Generator install Onan for those who have done this a little help

esscobra

I also thought/wanted to add the diesel gen set but weight and cost and also larger size just made it not practical- we have a spot inside the track a texas motor speedway- so 3x year for 5 days we are there and there are no hookups- and its usually hot - like earlier this month for indy car race- so its a/c- and we also go to a lot of drag race tracks with our car which never have hookups- so the gets used alot

porthole

Retired
I also thought/wanted to add the diesel gen set but weight and cost and also larger size just made it not practical

How did you actually move the genset into the trailer? The weight and awkwardness can be a challenge I suppose.

These numbers are rounded up.

The Onan 7000 EFi is 34 x 23 x 17 at 290 pounds (same specs as the 5500 and 7000 series)
The 8000 diesel is 37 x 24 x 23 at 420 pounds (same specs as the 6000)

I measured the Landmark compartment but don't have my notes handy. But if I recall, the larger gen would fit if the door and frame were removed for installation, along with moving the enclosure wall over 2".

Moving 420 pounds into that compartment would be the challenge.

- - - Updated - - -

ordered a 14 gal tank with return fitting

Source?

Attachments

• Fuel_tank.jpg
    Fuel_tank.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 22

avvidclif

How did you actually move the genset into the trailer? The weight and awkwardness can be a challenge I suppose.

These numbers are rounded up.

The Onan 7000 EFi is 34 x 23 x 17 at 290 pounds (same specs as the 5500 and 7000 series)
The 8000 diesel is 37 x 24 x 23 at 420 pounds (same specs as the 6000)

I measured the Landmark compartment but don't have my notes handy. But if I recall, the larger gen would fit if the door and frame were removed for installation, along with moving the enclosure wall over 2".

Moving 420 pounds into that compartment would be the challenge.

- - - Updated - - -

Source?

Put generator in bucket of the front end loader on my mini tractor. Stuff in hole. :D

esscobra

If doing the diesel- I would have cut bottom out- raised in and added extra support- as I don't think the stock flooring was designed for that extra 100+ pounds- as is I will be adding some bracing - I was lucking in that my dealer allowed me to have gen shipped there and we used pallet it came on and drove forklift up to trailer- slid unit in most of way of pallet and then from underneath I can push up an move unit around in compartment- I did that to run conduit for electric and battery cables- 2-3 3 good movers could lift in there or you can check tool rental places - they usually rent small manual lifts- even removing door -frame and enclosure- I don't think you can squeeze a diesel unit in compartment -

esscobra

I also felt the cost of the diesel units was to high- I was considering an 8 or 10k - it would only be worth it to have more power, the 7k has been great and have run everything in the heat with no issues - and since gas is cheaper than diesel again I couldn't justify the extra cost- and also I had short time from unit delivery to first race weekend- but I do not regret gettng the 7k injected unit

Cabindoc

Ok guys, if your done with the diesel discussion....I installed, bolted up, wired up with no problem. But now it is throwing a code 33. It won't even kick over when I hit the button. I read on another RV forum that it may be starter seleniod ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Scott, have you tried starting it at the generator not using the remote panel?

Do you hear anything?

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure you have a fault code 33?

look at this from the Onan manual.

Fault Codes
The genset controller provides extensive diagnostics by causing the status indicatorlight on the Control Switch to blink in a coded fashion.

Following a fault shutdown,the indicator light will repeatedly blink one, two, three or four blinks at a time.
• One blink indicates shutdown due to high engine coolant temperature.
• Two blinks indicates a low oil pressure fault.
• Three blinks indicates a service fault.

Press Stop once to cause thetwo-digit, second-level fault code to blink. (Pressing Stop again will stop theblinking.)
The two-digit code consists of 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 blinks, a brief pause,and then 1 to 9 blinks. The first set of blinks represents the tens digit and thesecond set of blinks the units digit of the fault code number. For example,Fault Code No. 36 appears as:blink-blink-blink—pause—blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink— long pause—repeat• Four blinks indicates that cranking exceeded 30 seconds without theengine starting.Note: Fault Code Nos. 3 and 4 are first level faults.

Avoid interpreting themas second-level Fault Code Nos. 33 and 44, which have not been assignedas fault codes.Restoring Fault Code Blinking – The fault code stops blinking after fiveminutes (15 minutes, Series HGJAA). Press Stop three times within five seconds torestore blinking. Note that the last fault logged will blink, even after thecondition that caused the shutdown has been corrected.

- - - Updated - - -

Onan manuals.

Part 2 of the service manual may be too large for the forum, pm me an email.

Attachments

• Onan_RV_QG_5500_Manual.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • Onan_service_manual_part_1.pdf
    15.8 MB · Views: 5

Cabindoc

I have a owners manual on CD. Have to go into my office machine as none of my laptops have a cd slot. Meantime. Im sure it is 33. 3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks, longer pause. Pressing once does nothing. Pressing 3 times does nothing. After I hook up battery, fuel pump runs far a couple minutes, then the flashing. Tried to start at multiple points in the process and it will not kick. Remember, I never had Thor running. Bought used and seller swears it was working when he removed and got it with his camper. When he sold, removed and sold it. Then sent me manual. WTF is 33???

porthole

Retired
There is no code 33 as far as I can tell.

A net search for 33 comes back to improper reading of the codes.

PM me your email, I have the operator's AND service manuals as PDF's

- - - Updated - - -

No start as in

makes no sound when hitting start button?

clicks - clunks and doesn't turn over?

turns over but doesn't start?

avvidclif

Have you done a reset on the generator? If it has a primary code it may not do anything, it won't try to start or anything else.

Now I can't find my notes on how to reset.

avvidclif

Ok, found my notes. The reset procedure is no-where in the service manual. I got it from an Onan dealer. Write it down and don't lose it.

Turn off breakers on Generator
On the Generator push stop twice rapidly and the start briefly. DO NOT START

It should clear the code and when Stop/Prime is held down the red light should be on steady. If not do it again. It may take up to 3 times to clear.

If a steady red light in Stop/Prime then start the generator and once stabilized turn on the breakers.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. Code 3. Service required confirmed.

Press stop once and it will give the second level code.

Cabindoc

That didn't work, but Duanne figured it out. Disconnected remote switch. Started right up.

Cabindoc

Turns out when they installed remote start switch, 2 terminals were touching thereby shorting the switch in the off position. Once I fixed that, works perfect. Thank you all for your input. Especially Duane.