Greetings from another prospective owner!

Howdy!

I've been RVing since the 70s, got my wife into it and we've been doing regional RVing for about the last 8 years. Had a TT bunkhouse for a while - used it as a pantry mostly because daughter is grown and gone. Got a CruiserAire 29RS last year and been pleased with it, but looking to take the next step. Upgraded the truck in preparation - went with a 2015 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW so i can drag anything reasonable. Narrowed things down between a Bighorn 3875FB with pantry/office or 3750FL and maybe one other mfr. Have yet to look at dealerships, just seen some at RV shows over the years. By all means if y'all have a compelling dealership recommendation let's have it. We don't mind driving for it - heck I don't need an excuse to hook it and book it.

Anyway, figured intro was in order. Will be doing plenty of reading, and am sure I'll come up with a question or 10. Good to see factory reps involved in discussions.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Chris

Last edited:

AAdams

We are leaving Texas Tuesday to pick ours up from Tim at Terrytown in Grand Rapids MI on the May 5th. We think we got a pretty good deal considering we are trading a '15 RW390. We order a Bighorn 3750FL. From what we looked at it has a lot of outside storage, including under the bedroom. The inside is large, plenty of storage, nice bathroom and 1 pc shower, plenty of seating for guest in the LR. It lacks some on counter space, but then there is the hutch counter and table, so it all works out. This will be our 3rd Heartland out of 3 rigs. We figured if we got a good product, good backing from the company, why change.

'Lil Guy'

If youi are in Houston, Loe Star RV on 45 is full of Heartland rigs and have some Bighorns set up in their showroom. Ask for Rod and he'll show you the works. He's also good with negotiations.
Good luck on your endeavor.

Thanks for the leads!

AlanAlan/Debra - have a safe trip back from the delivery. Eager to hear how it tows and how your PDI experience goes.

brianlajoie

I would check rvtrader and rvt on the web for market prices. Lets you know what other dealers are doing.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Chris, download the HL MSRP from the forum. Add up all the options you want. Take that total, then subtract 25-30% from that. Then go make your deal. Also keep in mind that HL will let you use an independant service center for any warranty repairs. This way if you do not buy at a local dealer you can get warranty work done anywhere. Call HL and see who they have local to you.

Was just now able to DL the MSRP & Special Build sheets, so I'll put together our want lists and figure that out. We're heavily leaning toward the Bighorn, but have to do my due diligence and at least look at the Redwoods and DRVs, otherwise it will eat at me. The warranty consideration is definitely playing into the mix, but fit and finish are going to be paramount. I've seen too many cheaply made, poorly constructed RVs to last a lifetime.

Plus my wife would really like it if my "loading the dishwasher" comments would mean something other than me mixing her another cocktail ;)

laprez

FYI - Thor has absorbed another one - "Heartland RV has acquired Howe-based competitors Cruiser RV and DRV, Heartland parent company Thor Industries announced Monday, Jan. 5."

You need a self-loading DW like mine - just find a winery...:cool:

FYI - Thor has absorbed another one - "Heartland RV has acquired Howe-based competitors Cruiser RV and DRV, Heartland parent company Thor Industries announced Monday, Jan. 5."

You need a self-loading DW like mine - just find a winery...:cool:
I'm not so heartbroken by the Thor absorption - I personally have had good experience with their products over the years. Heck, my Four Winds FEMA trailer - I sent the VIN number in to the generic customer service email, and a rep sent me build sheets, part numbers for the entire unit, and pointed me where I could get spare parts. Didn't need much (awning assembly and bearings), but very reassuring that I had all the details back pocket.

Probably a good idea we keep the wives away from each other - I can foresee liver damage and RV upgrades in our future if we don't ��

Hogladyrider

We started out with a KZ MXT toyhauler and after a while we realized we wanted more living space.

We spent our weekends visiting local RV dealers here in Florida, UGH, not a viable option for purchase for us, but we got to check out a lot of RV's and determine fit and finish.

The BEST is the RV Show in Tampa each January. Back in 2008-09 we were pretty "fixed" on Carriage and then we found Heartland and we realized Big Country was in our budget but we liked the Big Horn.

At that time there were not many Heartland dealers in Florida. Long story short we bought online and made the trip from Florida to Michigan to pick up our 2009 Big Horn 3600RL. We got a great deal as it was a special order RV that had fallen thru. We loved that RV for many years and the few things that needed repairs we did ourselves as they were mostly QC items.

Now we have our home for sale and plan on going fulltime and we felt it was time for a new RV for our fulltime lives and we debated on downsizing from 38' to smaller to fit into State Parks. Bottom line is we went bigger with the Big Horn 3875FB and we LOVE it.

We traded our 09 Big Horn and custom ordered our new Big Horn from the same dealer in Michigan.

We shopped and shopped in Florida figuring if we could get a good deal on a 2015 that was on a lot it would be worth not towing our 09 for the drive to Michigan, but again no Florida dealers were willing to come even close to the price if we custom ordered a 2016 so we took a week off work and made the drive and we would do it again in a heartbeat.

We had very few PDI issues, spent two nites at the dealership, who has hookups, and we are back in Florida with our RV set up in a park, though we are not in it full time yet it is being used full time. We are here every weekend and we have a coworker living in it during the week. The improvements that have been made over these past years are wonderful and the fit and finish of a Heartland surpasses any other in the same price category. Go for it you won't regret it.
Susan

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
Just on our way home from taking the factory tour for big horn. We live in south Florida and know what you mean. Where in Michigan did you get your unit at?

Hogladyrider

Just on our way home from taking the factory tour for big horn. We live in south Florida and know what you mean. Where in Michigan did you get your unit at?

Oh factory tour is on our bucket list for when we go fulltime!

We still have sticks n'bricks in Central Florida, it is for sale, Howey In The Hills. We purchased BOTH of our Big Horn's from Lakeshore RV in Muskegon, MI, great customer service all the way around, not to mention great pricing!

Please share your thoughts on the factory tour!
Susan

franks1

Retired Alabama Chapter Leaders
The factory tour was very interesting. The line is not going and the workers have gone home. You see from the very beginning to the end. You get to walk on the line and anywhere between the units. It is amazing to see what goes on and how it is done. They answer all your questions and are very interested in your comments. We got to go in some of the units that were made that day. There were only 6 of us on the tour, so it is very informative. We also spent 5 days in the area and that was good. If you go, make sure you go to the RV hall of fame. We are going full time next year and this made our decision to buy a Heartland unit.