Give Heartland your feedback on the 2012 Landmark - what do you want?

jjriker

Just my personal preference...but I do not like the split bath setup. To me, it feels like I am walking through the bathroom to get to my bedroom. JMO

Sailor

We disliked that humongous desk also, so when we ordered our 2011 GC, we had the factory change it. We moved the fireplace underneath the tv, and made the desk go straight across. Still gives plenty of desk space, and give us more room in the LR! Plus, now it isn't hot sitting in the recliner closest to the desk when the fp is on! Even our sales rep thought it was a better idea! :)

How about Heartland improving their QC so after you get your new unit you don't have to put up with lots of problems that should have been resolved before you pick up the new unit?

rebootsemi

I would second the post concerning Heartland factories workmanship and quality control or lack there of. Just slap them together and out the door. If the outside looks good the unit must be ready to go, wrong answer. You folks in the front offices need to look around in here to see all of the problems people are having with brand new units and the snake in the grass dealers that sell them.

mmomega

AnyTimer
Love the spaciousness of our Key Largo. Love the HUGE shower, so nice to not have to lather spin three times to the left, twice to the right and slide out. I just wish there was a rear basement option like on the Carriage Cameo, it doesn't have to be as huge as the front basement but ever extra little bit of outside storage would help.

Still haven't discovered where to connect satellite to bedroom tv from UDC, none of the connections work, living room works great though.

Auto-leveling a GREAT feature, when it works, went to a great rv park with full concrete pads and it wouldn't fully level to save its life, even the heartland tech that happened to be there wasn't sure why. The next week at a small state park with uneven gravel pad and it worked like a charm the first time. I'm keeping track of it to get an avg, maybe it likes dirt/gravel better.

A few minor problems here and there but overall great product. Leaps and bounds better than our previous more expensive other brand.

jbeletti

...Auto-leveling a GREAT feature, when it works, went to a great rv park with full concrete pads and it wouldn't fully level to save its life, even the heartland tech that happened to be there wasn't sure why. The next week at a small state park with uneven gravel pad and it worked like a charm the first time. I'm keeping track of it to get an avg, maybe it likes dirt/gravel better...

Perhaps the site was off level more than the system can handle and the system stroked out. When you are at a site that is pretty low on one side, try this: Add 4 to 6 inches of blocking below the low jack pad before hitting the auto-level button.

Jim

JamesD

A lot of these are likes rather than must haves but they would be nice to have... for me anyway.

Your countertops are my least favorite color/style from the models I'm looking at. They remind me of a friend's garage floor where he put sealant down and tossed little colored dots on it for traction. It just doesn't look as classy to me. The ones in the new Redwoods look *really* nice. It's sort of a marble look. That other brand also has a nice solid backsplash behind the stove that looks really nice.

I like walkthrough islands. The L shaped counters feel like they take too much space.
People complain about the big desk and then eat up more space with a big island you have to walk around to get to the stove or fridge.

I like 5ers with the long windows over the slides in the living area. I can have the blinds closed and still have some light to walk around at night without turning on the lights. It also makes the RV brighter during the day.

I don't like the tall window in the bedroom. I'd rather and a wider dresser with cabinets up above and the window in the middle. Leave room for a 32" TV in the bedroom at least as an option.

I like bedroom slide windows over the head of the bed instead of on the sides of the slide.

Put entrys on your price/order lists for omitting TVs and mattresses. I'd rather buy my own TV that I can take back to any Walmart or BestBuy than have to send a TV in for a factory warranty. And frankly, a lot of people don't like the mattresses you offer. Anyone with a bad back will probably want a different mattress.

Stop putting wood framing around your TVs. If I want to put a 37" in place of your "big" 32 inch tv (what I have in my bedroom) then I should be able to do it. At least leave a little clearance for a TV upgrade.

Better warranty! At this price, it should be better than other Heartland lines.

The large desk and large showers are the two things that put the Landmark over the competitors for me. And since storage is my other concern, the big bedroom slide is important to me. So, here is what I would like in a 5er. Yes, I know you can't get to the bedroom or bathroom with the bedroom slide closed. I've decided full time comfort has to come before occasional travel issues. The scale of things are probably a little off but I don't have your cad software so I had to cut and paste from one layout to another.
MyGrandCanyon1.jpg
MyGrandCanyon2.jpg

BTW, I would like a hutch with an "appliance garage" at the end of the kitchen counter rather than a window in the kitchen.

Last edited:

tvermette

My wife and I are both "remote" employees and we live full time in our 2011 Augusta with our two children. We home school the kids. We searched and searched and loved the quality of the Landmark product, so we bought the Augusta. The only thing we wish we had done is purchases a "competitor" model that had a triple axle with an extra 7 feet that included a room off the back with bunks and a desk. This would have been a perfect scenario for us. I would like to see Landmark build such a unit with its top notch quality, I think they would be very popular.

So, that's my suggestion, please consider that for a floor plan.

A couple of other recommendations:

In the master bedroom, there are plastic clips that hold the curtains down and in place. They are always broken because when you sleep at night, you bump them and break them. I would recommend a harder plastic, or aluminum.

This would be a great option, but include a ladder rack underneath the unit in which you could slide in a ladder and clip it in place for easy transporting.

The other recommendation would be to build a stronger hitch on the back of the unit. I purchased the bolt on hitch, and when I put our families bikes on there (4), the bike rack bounces so back that I have to strap the bike rack to the ladder (not fun).

Put more than one breaker in the kitchen. If you have a pot of coffee going and pop in some toast, you always trip a breaker.

There are a few things! Overall, great unit.. We love it and get lots of compliments on it.

-Tom

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Bring back the kitchen like the Augusta had. I like the way it was set up with a seperate shelf that you can set a coffee pot on. jmho

Looking1

Since Alfa went out of business in 2008, it would be nice if the Landmark line would come up with a similar design as the Alfa Gold, this unit had everything you could think of, i.e., King Dome, 2000w inverter, garbage disposal, solar wiring, etc. The MSRP was $105,000 about the same as a similar Landmark. Folks are looking for someone to fill the design and upgrade designs that once captured Alfa buyers. I'm looking for someone in the industry to fill this void. I personally believe that Landmark is getting close and once you get there, myself and other Alfa owners will flock to the Luxury lined Landmark.

jimtoo

Since Alfa went out of business in 2008, it would be nice if the Landmark line would come up with a similar design as the Alfa Gold, this unit had everything you could think of, i.e., King Dome, 2000w inverter, garbage disposal, solar wiring, etc. The MSRP was $105,000 about the same as a similar Landmark. Folks are looking for someone to fill the design and upgrade designs that once captured Alfa buyers. I'm looking for someone in the industry to fill this void. I personally believe that Landmark is getting close and once you get there, myself and other Alfa owners will flock to the Luxury lined Landmark.

Hi Looking1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family some day. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sure there are some others out there that would like those options also.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Love the augusta we have, make it so you can put the couch at the back by the windows and the chairs on the side. we have to move ours every time we stop. It is very difficult to watch TV from the back by the windows. ditto on the breakers, LED lights in the light bar over the sink rather than the Hals. We just spent 2 months traveling with ours, the stairs are a bear to close.

porthole

Retired
Since I mentioned this in another thread, how about a gasoline option for the generator? Fuel cells are already available just down the street at the Cyclone plant.

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Just me, but bring back the Augusta floor plan with some of the items mentioned, different lamps above the kitchen area ect.
Thanks

JamesD

The solar wiring and garbage disposal would definitely be nice. Not sure what the King Dome is.

TeleBack

I have discovered something else that is becomming essential!!! Our rig (as others) came with a DVD player w/surround sound. We have since added our TIVO unit, a cable modem and wireless router. Guess how warm that compartment gets when the door is closed to that space?

Our compartment has a glass front so there is no way for the heat to escape.

Great thread! Lots and lots of ideas. We are hard on the trail of a new Landmark with the San Antonio as our first choice. We expect to purchase in Jan-Feb 2012. When will the factory make/announce the final decision on changes for the 2012 or 2013 model years? That announcement could affect our final choice. Thanks for the reply.

jimtoo

Great thread! Lots and lots of ideas. We are hard on the trail of a new Landmark with the San Antonio as our first choice. We expect to purchase in Jan-Feb 2012. When will the factory make/announce the final decision on changes for the 2012 or 2013 model years? That announcement could affect our final choice. Thanks for the reply.

Hi David,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think the model change is Oct,, Nov.. not sure, but should have some information by then. And they are making changes all the time also. The San Antonio is our choice also when we get ready to move on up.

Enjoy the forum and hopefully we will get some information soon.

Jim M

We would like to see the Rushmore kitchen area in the San Antonio. The extra living space provided in the SA allows FTers to not feel like they have so much kitchen. I like to cook but DO NOT live in that area. The extra space in the bedroom available with the WD in the LR/K area is super.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We are in a Key Largo and unfortunately the drawer for the vacuum parts is NOT EVEN close enough to being big enough to fit all the pieces. Please keep this in mind in future designs.