Gmc 2500 hd

Dylan

We've purcahsed a 3670RL, and we now need a truck to pull it. Does anyone out there know if a GMC 2500 HD, with no modifications is sufficient to pull this trailer? Thoughts, comments, nasty suggestions all welcome. Thanks....

TXBobcat

Fulltime
First, what year is the 2500? A lot will depend on the year. Newer pickups have a better towing capacity.

In my opinion I would say no. I have an 2006 F250 Diesel. It will pull my 3400RE but I am at the limit. I wanted the 3670 but it was to heavy for my 2006 F250, which has a 5th wheel maximum of 15,500. When you add the weight of the truck and the trailer you are at or above the GVWR of the 2006 F250.

Get a new 1 Ton. You won't regret it.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dylan, a 2500HD will be overloaded due to the loaded pin weight of the 3670. I'm not saying it isn't being done but just passing on the facts. Yes it will do the job and yes it will be over the trucks GVRW. It's your call. Air bags will help with leveling the loaded truck but won't increase the trucks factory rating.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We've purcahsed a 3670RL, and we now need a truck to pull it. Does anyone out there know if a GMC 2500 HD, with no modifications is sufficient to pull this trailer? Thoughts, comments, nasty suggestions all welcome. Thanks....

Hello!

I sent you a PM with some information that might be helpful!

Best Wishes!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As I mentioned in a related post, figure the pin weight of a BH3670 to be at least 2950 lbs. and the tow weight to be 14500 lbs. That's with a full compliment of summer clothing, bedding, and necessary "stuff," along with a washer/dryer in the closet. Increase that if you have water/sewage in the tanks, a generator, the wife's combat boots, or Grandma's heirloom set of cast iron cookware inside.

From the spec. sheets, older GM2500 pickups were close to their limits on this. The newer (2010 or newer) ones have higher ratings that rival the older 3500 ratings.

caissiel

My 2500 98 GM would carry much more pin weight then my 2005 F250 due to Ford usualy having lighter springs. I had to add more spring plies and it realy did a good job for stability that the GM already had. I always compare other trucks and the GM's though not rated as high will hold the weight quite well.
For me the Big Country with mid washer/dryer arrangement was a no brainer as the pin weight was very similar to the previous trailer I towed very well with the GM for 9 years. But the Big Horn is a heavier unit that I would not dare to pull with my F250 because the pin weight will load my F250 above the capacity. But you might have some capacity left with the GM as I felt I did have also in a lighter truck.

Birchwood

The fact you are on the forum inquiring about weights indicates you are a responsible RV hauler.
Modifications to your tow vehicle will not put you in the right if an accident occurs.Don't
exceed the GVWR (stamped on door sill)of you truck and you won't be in an overload situation.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Only you can make the final decision between can do and should do, good enough, close enough, or more than enough. I like to lean towards the should do and more than enough choices.

Corkey

I purchased a 2012 3670RL in October and have made three trips approximately 2000 miles pulling with a 2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Diesel. I can see a little difference in pulling from my 32' Travel Trailer a little longer on acceleration but it seams to pull much easer then expected. I have no problems at this time all of my travel has been in Fla. & Ga. looking forward to getting into the mountians.

P.S. We love our BigHorn.

Corkey:)