Grease ?

dougw

So a while ago I put disk brakes on the trailer. Upon lots of reading I packed the bearings with mobil 1 synthetic bearing grease. So in the mean time my grease gun still has the Mobil 1 loaded in it and sits in my workshop. Since there is no cooling in the workshop it can get hot and I've notice the grease dripping out of the grease gun.

So the question is, at 98 degrees in the workshop should the grease get thin enough to drip? If it drips at 98 then what's it look like at wheel temps?

Thanks

MTPockets

What you're seeing is normal. Any good grease, synthetic included, will show signs of oil at times. The "grease" is nothing but a sponge that holds the oil where you want it. It's the liquid oil in the grease that actually does the work providing a very thin layer between the moving metal parts, in this case your bearings. You're seeing the excess from the sponge.

dougw

Cool, thanks guys, I feel better.

Amazing that you found the specific faq question, thanks

There is the grease seal in back to keep it all in. I'm surprised it doesn't drip out of the bearing nut on the front side though. It doest leak so I guess all is good.

Thanks again.