Ford F-250/350 or Ram 2500/3500

Hey Everyone,

Received permission to upgrade TV. Leaning toward Diesel now I have to decide which one. Oh and if I upgrade I will be upgrading the TT to a 5th Wheel

Any Suggestion?

Chris

galee78

We made the same move a few years ago. Love the truck and the fifth wheel
i am partial to the Ford but we see many different set ups working for others.
Good luck on your decision.

We made the same move a few years ago. Love the truck and the fifth wheel
i am partial to the Ford but we see many different set ups working for others.
Good luck on your decision.

I am too. But the ford's are more expensive. Can you offer any reason for your preference? Not trying to start the truck wars, just looking for idea to push me one way of the other since this is my first diesel. :)

MikeR

All of the Big 3 make good trucks today. If you haven't owned a heavy duty diesel pick up before you should look at all three. You have to determine what you're requirements will be. Also, the features offered should help you qualify vehicles.

Based on my ownership of a Ford F350, Powerstroke, Crew Cab, and I recommended it, doesn't mean it would be the right truck for you. Learn as much as you can about the trucks, drive them and find out which one you like the best. It's an expensive decision, get the one that you like.

All of the Big 3 make good trucks today. If you haven't owned a heavy duty diesel pick up before you should look at all three. You have to determine what you're requirements will be. Also, the features offered should help you qualify vehicles.

Based on my ownership of a Ford F350, Powerstroke, Crew Cab, and I recommended it, doesn't mean it would be the right truck for you. Learn as much as you can about the trucks, drive them and find out which one you like the best. It's an expensive decision, get the one that you like.

Thanks Mike. I have driven the both and I like them equally! Just trying to see if there are things I didn't think about. :)

MCTalley

Another Ford owner, but I'd go with either make. I would suggest going ahead with a 350/3500, just to prevent not having enough load capacity for a fifth wheel down the road.

If you look at the Ram (you Ram folks correct me here if I'm wrong), you'll probably want to spring for the Aisin transmission.

Other than that, good luck on your hunt.

scottyb

Long time Ford diesel owner (1982), one time Chevy diesel owner (previous truck). I liked my Chevy as well as any of the Fords I have owned. Due to the longevity of my 2000 Ford (220K) and the 6 years I owned the 2007 Chevy (186K), I managed to skip the 6.0L and 6.4L diesels. Can't speak for Ram, but I wouldn't be opposed to trying one.

alex00

I'm moving into my second Ram 3500. The only reason we are replacing our '05 was the size of the cab. It was getting too cramped for dogs and kids. I've been very happy with the Ram, and sold it to a very good friend. That being said, the Ford is very nice, and was on my radar for a bit. My second purchase of the Ram boiled down to looks, and my local dealer. I just like the look of the new Ram, and my dealer gives me awesome deals. You can't go wrong with either a Ford or a Ram.

That said, be aware of how you option it out if you are looking to tow a certain weight. There is about a 13,000 lb trailer weight difference between the differently equipped 3500s in the Ram line alone. Engine size, transmission and axle ratio all affect the final trailer towing capacity. A well equipped Ram longbed crew cab will tow a 28K trailer, while a similarly equipped Ford was about 22K. I'm betting for '15 Ford ups their numbers to compete with or top Ram. Either one will tow most, if not all, Heartland products.

HornedToad

There is about a 13,000 lb trailer weight difference between the differently equipped 3500s in the Ram line alone. Engine size, transmission and axle ratio all affect the final trailer towing capacity.

There is a neat tool on the Ram Truck website where you can enter the VIN and it will list the tow ratings for that engine size, transmission and axle ratio.

sengli

I have a 3500HD dually silverado. Has the allison transmission and of course the duramax 6.6L diesel. 2011's and newer have a built in exhaust brake, which I use all the time. So far so good, no issue's yet. Mine is a crew cab, and there is alot of room there with the four doors.

galee78

I am too. But the ford's are more expensive. Can you offer any reason for your preference? Not trying to start the truck wars, just looking for idea to push me one way of the other since this is my first diesel. :)

We just like the Ford. MikeR is correct. Just find one that suites your needs and that looks good with your 5'er. Let us know what our decide.

GeoFish

Hey Everyone,

Received permission to upgrade TV. Leaning toward Diesel now I have to decide which one. Oh and if I upgrade I will be upgrading the TT to a 5th Wheel

Any Suggestion?

Chris

I have been looking at both trucks, except I want a 3500 SRW4 X 4.

Look closely at the towing capacity and the GCWR.
Be sure whatever truck you choose that it meets your needs.

You can get the following features in the Ford, but they areunavailable on the Ram.
Locking rear differential.
Drivers door keyless entry.
Tail gate step.
Power retracting outside mirrors.
Rapid cab heat.

The Ram has some items that the Ford does not.

Better gauge area display screen. Example, you can set thescreen to show the items you want,like digital speed.
The Ram also shows the tire pressure of each wheelindividually.
And there are a few others.

But whatever you decide be sure of the towing rating, GCWRand payload.
Double check you tongue or hitch pin weight of what you currently own and what you may purchase.

Do not believe what the manufacture publishes because thesewill change as you load the trail, especially if you have a toy hauler..
See my experience below.

I decided on the Ram because it will tow 17,000 Lbs. vrs14,000 for the Ford.
The Ram also has a 25,,000 Lb. GCWR and the Ford has a23,500.

OLD POST;
I Just purchased a Work and Play 275ULSBS.
The Work and Play brochure says Ultra ½ Ton Towable.

I have a F150 with a tow capacity of 11,300 LBS. with a maximumhitch weight of 1150 LBS.

I checked the specs and the brochure lists a base weight for the275 of 7843 LBS. and a hitch weight of 1129 LBS.
Since I ordered some options, I knew this would change thesespecs. I have an on board generator mounted in the front of the camper. I alsoorder an on board fuel station located behind the axels. I also ordered thequeen bed in the cargo area. I thought these weights would balance out some andkeep my hitch weight done close to the 1150 I needed.
If not I thought I could add a little weight in the cargo area tobalance the load. The sticker on my 275 lists an unloaded weight real close tothe 7843. I was surprised by that since the generator adds 180 LBS and theother options must add some weight. Any way we adjusted the hitch at thedealers lot and I pulled the TH home.

When I got home I weighed the tongue weight at the electric jackfoot using a Sherline scale, the weight was 1450LBS!
Turns out the 1129 LB. listed hitch weight is maxed out at the11,500 LB. GVWR.

I also have two batteries up front and this will increase thetongue weight.
But I didn’t expect 1450 LBS.
So I pulled my ATV into the TH, added 650 LBS. to the back and mytongue weight dropped to 1300 LBS.
So I added 240 LBS of water in the back cargo area and the weightdropped to 1250 LBS.
So I added an additional 160 LBS to the back and the weightdropped to 1150 LBS.
I know the weight at the jack foot will be a little higher than atthe ball, but this is easier to measure and close enough for my purposes.
Now when I add weight to the front storage area this TW will goback up.
My point to all of this is the Sherline scale at about $140.00 isa must have item for anyone with a TT or TH.
(I do not work for Sherline and I am not in the RV industry, I ama long time RV owner.)
My other point is someone could get into trouble believing themanufactures claimed hitch weight.

I do not want to always have 1050 LBS in the back of my TH and Ilike having more truck than I need, so I will be buying a one ton truck.

GeoFish

3250ts

I beleave the 2014 ram 3500 comes with the Aisin transmission and 372 gears unless ordered with 410 and now rear springs . optional air ride . I have a 2013 Laramie 4x4 crew cab 2500 it has the up graded 6.7 diesel to 375 hp 800# torque wit 323 gears . traded in 2004 gmc extended cab duramax with 373 gears great truck not enough room inside and hated the rear doors but never had problem with it. If I new i would have waited and went to the 2014 3500 ram Chev Ford and Ram are pretty good trucks. look at all and make sure of all the options you want and what might be coming for next year model. I pull a 34 ft Big Country loaded weighted 14000 did not hardly know it was on until headed over the mountain from Salt lake to Price 7800 ft had to push the peddle a little still had lots of power ALL THE NEW TRUCKS ENGINES ARE ABOUT THE SAME RATINGS Go with the one ton a little heavier suspension . Diesel automatic 372 gears and you can not go wrong Best of luck with what ever you decide

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the input! Wife is worried that the 350/3500 is to much for a commuter car. I would much rather have the 350/3500 But at this point the truck purchase may be moot! I'll keep you updated! :(

Chris

Nitehawk79

It depends on what you are driving now compared to what you end up with. I traded out of my F150 Raptor for a Ram 3500 DRW Mega cab with the Aisin and 3.73 gears. I went with the mega cab because I own the 4100 that is supposed to allow me to tow it with a short bed, besides I did not want to drive a football field around town. Your fuel economy will depend on how your drive it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

alex00

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the input! Wife is worried that the 350/3500 is to much for a commuter car. I would much rather have the 350/3500 But at this point the truck purchase may be moot! I'll keep you updated! :(

Chris
I am familiar with your dilemma. When we bought our first dually, my wife was afraid to drive it. Within a few trips around town she was hooked. It quickly became "her" truck. Yes, a 3500 is a lot of truck, but it's not a huge leap above a 2500 and in some cases identical in size. I'd take her to a willing dealer and put your wife behind the wheel of a 2500 and a 3500 dually and let her get a feel for both. I wish you luck. Find your inner salesman and sell her on that truck! :)

DW_Gray

Although I took a quick look at what others wrote, it is possible I may have missed the point that I'll make.

Firstly, if you're going to upgrade to a 5th wheel, I strongly encourage you to pick out your trailer first.

Second, select the tow vehicle for that trailer. You may not need a 350/3500 for years to come. Why pay more for a truck that you really don't need?

Too many times someone will buy a nice tow vehicle and then find and buy a trailer too big for their tow vehicle.

And one other thing, don't listen to sells person that tells you a 250/2500 will tow that trailer easily.

DesertThumper

I agree with everyone mentioning to decide on the trailer first then truck. We traded our 36 ft (12,000 gvwr) Colorado Travel Trailer 5ver for a Road Warrior 400.

At the time of our purchase, my current truck was a 2012 2500 Ram Mega Cab short bed. It could have done the tow job
of a new trailer bought, but after looking at the Road Warrior - 18,000 gvwr, stability, safety etc, we upgraded to a 3500 Ram DRW. We went with Dodge again because my last three Rams never failed us. With our current new Ram, the towing capacity over exceeds the new trailers weight requirements. This truck is my last we will buy. Then to a motorhome.

Both trucks are common big trailer tow rigs, very competitive and great reviews. You have the boss giving you the thumbs up, that's half the battle man! Have fun with your trailer then truck shopping. How exciting...