Has anyone ever added additional stoarge bays to the outside of your Heartland?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
In our case, we are fine keeping blocks, etc in the storage bins which frees up storage in the front compartment of the camper for other things.

porthole

Retired
I have had one set of bins since the trailer was picked up (07/2009).
I added a second set a few years ago.
There are rather tall ribs on the bottom, maybe an inch.
I drilled extra drainage holes.

What I have found in our travels:
The front bins set almost flush with the side of the trailer, using the pin to lock them in place. These bins occasionally get some water in them. Not much, but I wouldn't store paper towels in there. One bin gets all the wood blocking and the other gets all sewer stuff.

The rear set of bins I push in past the locking pin, so they are about 2" in from the side of the trailer. I have never got water in those bins.

Now, that may be because the front bins are blocking some of the tire spray, but the tire spray is already knocked down by the mud flaps iI have.
On the occasion I did not push the bins in past the pin I had some water inside.

The lids do not seal. So if you are driving through a very dusty area, you will get that dust-dirt in the bins.

Given those limitations the bins are great for what they are. Especially if you are looking for a place to store stuff like sewer gear or wet-muddy wood blocks.

I consider these a must have, as long as they fit.

Nabo

Duane - would love to see a picture of the 2 sets of bins on your Cyclone the next time you are out. We've been trying to decide to remove the factory installed spare tire frame and get a second set of bins with the spare tire built in but wasn't sure if it would work or not.
Thanks

porthole

Retired
Duane - would love to see a picture of the 2 sets of bins on your Cyclone the next time you are out. We've been trying to decide to remove the factory installed spare tire frame and get a second set of bins with the spare tire built in but wasn't sure if it would work or not.
Thanks

Nathan, specific pictures, which?

Before you get too excited with the idea, check and see if the spare tire carrier is an option on the narrower version (non toy hauler).

Also note with the current frames I have, the long bin version is different then the short bin version.
The long bin version has support braces across the center preventing a spare tire carrier from being an option.

- - - Updated - - -

I can do whatever pictures you like on Friday, providing our winter storm warning fizzles out.

Nabo

Thxs Duane. We currently have the biggest double tray on the Landmark which has the support brace bars. On the BC, we had the double trays with the spare tire holder but the trays were smaller because of the tire holder. Will be interesting to see what the difference is.

porthole

Retired
Without crawling under and looking to see exactly how much room, I can tell you the short bins with spare carrier is the longer frame. My bins only go in as far as the edge of the frame, where the long bin version I can push in past the locking pins.

The short bins without the spare have enough room for 3 bins.

BigGuy82

Specifically, has anyone installed one of these on a Bighorn or Big Country? We're leaving soon for a two month trip and I'd like to get this installed before we leave.

81FF1pWjqlL._SX522_.jpg
I'm particularly interested how you used nut/bolt fasteners with the coroplast in the way. Cut a panel adjacent to the bolt site? Any problems with "stuff" (insulation, wiring or any other obstacle)? The directions show starting the securing process with a self drilling screw on each end, used in conjunction with a nut/bolt/lockwasher - I'd be more comfortable with nuts/bolts all around. What did you do when you installed it? Any problems lining up the brackets with frame members? It looks like the center peice is drilled also - did you use that and is there even a place to bolt to?

Once you got it installed, what are your thoughts on overall performance of the product?

Thanks in advance for any input.

porthole

Retired
From the factory when they were standard equipment on Cyclones, they were attached with self tappers.
Mine stayed that way for several years until I moved them, then I used nuts and bolts.

The mounting flanges should match up to the frame flange and more then likely you can just bolt them up over the corro-plast.

- - - Updated - - -

There are several varieties. The picture you posted is the long bin version.
I have two sets, one long, one short bin with spare carrier.

I use them all the time and for me they work great. Mostly keep stuff that are or can be messy.

#1 short has all my wood boards for the jacks.
#2 short has all my sewer hook stuff and one section of hose.
#3 long has a bunch of the square yellow stackable "lego" blocks and my "Gen-turi" pipes and the arm portion of my portable satellite dish.
#4 long has all the dog accessories and LED lights we set up around camp.

Mrsfish

Specifically, has anyone installed one of these on a Bighorn or Big Country? We're leaving soon for a two month trip and I'd like to get this installed before we leave.

View attachment 49534
I'm particularly interested how you used nut/bolt fasteners with the coroplast in the way. Cut a panel adjacent to the bolt site? Any problems with "stuff" (insulation, wiring or any other obstacle)? The directions show starting the securing process with a self drilling screw on each end, used in conjunction with a nut/bolt/lockwasher - I'd be more comfortable with nuts/bolts all around. What did you do when you installed it? Any problems lining up the brackets with frame members? It looks like the center peice is drilled also - did you use that and is there even a place to bolt to?

Once you got it installed, what are your thoughts on overall performance of the product?

Thanks in advance for any input.

did you ever get this mounts on your 3010re? We're looking for some outside storage boxes and this might work. You didn't post what make and model of box this is. Mind sharing?

BigGuy82

did you ever get this mounts on your 3010re? We're looking for some outside storage boxes and this might work. You didn't post what make and model of box this is. Mind sharing?

Didn't do this yet - disc brakes got done first and I haven't had the time for this yet. Won't be doing it until the spring - getting a hip replaced in September. The boxes are made by Lippert.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk