Highway 199

RKDAVE

I'm planning on towing our BH 3150 from Crescent City to Grants Pass this Spring. I would greatly appreciate it if someone out there who has driven this route would kindly give me some feedback. The Highway looks like a beautiful however I don't really want to encounter switchback after switchback on a narrow one lane highway. Thanks!

Last edited:

Manzan

It has been awhile since I have driven that road but it does wander around quite a bit. Remember you are going over the coast range and those valleys are not straight. There are worse roads!

RKDAVE

Thanks for your feedback. Looks to be about 50 miles of curvy highway beginning at Crescent City before the road straightens out to Grants Pass. Thanks very much for taking the time to respond!

wdk450

While the road has a fair amount of curves, I don't remember any switchbacks (turns nearing 180 degrees) on it. It does follow a river canyon the first half of the way. It does make a gradual climb from sea level to Grants Pass' 960 foot elevation. It is 45-55 mph driving except through the town in the middle. There are no close alternate routes. I have driven it 3 or more times with the Bighorn in tow.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I've driven it a few times too. Very pretty drive, especially in the river canyon. Nothing to be concerned about in terms of towing.

RKDAVE

Thanks for the great feedback. This is precisely the kind of information I was looking for! We're planning on driving up the coast on Highway 101 from Southern California and then cutting across at Highway 199 to Grants Pass. We're headed up to Bend stopping along the way to camp. Driving the coast to Oregon has been on our bucket list for quite a while.

RKDAVE

Thanks for your response. We're very much looking forward to driving thru there. It's alway good to get some feedback from someone who's driven it. It really looks like a gorgeous drive. Thanks again!

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
It is a gorgeous drive. If you have time to stop at the Oregon caves, they are interesting - nothing like Carlsbad Caverns but still a good experience. I think there are a couple of RV parks in Cave Junction so you wouldn't have to tow your rig to the National Monument. (you don't want to do that!). Bear in mind that if you cut over on 199 you won't get to see any of the Oregon Coast. The OR border is north of Crescent City.

The drive up 101 in CA is also fantastic. The state and national redwood parks are beautiful but I wouldn't get off 101 while towing. There are plenty of nice RV parks along the way and you can visit without the rig attached.

Another thought - an alternate route that would take you up the southern Oregon coast would be take 101 past Coos Bay to Reedsport and take 38 to I-5. It's an amazingly flat road through the coast range along the Umpqua River. Then you could go north to Eugene, east on 126 to 20 and on through Sisters to Bend.

Any way you decide to go, you should have a fabulous trip.

Safe travels.

aatauses

We drove this route from Cresent to Grants Pass last spring. The southern end has a few sharp turns, but nothing you cannot handle. The road through the river gorge is narrow, but the scenery is great. Pay attention to the curves, drive a little slower and enjoy the trip. I would advise doing it in the daytime.alcurrently in Crystal River, FL

RKDAVE

Thanks for the advice! We are looking forward to the drive thru there come Spring. We will take our time and enjoy the scenery!

johnpsz

RKDAVE -- Did you make this drive, and what route did you take, we are heading the opposite direction (heading south) with a stop off at the Oregon Caves this June (next month) so we'll be running down 199 south of Grants pass. Any updates or tricky spots would be great.

RKDAVE

RKDAVE -- Did you make this drive, and what route did you take, we are heading the opposite direction (heading south) with a stop off at the Oregon Caves this June (next month) so we'll be running down 199 south of Grants pass. Any updates or tricky spots would be great.

John,
Coincidentally, we are currently working our way up Highway 101. I will be driving the 199 from Crescent City this Sunday 5/17. We are going to stop and stay in O'Brien (midway thru on 199)or a few days so we can see the Oregon Caves as well. I'll let you if we encounter any rough spots on the Highway.

dasmoeturhead

I would stay at Lake Selmac, Or. Up the road from Cave Junction. It is a beautiful little lake. From up in those parts and have traveled 199 many times, and we love the drive. If you like fresh sausage, and Jerky, check out Taylor's in Cave Junction. It's where all the locals go for that kinda stuff. They have a restaurant also.
The road out of Cresent City on 199, is pretty curvy. Just take your time. The road surface is excellent. Smith river is close to CC, and a nice place to fish.

RKDAVE

I would stay at Lake Selmac, Or. Up the road from Cave Junction. It is a beautiful little lake. From up in those parts and have traveled 199 many times, and we love the drive. If you like fresh sausage, and Jerky, check out Taylor's in Cave Junction. It's where all the locals go for that kinda stuff. They have a restaurant also.
The road out of Cresent City on 199, is pretty curvy. Just take your time. The road surface is excellent. Smith river is close to CC, and a nice place to fish.

Thanks so much for responding to my thread. We're on our way tomorrow morning. We're planning on staying at Lone Mountain Campground which looks to be just below Cave Junction. We're going to be there for a few nights. I love fresh sausage and jerky! I will definitely stop off at Taylor's. Plus I love to fish so I'll check out the Smith River. Lastly, I appreciate the Highway information on 199. I'll take my time especially coming out of Crescent City!

wdk450

If you are looking for a great place to stay in Grants Pass at the end of the drive, I heartily recommend a county park called "Indian Mary" right on the Rogue river. Full hookups, and moderately priced.

RKDAVE

Thanks for the Campground recommendation Bill. Were going to take your advice and give a try! Thanks again for taking the time to reach out to me!

RKDAVE

We just finished driving the 199 from Crescent City. The 199 doesn't get to tricky until you get about 10 miles past Cave Juntion after you go thru a tunnel I believe on the California side. You'll see a road sign that says road narrows for the next 8 miles. Just take your time and you'll be fine. There are numerous turnouts and divided highway along the way. I hope this helps!

RKDAVE

One more thing, you cannot drive your fifth wheel up the road to see the Oregon Caves. The road is way to narrow and a lot of tight turns. You may already know this.

RKDAVE

Taylor's was absolutely awesome! I fished the Smith River but got skunked. It didn't matter, the scenery is magnificent!

Thanks again,
Dave