Have you been gutted like a deer too?

alwaysbusy

So I'm having some warranty work done at a Heartland dealer. One of the items on the list is a small water leak within the underbelly. On a camping trip, we noticed a slow water drip coming from a small little hole in the coroplast below the fresh tanks dead center of the coach. When dropping coach off for work I made one request regarding this repair which was that they drop the coroplast to find versus cutting a panel and taping it shut.

I understand why the later would be done. Doing so requires less time and is easier. However, cutting and taping does not aid in the retention of heat. Eventually the tape falls off and thereby a continual maintenance issue is born; and if these type of repairs are repeated, the underbelly begins to look as though Edward Scissorhands has been working on your unit.

To continue my story, today I received a copy of the diag warranty work. For this fix, the tech wrote "gained access by cutting open........taped underbelly closed." I'm a little disturbed.

So my question is for those of you who have had work done where the dealer had to gain access in the belly. Did they take the time to cut heads off and drop it or is cutting and taping the standard practice and I should just come to accept it. To me, this seems shoddy but I don't want to overreact. Anyone?

Lynn1130

In one case they dropped the cover and in another they cut and taped. The tape they used is still there and shows no sign of coming off. That was about 3 years ago and many miles.

danemayer

On our Landmark, the rear section of the coroplast is tucked into the rear cap and into the drop frame. Removing the screws from the sides doesn't provide good access to the center. A cut would be required for many repairs.

MTPockets

I cut and taped mine four years ago and still looks and holds like I did it yesterday. I wouldn't worry. I've never read of any complaint on the Heartland forums.

sengli

This is second heartland fiver we have owned, both of them were bought new. On our first elkridge unit, we had a leak like you described. Coroplast was sagging with a load of water from somewhere. I specifically told the service writer that I didnt want the coroplast sliced, but taken down for the inspection and repair, in warranty. They found the leak and fixed it. But they cut open the under belly and did not even try to tape up the sliced areas at all. I had to use some gorilla tape and repair the slices in the coroplast myself after the fact.

When I confronted them on the method they used, they flat out told me that heartland would not pay for the extra labor hours involved in taking down the coroplast for any under belly repairs in a warranty situation. I am not sure if this is really the case or not, just a CYA move on there part to avoid any liability. This dealing with a dealers has been a learning experience. Luckily I have never been back since.

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

Actually when the customer SPECIFICALLY states not to cut the belly, then that should be respected by either complying or telling the customer that is not possible.

As far as cutting to gain access is concerned, this would be similar to your TV dealer cutting the right rear quarter panel to gain access to the fuel filler neck hose.

There is very little extra effort involved to remove the material, and make the repair, on my rig anyway. that it is a poor excuse to state that Heartland would not pay for the time to accomplish the job correctly. I do not blame the OP for being upset with the dealer.

Lynn1130

I think that it would probably be a phone call to tell the owner that the charge will be an hour labor for cutting and repairing as opposed to a three hour labor cost for dropping and repairing. Yes they should call but I know what my choice would be. And I have found that Heartland is cheap when it comes to repairs but no more than any other manufacturer.

danemayer

Even if Heartland was willing to pay, I would not want the rear cap loosened or removed to avoid cutting the coroplast.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I am having the same problem and will be having to get into the underbelly for a valve leaking in my gray tank. I plan on cutting the choroplast. There is a product on Amazon called Surface Shields Scrim Shield Repair Tape. I know that Jim B has used it and I think he was happy with it.

mlpeloquin

Had to cut mine to gain access to replace the gray water waste valve gaskets. Used Gorilla tape on the lower section. On the upper, the Gorilla tape did not hold. I replaced it with EternaBond RoofSeal. So far both are holding well. Yoy must wash off the coroplast and then clean with isopropyl alcohol prior to applying the tape. So taping does work for a repair.

BigGuy82

I did a small repair at the rear of my coach last summer involving some damage. I cut the Coroplast on 3 sides, creating a flap sized about 2X2'. I patched it back up with Gorilla tape and it's still holding.

That said, I just checked out the Surface Shields (BP4180) 4" x 180' Scrim Shield Repair Tape on Amazon that was recommended by another poster and it sounds impressive. I'm getting a roll to use when I run the brake lines on top of the Coroplast during my disc brake upgrade later this year.

I think whatever tape you use, you should clean the area with Isopropyl. I also wonder if running some epoxy along the edges would help maintain the seal by shielding them from the elements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

alwaysbusy

Thanks for the insight everyone. Knowing this practice is indeed done makes me feel a little better, especially knowing that in some cases there is no other choice. Also, great forward on the tape brand to use. IMO the manner in which Heartland affixes the coroplast could be more friendly to the end user. I understand why it's done, but indeed it makes it difficult for one to drop the underbelly with relative ease. I have expressed my dissatisfaction to the dealer for them not following my request; however, asked the service manager to check into it as dropping the coroplast may not have been an option. We'll see....

MCTalley

I recently cut into my Coroplast to fix a hydraulic leak on one of my slides. Here is the tape I used to tape the hole back up:

Flex-Mend Belly Tape

Looks like about the same tape as the previously mentioned tape and currently cheaper on Amazon. I always had problems with Gorilla Tape weathering and drying out after a year or so and kept having to re-apply.

jbeletti

I am having the same problem and will be having to get into the underbelly for a valve leaking in my gray tank. I plan on cutting the choroplast. There is a product on Amazon called Surface Shields Scrim Shield Repair Tape. I know that Jim B has used it and I think he was happy with it.

Dang - I brought the tape with me. If you wait until April, I'll lend you the roll. And help you do the repair.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Dang - I brought the tape with me. If you wait until April, I'll lend you the roll. And help you do the repair.

I might take you up on that. I am not sure it will be warm enough before then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kkamshop

They may have done you a favor, ours has been dropped open twice and it looks like crap under there. It is near to impossible to refasten that piece of coroplast back in place without at least four guys holding it up for the guy with the screw gun lol.

aRAYwego

They may have done you a favor, ours has been dropped open twice and it looks like crap under there. It is near to impossible to refasten that piece of coroplast back in place without at least four guys holding it up for the guy with the screw gun lol.

Agreed! I had to drop a portion of my front section due to a pressure tested black tank (don't ask) lol and am unable to get it back up to my satisfaction. Seems to have stretched it and it doesn't fit flat to the frame now.

danemayer

I've had the front section of coroplast down several times for various mods and I agree, it's quite difficult to get it back into place. It's hard for 2 people and even harder by yourself. Last time in, I used a 2x4 with clamps to substitute for the 2nd person.

The bolt through the 2x4 keeps it a little away from the frame so the coroplast can be positioned while the 2x4 holds it close to the frame.

Attachments

• coroplast support.jpg
    coroplast support.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 50

alwaysbusy

What would you do?

So the dealer is being very stand-up and candid about this which I really like and respect. In addition, they are open to fixing it in whatever manner I so choose. They have given the following options:

1. Overlay the underbelly with a second layer of coroplast covering the access panel which has been cut.
2. Drop and discard the entire sheet of coroplast covering the entire belly and replace with new.
3. Leave as is with the access panel taped closed.

I can think of several pros and cons here but will refrain as I'm more interested in others opinions on what you would do. Your thoughts appreciated...so what to do?