Ford F-250/350 or Ram 2500/3500

campn8r

I would definitely consider a Duramax with the Alison Transmission

I LOVE mine. Power & torque to spare

Mark

szewczyk_john

I am a dodge guy but the reason for my decision has not been mentioned by anyone else so I'll throw it out there. I work on my own vehicles as much as possible. The Dodge is powered by cummins. those things run forever but if you do have to do any work you are looking at an in-line 6 vs a v-8 in the Ford and Chevy/GM. There are 100s of less moving parts to the cummins than the other brands. The in-line 6 takes up less room so there is more room under the hood to work on those other items under the hood. When I was shopping in 2006, the ford's interior was laid out better and the Chevy has a better tranny but I went with what I thought was the most practicable.

I also recommend a visit to this site : http://www.turbodieselregister.com/magazines/buyersguide.phtml
It is a buyers guide for the cummins powered Dodge Rams and if you do buy, I would highly recommend that you join that site as a member. It is full of useful info. I do not work for or am I involved with that site (other than a paying member of it), it is just an awesome source for info.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the awesome feedback and suggestions. Have you ever been in a situation where she knows best? :) Well I just experienced it! We ended up buying an F-250 with the 6.2 gas engine. Totally not what I was expecting. However the good new is that we have decided on a smaller/lighter 5th wheel. Currently trying to pinpoint it to the Rockwood 8265 or the Wildcat 282. We just couldn't justify the $8K for the Diesel and the $4/Gal for fuel. I love the truck so far.

Maybe when we are closer to retirement...then I will get the Diesel. ;)

Thanks again!

lwmcguir

We have a friend on his second 6.2 F250. They have a 30' TT and get along with it very well. It is also a daily driver and that is why #2 already. Ford's are very solid trucks with great resale value, diesel or not.

pegmikef

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the awesome feedback and suggestions. Have you ever been in a situation where she knows best? :) Well I just experienced it! We ended up buying an F-250 with the 6.2 gas engine. Totally not what I was expecting. However the good new is that we have decided on a smaller/lighter 5th wheel. Currently trying to pinpoint it to the Rockwood 8265 or the Wildcat 282. We just couldn't justify the $8K for the Diesel and the $4/Gal for fuel. I love the truck so far.

Maybe when we are closer to retirement...then I will get the Diesel. ;)

Thanks again!

When you compare the difference in MPG between Diesel and Gassers, you will find that diesel is cheaper because of the improved MPG. . . . usually by 3 to 4 miles.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
After owning GM, Dodge, and now a Ford. I am convinced that Dodge builds the strongest most suited pickup for towing. Along with that a equally reliable pickup to any of them found in the road. The ford chassis is disappointing and the ride lacks compared to my old Dodge.

Though it's a nice pickup and I will not be trading it off for a Dodge as my ford gets the job done.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Well - we have had Dodges since the '70's and now just bought another 2014 Dodge but this one will be different for us. It's a dually. Never having a dually before (always have been a single rear wheel folks even on the one tons), this will be a learning experience. We sold our truck/camper as a combo set with the thinking of ordering another srw but Dodge factory build/delivery dates are 9-10 weeks out. We just couldn't wait that long - soooo welcome dually.

porthole

Retired
It's a dually. Never having a dually before (always have been a single rear wheel folks even on the one tons), this will be a learning experience.

Nathan, not that big of deal.

Back into parking spaces
Try and take two
Back into non through spaces, e.g against a curb

Going to malls and such i usually park where I have something to help protect the truck. The lots that have light stanchions in the middle of 4 spaces are good.
Park far away
And if the lot allows it, I will park the truck in the middle of 4 spaces.

And in New Jersey, tolls jump 50-100% for a DRW

DW_Gray

Nathan, Duane offers good points. Additionally, some areas, like California, have small parking spaces big enough for my Smart car. I usually park in the back forty and take up two spaces.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Some other thoughts from a woman who occasionally gets to drive the DRW around town: drive through lanes can sometimes be a challenge-- at the bank, fast food, etc. Also electric gate access, toll booths, etc. Automated car washes sometimes say "no duallies".

Turning right means pulling out a little wider to clear the curb.

Getting to the hitch handle in the bed can be a challenge depending on how "hippy" your fenders are.

Even with these challenges, I wouldn't tow with less! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Nathan wont have a problem but it's been over 40-45 years ago since I've driven a 8 speed split axle van or tractor/trailer rig. I know it will come back but til them ........
B-----

dave10a

What ever on chooses, they should make it quick because the Fed's are upping the fuel mileage requirement. That means more money out of your pocket for the advance stuff that will be required. The Fed's will claim you will save money in the long run with their new demands, but don't be fooled....:)

When you compare the difference in MPG between Diesel and Gassers, you will find that diesel is cheaper because of the improved MPG. . . . usually by 3 to 4 miles.

So I did my homework. Feels like I know more about diesel engines than I ever cared to know. :D Our Logic, is that the $8300 for the Diesel, $4/per gallon, plus the cost of DEF, and the higher maintenance costs just weren't worth the benefits. When my wife looks at the truck she see's my commuter vehicle that occasionally pulls a trailer. And with that logic I had to agree. :D Plus around here gas is significantly less expensive. But man would I have loved to hear that diesel!!!!

dave10a

The advantage of diesel is higher tow ability. The disadvantage may be cost of ownership. Diesel at $4.00/gal is better than gas at $3.30/gal because diesel engines get better mpg for equivalent vehicle and tow weight. However the DPF and DEF cost make it about even with gas engines. The DPF decreases MPG by 5-10% because it uses diesel fuel to clean and the DEF is a cost that varies depending on the load. Then the diesel engine is more expensive to service because the fuel and oil filters as well as amount of oil required cost significantly more than gas engines. So the only reason to get a diesel is towing ability...... Diesel truck my have a higher resale value, but that is a big question mark when one considers the initial cost. Also many states tax based on GVW and diesel's have a higher GVW.

Jim.Allison

don't know why folks just won't step up and tell you what they would buy and tell you why you should buy it. I think a lot of folks just want to avoid conflict. That having been said, I will play the game. All the diesel trucks have something special. GM has the Allison 6 speed, that feature is hard to beat, Ram has the industrial Asien in the 3500, Ford has rolled out a brand new V8 diesel and GM has the tried and true Duramax. RAM has the tried and true 6.7 turbo Cumins. The new RAM chassis and the Cumins is a formidable combination. And is Best in class 5 years running. So one must do their homework here. Sometimes you find information in the most unpredictable places. I'm going to recommend that you go to YouTube and search problems new XXXX diesel. You choose the brand. See what you find. I bet you will come back with a whole different idea, just like I did at the last minute. I was drooling over a truck and was searching it on "youtube" dreaming away until I found a little article about a very critical problem. I changed my mind at the last minute, You can see which truck I bought, so I give you two guesses which one you should search. My power train is warranted for 100,000 miles, and I intend to earn the 500,000 mile badge. As far as load is concerned if you are running SRW the load limit is going to be 6400 LBS, so 2500/3500 does not really matter. IF you need a dually then you gotta go with the 3500. The advice to choose the 5th wheel you want first then get your truck is the best advice you can get. I will say that if you do not want a dually you can have a set of custom 17.5 in wheels made for commercial tires, that way you can stay SRW. I made a mistake listening to the sales guy. While it is true that my 2500 walks and talks pulling my fiver, a 3500 would have been a little better in the springs and possibly ordering the aisein transmission. Don't get me wrong my 2500 is plenty adequate, but I have had to make allowances such as load levelers etc. Ultimately your tires determine the load, drive train determines what it can pull, truck plus trailer. good luck and be sure to search XXXX Diesel Problems. The video was posted by a XXXX diesel mechanic at his dealership, very informative video, I wonder if XXXX made him take down the videos. Whoops!!!!!

dave10a

I like the looks of the new GM over all of them, but I am a little concerned about the re-calls GM seems to be having these days. Also for political reasons I favor Ford over GM and Chrysler because Ford did not mooch off the Government. Also Ford leap frog ed the competition in 2011 with engineering, but that gap has narrowed in 2013 while Ford up the anti in 2015. So if I trade for a new truck in 2016 I would look most at GM and Ford and for political reasons diminish Chrysler-- Fiat did a number on us.

camr

Two weeks ago we had our coach booked in at the factory for a week of warranty repairs. This required us to stay in a motel for 4 nights. We chose the Red Roof in Elkhart, because what doesn't kill me only makes me stronger. This is also the motel of choice for many of the RV transporters. What I saw during my 6:30 morning walks with my dog made a powerful statement regarding tow vehicles. The last morning that we were there, I made a count of the truck brands parked at the motel early in the morning. 13 Ram, 3 Ford and 1 GM. This was in sharp contrast to numbers that I see during my walks around any campground. Trying to be as unbiased as possible, all I can take from such an overwhelming number of Rams is that commercial haulers are valuing different truck attributes than us campers. I would imagine that cost of ownership, together with reliability would rank highest. I thought perhaps the DEF system issue would enter into the equation, but most of the trucks were pre-2011, so the choice between Ram and Ford would not factor in the DEF use issue.
Please note that I do not own a Ram, and I have no loyalty to any truck manufacturer. My post is strictly referring to truck numbers.

danemayer

all I can take from such an overwhelming number of Rams is that commercial haulers are valuing different truck attributes than us campers.
You'd have to assume they made their decision to haul RVs before they picked a tow vehicle. If not, there might be some completely different explanation. What you have is an observed correlation between RAMs and hauling RVs. Figuring out if there's a causal relationship is much trickier.

don't know why folks just won't step up and tell you what they would buy and tell you why you should buy it. I think a lot of folks just want to avoid conflict. That having been said, I will play the game. All the diesel trucks have something special. GM has the Allison 6 speed, that feature is hard to beat, Ram has the industrial Asien in the 3500, Ford has rolled out a brand new V8 diesel and GM has the tried and true Duramax. RAM has the tried and true 6.7 turbo Cumins. The new RAM chassis and the Cumins is a formidable combination. And is Best in class 5 years running. So one must do their homework here. Sometimes you find information in the most unpredictable places. I'm going to recommend that you go to YouTube and search problems new XXXX diesel. You choose the brand. See what you find. I bet you will come back with a whole different idea, just like I did at the last minute. I was drooling over a truck and was searching it on "youtube" dreaming away until I found a little article about a very critical problem. I changed my mind at the last minute, You can see which truck I bought, so I give you two guesses which one you should search. My power train is warranted for 100,000 miles, and I intend to earn the 500,000 mile badge. As far as load is concerned if you are running SRW the load limit is going to be 6400 LBS, so 2500/3500 does not really matter. IF you need a dually then you gotta go with the 3500. The advice to choose the 5th wheel you want first then get your truck is the best advice you can get. I will say that if you do not want a dually you can have a set of custom 17.5 in wheels made for commercial tires, that way you can stay SRW. I made a mistake listening to the sales guy. While it is true that my 2500 walks and talks pulling my fiver, a 3500 would have been a little better in the springs and possibly ordering the aisein transmission. Don't get me wrong my 2500 is plenty adequate, but I have had to make allowances such as load levelers etc. Ultimately your tires determine the load, drive train determines what it can pull, truck plus trailer. good luck and be sure to search XXXX Diesel Problems. The video was posted by a XXXX diesel mechanic at his dealership, very informative video, I wonder if XXXX made him take down the videos. Whoops!!!!!

Jim,

I really loved the RAM 2500. Only problem is... Dodge doesn't build a family truckerster that will accommodate a family of 5. Hands down I would have bought the dodge if it were not for the crappy rear seat. I 3 kids and even my smallest could not comfortable sit in the middle of the rear seat. Sure Dodge offers the MEGA Cub, but then I would have only gained about 500#'s of payload over my old F-150. But Man the Dodge is Sweet. We did test drive a 3500 just for the MEGA cab option, but I think I left my kidneys in the truck after the test Drive! ;) In the end, I went with the option the appeased she who must be obeyed,:) and what we could afford. Then we bought a 5th Wheel that fit our needs and the Tow vehicle we had purchased. We ended up by a non heartland product mainly due to the amenities, hitch weight and GVWR. not bad for a 35' 5th wheel, 1345# pin weight (Dry) and a GVWR of 10700.

Thanks to everyone for their input! It really did help me decide on both the truck and the 5th Wheel. Happy Camping to everyone!

Dave,

After my first towing adventure with the old TT, I completely see what you mean. 8.5 MPG pulling about 8500#'s. Oh Well Maybe a Diesel in 2017 or 2018. :rolleyes: Hey a man can dream. LOL

Regards,