Hallo alle from Germany

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Nathan & I are in Germany for a couple of weeks and ran across this motor home on our travels this weekend on auto bon. We also saw one rv sale lot and one campground. Sorry I didn't get pictures of those in that we were moving too fast.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150628_100251(1)_resized.jpg
    20150628_100251(1)_resized.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 143

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Guten Tag! When I was stationed there back in the late '60's, it was not uncommon to see Germans camping along the rivers in unpopulated areas. Mostly tents and small vans back then.

pegmikef

During my last tour in Augsburg, Germany we had an eighteen foot Travel Trailer (caravan in German) that we pulled to Austria and Italy annually. It was a great way to see the countries and get to know the people. It was not much different than the American travel trailers of that era except that it used a tongue activated surge braking system and 220 volts. It was also much lighter than American trailers.

wdk450

If you watch the Tour de France coverage on TV you will be amazed by how many RV's you see parked along the route from the aerial shots. There are a lot more RV's in Europe than most of us think.

I spent 18 months in a tiny, isolated, Navy base near Kiel on the Baltic Sea in 1972. I went home on leave for my parents 30th wedding anniversary when the Munich Olympics tragedy happened. We were all concerned about the Baader-Meinhoff terrorist group running amok in Germany at that time.

OEFVET

During our visit last year we came upon some popular vacation spots along the sides of some rivers. We saw tents, popups, class c, and travel trailers. It was different but neat to see how they camp in Europe.

Nabo

Coming out of Heidelberg we passed the now abandoned military base which was pretty big at one time. One of the co-workers of Nathan's was born in Heidelberg when his parents were stationed there. We even went by his home which was off base and he was tickled to see that his babysitter still lives across the street.

OEFVET

When I was stationed their I was in Leimen instead of Patrick Henry Village. Great Memories

Nabo

Here is one of the travel trailers. It might have been 12-14 feet long pulled by a subcompact.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150628_100437_resized.jpg
    20150628_100437_resized.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 61