Help with new Big Horn

jds50

We have just moved up from pop-up camper to a Big Horn, pulled by a diesel GMC 3500 long bed. It's a bit intimidating in size. Pulling is a breeze, but we would like to find someone in the area who might help us get move comfortable with close turns, backing in, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. We are in the DC metro area.

jimtoo

Hi jds50,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Maybe someone close by will contact you and give you a little personal instructions. If not, find a large parking lot, school, church, mall that is not being used and take your Big Horn along with a friend or two and maybe some red cones and practice there making turns and backing into a place.

Enjoy the forum and your new Big Horn.

Jim M

branson4020

Icantre Member
Good advice from Jim. I remember my 1st big fiver. I just jumped right in with no experience and ended up getting some training in tight turns from my neigbor, Mr. Post.

wdk450

JDS50:
If you don't get any help from Heartlanders, I suggest taking your rig to a church parking lot (or other large, mostly unused parking lot) an practice with cones, old shoes, or the like for markers.
Get used to watching your mirrors ALL through turns. Learn to feel in your head where the trailer wheels are tracking.
See if you can find an unfinished subdivision (we have a lot of those around here from the real estate financial meltdown) to practice turns in.
Think about investing in a wired or wireless rear view camera, not only for your travelling down the road, but also for backing into a campsite. Some of these wireless (or wired systems with extra cameras) allow you to position the camera on the back of the truck for hitching alignment, and aimed at the side wheels for knowing when you have pulled up just on top of the levelling pads.

Good luck!!!

funntheson

When backing up, keep your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel. That way you can move the steering wheel the same direction you want the rear of the trailer to move.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When backing up, keep your wheel movements slow and small. If the trailer is not tracking where you wanted it to, stop, pull forward and try to straighten out the rig/truck as much as possible before backing up again. If you start spinning the wheel in frustration, you'll end up with the trailer up a tree and the truck upside down. When making tight turns, go a bit further with the truck then you normally would before turning so that the trailer can track through it without whacking something. Again, slow and deliberate and keep an eye in the mirror.

As mentioned, if you can find an empty parking lot to practice in, do that. Set some boxes or traffic cones (if you have some available) as obstacles and manuever around them. From my signature, you can see I'm running about as long as it can get. I think I had more trouble positioning our pop-up, compared to the BH.

Westwind

I thought we made a transition from 8x26 no slideout trailer to a 3070 but you have us beat. Really looking forward to our 2 1/2 months in this, it will really be different sitting in a recliner everynight watch a 32" TV, we even have a tv in the bedroom, don't have that in the house ( by choice ). Wish you safe travels.

danemayer

-When turning left, anytime there are 2 turn lanes, use the rightmost.
-Turning either direction, pull the tow vehicle as far forward as possible before starting the turn. Keep part of your attention on the forward trailer wheel in your mirror.
-Texas DPS recommends when turning right, from a single lane into a single lane, rather than swinging out to the left to prepare for your turn, go straight and use some of the oncoming lane in the cross street. They say this because if you swing left for a wide turn, the driver behind you is likely to misinterpret and pull into your turning area, causing an accident that's your fault. Of course, this assumes the oncoming lane traffic on the cross street is a) not there b) leaves you room or c) backs up. Sometimes it may pay to wait a bit.
-When backing into a space, pull past it further than you think you'll need to. As you start backing up and you turn the wheel, the rear of the trailer will take a while to start moving in the intended direction. I usually turn the wheel hard to get the turn started and once the trailer is going in an arc, I'll turn back some to keep from jack-knifing. Pay attention to what the front of the trailer and the truck are doing. Obstacles are everywhere. Best to have a partner outside, standing in view of your mirror at all times.

Westwind

Interested in what everyone posts, I'm going to need this advise also, going from a tt to a FW.

wonka

It's a lot like losing your virginity, you can get all kinds of advice and suggestions, but eventually you'll have to develop your own groove and do what works for you. Everyone sees and reacts a little differently, and every rig will have it's little quirks (at least in my personal experience), what works great for one person or unit might not be the best for the next. The suggestion of practicing in a parking lot is a fantastic one, running over or nudging a plastic cone is a lot easier on the trailer and pocket book than a road sign, car or tree. You can also make things progressively more difficult as you get a feel for the unit and handling, this way you can almost eliminate most of the stress and worry and concentrate on developing your driving skills.
I was employed way back in high school painting horse trailers, got all kinds of practice moving goosenecks around the shop and yard, started after class and at first I usually waited until most of the staff had left to move trailers. When you are just starting to learn, an audience is the last thing I wanted as I was nervous enough about moving a 30k unit. I actually set out empty 5 gallon paint cans and maneuvered around them. after a few weeks I was comfortable enough to wrangle the trailers from their position on the line, into the paint booth, and out in the yard with only 8" of clearance ( each side) around the overhead doors and the audience didn't bother me anymore.
After trying a couple times you will be able to develop a feel for your trailer, learning what works best for you and what doesn't. It's easy to try and type out what works best, but sometimes there is something lost in the translation, practice and experience will make it easier. Best thing is it's a big trailer, (kinda like a tractor) people generally take it in stride when you need a little more room and time to get things done.

brianharrison

Good advice from Jim. I remember my 1st big fiver. I just jumped right in with no experience and ended up getting some training in tight turns from my neigbor, Mr. Post.

Hey, He used to live beside me when I had my first 5th wheel over 30'.

Take care,
Brian

traveler44

I din't know if anybody mentioned that when you are beside anything make sure you pull up far enough to allow for the back end swinging around. Just as you have to swing out for the inside of a turn you have to allow for the rear end on the other side to clear as it swings around the turn. Tom M.

larneal

When backing, try to back over your left shoulder. That way you can see your trailer wheels. If you have to back over your right shoulder you'll need some help. We've all been there. You'll get the hang of it.