Generator install Onan for those who have done this a little help

porthole

Retired
I also felt the cost of the diesel units was to high- I was considering an 8 or 10k - it would only be worth it to have more power, the 7k has been great and have run everything in the heat with no issues - and since gas is cheaper than diesel again I couldn't justify the extra cost- and also I had short time from unit delivery to first race weekend- but I do not regret gettng the 7k injected unit

Looking at specs on the Norwall site I see that the EFI and carbureted versions of the 7.0 generator have a difference of 3 dBAs in noise ratings.

So unless the fuel injectors make a racket I don't see why it should make a difference.

Have you had the chance to compare relative noise levels?
To some, a 3 dBA may be barely perceptible, to others it could be a perceived 20% increase.

As to our rig, with the Cyclone, you can barely hear the genny when in bed, and that is right over the compartment. Outside around the trailer, I would say it is about the same as the Honda 3K inverter generator we have.

esscobra

Honestly - compared to others 5ers around its seems quieter- and my bedroom is right above as well - and without a/c on you barely hear it- one note though- the fuel pump is louder than generator- high pitched whine- but I have it mounted at top of propane compartment to the frame- even other non RV owners who were guests that slept in bedroom said they could barely hear it and it didn't bother them- yes I could move it and do some insulation but honestly I really only notice if I am trying to hear it- and we had no issues watching the tv mounted in storage bay right next to it.

porthole

Retired
Honestly - compared to others 5ers around its seems quieter- and my bedroom is right above as well - and without a/c on you barely hear it- one note though- the fuel pump is louder than generator- high pitched whine- but I have it mounted at top of propane compartment to the frame- even other non RV owners who were guests that slept in bedroom said they could barely hear it and it didn't bother them- yes I could move it and do some insulation but honestly I really only notice if I am trying to hear it- and we had no issues watching the tv mounted in storage bay right next to it.

Is this a separate fuel pump from the genny?
Does the genny need a pressurized fuel supply from the tank?
If so, is the pump supplied with the genny?
Does it also require a return line?

WillyBill

If the generator is Injected the it will have a high pressure fuel pump and a return line going back to tank. The high pressure pump is the whine (normal). My carburetor version only has a low pressure (3-5 psi) pump and can only be heard if the genny is not running and there is no other noise around and has no return line. Either type of system does require a pressurized fuel supply due to the design of their fuel systems. The high pressure pump CAN be wrapped with a bit of sound deadening material without causing any problems. Reflectix ( the puffy stuff some puts in their windows for sun insulation) is a cost effective option for example.

WillyBill

carl.swoyer

That's not a code. It's telling you there's a code in que. I believe that you press and hold the off button then count the two sets of flashing lights. These two are your code.
Could be low oil
No fuel flow

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

esscobra

yes - separate high pressure pump- comes with wiring to plug into generator- due to time constraints- I mounted in top of propane compartment just under bedroom floor- only slight whine but with a/c or anything else - you don't hear it- I don't notice at night even when a/c cycles off- and will at some point move to different location- lower- and also have thought about the noise barrier and or foam but to be honest it hasn't bothered me and been doing other upgrades - again its really not noticeable unless your looking to hear it- my friends don't rv and they came and spent 3 nights in the bedroom and they said they wouldn't have noticed unless I had said something and it did not disturb their sleep

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a separate fuel pump from the genny? yes
Does the genny need a pressurized fuel supply from the tank? yes- tank to pump-then to genny
If so, is the pump supplied with the genny? no separate item to buy- but widely avail- comes with mount bracket an harness to plug into genset
Does it also require a return line?
yes

tank setup has everything including hoses- also there is optional fuel gauge- which I have not installed yet- need to run wire inside by gen control panel , but with 100 deg days here - it will wait till later this year when its cooler -

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_7928.jpg
    IMG_7928.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 16

Cabindoc

So mine had a return line genny and trailer, pump was already installed directly adjacent to fuel lines. I don't hear a whine. How can you tell efi vs carbureted?
f145f6097b10dd43c517c8c23412da15.jpg

Based on pic and sound, I'm guessing carbureted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

esscobra

gen will say efi on it and that says low pressure ( efi high press ) and to small pump mine is largr and on metal bracket I bolted to frame- wont fit under gen in space where yours is

Attachments

• IMG_8535.jpg
    IMG_8535.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 12