it, Century Plastics is the box I got. The Top is now tight but still not what would qualify as "air tight" but for what I was looking for it is as good as the shoebox versions. I went with the Quad box with the expectation that I Will add another 6v pair later this summer - Allowing for longer dry camping without the Generator running.

dewwood

I have the box for 2 batteries and the lid is held on with some screws. Just drill through the lid and the box and run a couple of screws through and it will keep the lid from coming off. It is not a seal but it does keep the lid in place.