fruit gnats

tomsws6

Ok, has anyone else had this issue? We take our trash out regularly and clean constantly. We use apple vinegar and dawn soap is a small mason jar and it catches a ton of them.. We also pour ammonia down the drain to catch any nests in the drain but there still coming around in droves. Its only in our kitchen living room area. Any help would be great as its starting to drive me bat s*** crazy..

Last edited by a moderator:

rdufek

Had the same problem, believe it to not incense seemed to get rid of them. I learned that they smoke irritates their breathing and they die off, and it seem to of worked. Good luck.

Bob and Valerie
And our beloved Saint Penelope
2015 BH 3750FL
2014 Ram 3500 DRW

Mrsfish

Then sounds like you've got a rotten piece of something, somewhere. Potatoe, onion, Apple even bread can cause these annoying creatures.

JanAndBill

Ok, has anyone else had this issue? We take our trash out regularly and clean constantly. We use apple vinegar and dawn soap is a small mason jar and it catches a ton of them.. We also pour ammonia down the drain to catch any nests in the drain but there still coming around in droves. Its only in our kitchen living room area. Any help would be great as its starting to drive me bat s*** crazy..

You sure they're not drain flies? They set up shop in the drains, laying eggs in the slime on the inside of your drain lines. Usually they occur after a period of non use on the drain. Once there they can be pesky buggers. Controlling means eliminating their breeding places. Use an enzyme type drain cleaner to eat away the slime in the lines, flush with hot water, and go back with a plunger to see if you get any gunk back up. If you do use the drain cleaner again or drain snake if necessary. If you have a Studor valve vent, they could have set up within the vent, which would be difficult to clean. If you have a leak in a drain line it could provide a site for them to breed. Find the sites and eliminate them, and they'll go away.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I found that banana peels seem to draw them out. If you eat a banana and put your peel in the trash inside the rv you will get gnats. Throw the peels outside. Potato peelings do a similar thing.