How many miles on your tow vehicle

meagle

I have a 2005 GMC duramax diesel with 170,000 miles. I have maintained meticulously since it was new. It runs great and looks like I bought it last week. I really enjoy my truck but my wife tells me that maybe it is time to get another truck due to its age and miles. How long do other members keep their diesel tow vehicles?

B

BouseBill

2008 F-450 with 47K miles, second owner. We plan on keeping it a while, pretty much use it for towing only with short trips around town to keep the seals, bearings and all that other stuff lubed up.

Lynn1130

2004 Duramax 97,000 and running strong. I don't want a new vehicle with a cat converter and DEF. Not to mention $60K

CaptnJohn

Told my wife the 2012 had 87,900 and time for a new truck. Bought a 2015 F150 not concerned about towing the boat with 8000 # limit. Two months later she hits me with "I want to start camping again". So limited to 8000# and bought a 2016 Wilderness 2750 RLR. Now chomping to get a new F250 diesel and a 5th wheel. Truck is now 3 months old with 14,500. Too soon to trade~~~ but would give someone a great deal. My wife says she would drive it so I'm thinking of selling her 2014 Ford Escape with 13,500 miles.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Had 170,000 on my 04 Ram, then 105,000 on my 11 Ram and now 6,000 on my 16 Ram. While I have loved each one, in my opinion they just keep getting better. This is my first 3500 with auto trans all others have been 2500 with 6sp manual with each 4x4. While I can understand hesitation about the DEF, the cost is minimal and it doesn't go into regen using fuel like the 11 did. The system really runs clean with an average thus far at 19 mpg running around on rural roads and towns. Have not had a long trip without towing. I have reached a maximum of 25 mpg on 100 mile trips but that isn't sustainable over all. I can't say I regret gong from the older trucks to the newer ones on each purchase.

Domi

We have a 2004 GMC 2500 that has 190K on it. We just got the trailer but have no intentions of getting another truck.

Domi

Ron-Cookie

We have a 2007.5 Ram 3500 with 184,000 miles and running strong... Dealer tells me everything is ok so I feel no big push to change it out... I only use the truck for towing our 5er and I like the 6.7 turbo power, 6 speed transmission, and exhaust brake...

meagle

I've done some upgrades to the truck, e.g., transfer flow 45 gallon fuel tank, banks intercooler and intake system, 4 inch exhaust, Idaho Rob towing tune, extang auxiliary fuel filter, Firestone airbags, head gaskets (ouch) with an ARP stud kit, larger radiator capacity, and a few other minor modifications. I like the truck but my wife is concerned about dependability as it continues to age and we do more traveling. I'm not sure if the features on a newer truck would be worth the large expense. I am inclined to keep it and hopefully it will continue to be a dependable vehicle. I am glad to see others out there with trucks my age and mileage who are still using them to tow their RV's.

Dean-Pam

I have a 2005 GMC duramax diesel with 170,000 miles. I have maintained meticulously since it was new. It runs great and looks like I bought it last week. I really enjoy my truck but my wife tells me that maybe it is time to get another truck due to its age and miles. How long do other members keep their diesel tow vehicles?

2007 GMC 2500 with 83,000 miles and have also maintained it meticulously. We are looking to upgrade to a 3500 next year, not because there is anything wrong with the current truck, but I want to have a better safety capacity when towing cross-country. I honestly thought this was going to be our last truck, but then bought a heavier camper...go figure

CaptnJohn

It takes about 2 1/2 years for me to get close to 100K miles. I generally buy a new one between 80K and 90K miles. My real only complaint on this one is the small fuel tank and the cost to add an aux.
I've done some upgrades to the truck, e.g., transfer flow 45 gallon fuel tank, banks intercooler and intake system, 4 inch exhaust, Idaho Rob towing tune, extang auxiliary fuel filter, Firestone airbags, head gaskets (ouch) with an ARP stud kit, larger radiator capacity, and a few other minor modifications. I like the truck but my wife is concerned about dependability as it continues to age and we do more traveling. I'm not sure if the features on a newer truck would be worth the large expense. I am inclined to keep it and hopefully it will continue to be a dependable vehicle. I am glad to see others out there with trucks my age and mileage who are still using them to tow their RV's.

Oregon_Camper

My 2008 F-350 had 31,000 (ish) on it when I sold it in Sept. My 2016 F-350 has 2600 miles, but 2100 of those were from when I flew to Texas to buy the truck and drive it home to Oregon.

MurrayN.

Hey Meagle. You and your wife have nothing to worry about with only 170000 miles on it. These older Duramaxs can crank out lots of miles before they need replacement. I know several people who have put 300-500,000 miles on these trucks before they are done. Regular use and good maintenance will keep them running for long time. The only thing is that the tow ratings are better on the new trucks.

meagle

Outstanding! 275,432 miles and it still looks great!!

- - - Updated - - -

I am glad to hear that they are getting that type of miles out of the truck. I am within the towing capacity of my truck when I pull my RV, but it is at the upper end. When I do upgrade I will get a truck with more towing and payload capacity.....hopefully several years from now.

aRAYwego

Have a total of 453 miles on mine. That's what happens when you take the truck to the dealership for an oil change and ask to test drive a 2016 with the air suspension!!!!!!!!

Oregon_Camper

Have a total of 453 miles on mine. That's what happens when you take the truck to the dealership for an oil change and ask to test drive a 2016 with the air suspension!!!!!!!!

LOL...that happened to me once a long time ago when I had a 4-Runner. Oil changed turned into a new 4-Runner. Those sneaky sales guys. :)

aRAYwego

LOL...that happened to me once a long time ago when I had a 4-Runner. Oil changed turned into a new 4-Runner. Those sneaky sales guys. :)
Lol. Same sneaky sales guy sold me my last 3 new vehicles. He wasn't supposed to have a drw with the air suspension. We were at another of their stores and he said "I'll be right there" he showed up with exactly what we wanted. Very sneaky

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MagnoliaTom

That's what happened to me (twice) when I took a camper to the dealer for service. Left with a new rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk