Fuel additive

TXTiger

I have a new 2012 6.7 Ford. I know that I have to add DEF. Is that the additive that this thread is about? Other than DEF I have never added anything.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Where does all of the Ford owners get this "Ford Additive"? I was never told to use it, and never heard about it. I guess I am a diesel dummy.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
I have a new 2012 6.7 Ford. I know that I have to add DEF. Is that the additive that this thread is about? Other than DEF I have never added anything.

Hey Tony, It is a fuel additive. Talked with my service manager he told me it couldn't hurt so I buy the single shots from motocraft. Costs a little more than the bigger bottles but no mess. It's available through the Ford parts department.

brianharrison

The lubricity test that are on line are very old. I haven't seen a new one for years. If anyone has I would like to see a link to it. Bio Diesel does help and we run a lot of it in the farm/ranch equipment. I think if you have anyone of the new Diesels you should use the additive just in case.

I have not seen a new test online for a while either - however the specs are current and the US spec for lubricity is 520 microns according to ASTM D975 Requirements for Diesel Fuel Oils. In Canada we use CAN/CGSB-3.517-2007 and the spec is 460 microns (lower has more lubricity). All manufacturers must meet these specs to sell onroad diesel, ULSD (ie less than 15 ppm).

I agree "an ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure......"

Brian

floridarandy

Dave & Michael-

Best price for Motorcraft Diesel Cetane Booster (Part #PM-22A) is at K-man parts. See link HERE. Have used in every tank fillup since we got our 2009 F250 6.4.

Randy

Hey Tony, It is a fuel additive. Talked with my service manager he told me it couldn't hurt so I buy the single shots from motocraft. Costs a little more than the bigger bottles but no mess. It's available through the Ford parts department.

Last edited:

ricatic

The fuel additive used to help the fragile HPFP in the Ford 6.7 is PM-22A. It is not just a Cetane enhancer but adds lubricity. It is available in a few quantity sizes. I buy the gallon size to keep the cost lower. the part number is PM-22A GAL. Your dealer may try to tell you it does not exist as he makes more money on the 22 ounce bottles...but he would be lying to you.

Keep in mind that the 2011 and newer GM Duramax's use the same fragile HPFP as the Ford...they can use the added lubrication of an additive as well...but the GM guy's do not have to worry about the warranty on their HPFP. Unlike Ford who try's to void the warranty any way possible, GM has silently and righteously fixed all theirs under warranty.

Regards

MTPockets

Ford dealer parts dept... 4 ounces per 25 gallons... I buy several 20 oz. bottles each trip to the dealer and add 4 oz. every fill up. Wrap the bottle in a rag and stash in door pocket.

rick_debbie_gallant

"TO USE (fuel additives) OR NOT TO USE", that is the question!!!

Talk about a mixed bag of opinions!!

Ford says "ya got to use it, or else"!

GM says "ya can use it or not use it, dont matter"!

Dodge says "don't use it or else"!

What ever happened to uniformity? This is about as confusing as listening to a bunch of politicos!!!

It is almost a crap shoot on what to do!!!!

Just sayin!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Ford says "ya got to use it, or else"!

Just for the record:

When I asked the service manager at my dealer about additives he told me that Ford had no official opinion but that it couldn't hurt. I showed him a document I downloaded somewhere (could have been here) titled Ford 6.7L Power Stroke Diesel Operating, Maintenance & care tips. He thought it was all good advice. so I use the Motocraft PM-22-A mentioned in the "Take care of your fuel injection system" section. I buy the 4 once single shot bottles to avoid spills a any chance of odor. I had to point out to the parts department that they were available, they do cost a bit more.

My dealer has several Ford dealerships in Wyoming so I asked about pump failures in general, he looked into it for me. To date under their umbrella they have had no fuel pump failures reported. They have however replaced a few DEF pumps.

I'm not stating this as fact just passing along what I've been able to glean so far.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
OK, a different fuel question. My TV will sit a good portion of the winter, with the occasional 30-40 mile run. Do I need to worry about diesel fuel deterioration. I heard that the ethanol will break down. Is this true?

Crumgater

We had some fuel/water separator issues, and ended up with a new fuel filter (filter was "full of residue") and new water sensor in the separator. We bought our 2008 F350 used, with 50k miles on it - so don't know what the previous owner did. When I asked about using additives, the Ford dealer said he did NOT recommend it for our vehicle. So... we don't use any additives.

We only put about 2-3k/year on the truck, but we make sure to get it out weekly for a good run, just to keep things moving. One person told me to keep the tank topped off to reduce water condensation. Another told me to keep the tank empty and fill it with fresh fuel when going for a drive... when only driving 30miles a week, I opt for the former - and try to keep it more than half-full.

MTPockets

Deisel tanks needs to be full for storage or long periods of non-use. We had a boat with Deisel Caterpillar and we had to add a biocide to the fuel for long term storage, and had to keep full tank to reduce condensation.

scottyb

Deisel tanks needs to be full for storage or long periods of non-use. We had a boat with Deisel Caterpillar and we had to add a biocide to the fuel for long term storage, and had to keep full tank to reduce condensation.

Yep. More air space, more condensation, and eventually a growth of algae will coat the inside of the tank, reaking havock on fuel filters and the entire fuel system. We had a 10,000 gal storage tank that had to be emptied, steam cleaned and treated with the "Biocide". It cost us $1000's in fuel filters and fuel system problems throughout our fleet. Keep them full and use a treatment if it is not getting used quickly.

wdk450

As with most topics on this forum, I wanted to get my 2 cents in. I hope my frequent posts are somewhat helpful to the rest of you.

I go to an independent diesel servicer, Orangevale Diesel, in the Sacramento area. I asked the owner about diesel additives, and he told me he uses Petrolabs Diesel Power Plus. Besides doing a great job at cleaning and protecting the engine fuels system, you only need to use 1 ounce for 32 gallons of fuel. A bottle (16 oz. measuring bottle) costs around $10. That's less than 2 cents a gallon of treated diesel. My mechanic told me that he had a guy come around with new diesel pollution measuring equipment for sale, and they tried it on the mechanic's 7 year old truck in which he had been using the Diesel Power Plus. The equipment could not measure any appreciable air pollution from the truck.

The bottles I get from Orangevale Diesel have "Petrolabs" marked on them. The Petrolabs website has "Diesel Power" additive listed, but not "Diesel Power Plus". Their website has several areas "under construction" that have not been updated in 2 years. Searching the term "Diesel Power Plus" got me to a website for Xtreme Diesel Performance, which sells Diesel Power Plus for 8.95, and it treats 32 gallons of fuel per ounce of additive. I called and asked about the Petrolabs/Extreme Diesel relationship, and the guy I talked to had no idea about it.

Here is a link to the Xtreme Diesel Performance webpage on Diesel Power Plus: http://www.xtremediesel.com/xdpdieselpowerplusfueladditive.aspx

Here's a link to Orangevale Diesel (Hint: Most 5er owners will LOVE their homepage pic!): http://orangevalediesel.com/index.html

Last edited:

lwmcguir

Yep. More air space, more condensation, and eventually a growth of algae will coat the inside of the tank, reaking havock on fuel filters and the entire fuel system. We had a 10,000 gal storage tank that had to be emptied, steam cleaned and treated with the "Biocide". It cost us $1000's in fuel filters and fuel system problems throughout our fleet. Keep them full and use a treatment if it is not getting used quickly.
All farmers/ranchers/equipment operators and so on have a lot of equipment that sits for months without use. As noted keep the fuel tanks full. If you buy from a reputable source the fuel is treated with biocide when it leaves the terminal. There is a difference if budget fuel and those that have a reputation they want to keep intact. Isothiazolin (found in many products) is one of the common biocides. Under normal use you shouldn't have to add biocide at all and the additives are a bit question except for lubricity.