jbeletti's 2017 F450 Platinum Ultimate

jbeletti

Re: Considering 2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate

Does the 450 lend itself to being converted over to air ride easier?
Unsure. I've had the Link air ride on a 550 before. It was a chassis-cab so it was easier to install before the bed got put on it. In any event, I have no plans to change from a leaf-spring suspension to a full-air ride suspension. I will likely add Air Lift bags for leveling under load.

jbeletti

How much of a discount do you get with the X plan? can you trade a vehicle in when using the X plan?
From what I read about X-plan: Dealer invoice minus 4/10 of a percent + $275. Is it a great price? It's probably decent. Can a person negotiate a better price on a new model year vehicle custom ordered? Maybe. Trades - I assume so. I can also see where your trade allowance could be affected by thinner dealer margins on the new vehicle.

LBR

I went with aftermarket rear cameras and TPMS versus using the Ford OEM versions. Reasons? Less expensive, easier to hook up, the OEM TPMS just monitored, no low pressure alarms. Downside? Separate monitors, more dashboard clutter.

I have 4 X-Plan pins remaining, let me know if you want to use one.
These are good reasons that I have thought off as well, plus...

I have watched 7-8 YouTube vids focusing on the interior of the '17 model. I'm not aquainted at a new truck's interior like all of you are, since our's is a 2003 Ford. All that I can say is.... WOW! The vids showed the dozens of different screen options to watch at any given time.....there are many, many displays that could be of importance IMO.

So I have deduced for myself that I want 24/7 access while traveling glancing at the rear camera (constantly) and the TPMS (more occasionally), 2 very important visuals that would take away from the main split screen indash without the constant distraction when pushing screen buttons...less time fumbling with screen selection buttons=more time to focus on my driving.

Bones

From what I read about X-plan: Dealer invoice minus 4/10 of a percent + $275. Is it a great price? It's probably decent. Can a person negotiate a better price on a new model year vehicle custom ordered? Maybe. Trades - I assume so. I can also see where your trade allowance could be affected by thinner dealer margins on the new vehicle.

are dealer invoice and advertised invoice different?

aRAYwego

Only planning to spend in the $75-80k range. There are 3 levels above Lariat that can really drive the cost! :)
Jim, ours is the platinum with every option available except spray in bed liner. Price on the windshield was about 94k and we got it for 77k. So your numbers are pretty doable. I do, however, think we were helped by the fact that our truck was ordered by sombody that backed out of the deal so dealership was really wanting it gone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Jim, ours is the platinum with every option available except spray in bed liner. Price on the windshield was about 94k and we got it for 77k. So your numbers are pretty doable. I do, however, think we were helped by the fact that our truck was ordered by sombody that backed out of the deal so dealership was really wanting it gone.
I think you got a fantastic deal!

dave10a

From my prospective if one needs a dually, the F450 would be my choice rather than the F350. The F450 is built to be a dually rather than an add-on. However, I have no choice that to get a F350 SRW which limits the 5th wheel I can get. The newer Landmarks are out of my capacity.

Bones

Jim,

I like the new 450's and the turning radius however the auto level on the ram is an absolutely awesome feature. The truck essentially stays at one level even as you remove the camper it will lower back to the ride height. Even with auto level air bags added they will always unload to the unloaded height of the truck with the springs.

porthole

Retired

Dave - the new trucks are SO expensive. While I love my hauler bed for all it's advantages to me, I need to save the $15k it adds.

Only 15K - when I priced it at the Goshen 2015 rally it was 20K plus my bed.

- - - Updated - - -

What advantages does the 2018 F series trucks have over the 2017's?

Price :eek:

- - - Updated - - -

Does the 450 lend itself to being converted over to air ride easier?

As long as you have the necessary coins

- - - Updated - - -

I have 4 X-Plan pins remaining, let me know if you want to use one.

When I bought my wife's last car we used my daughters X-plan pin through BoA.

We had to prove same household residency in order to use it.
How can you offer your pins?
Would be helpful as my daughter has now moved 3000 miles away.

jbeletti

Jim,

I like the new 450's and the turning radius however the auto level on the ram is an absolutely awesome feature. The truck essentially stays at one level even as you remove the camper it will lower back to the ride height. Even with auto level air bags added they will always unload to the unloaded height of the truck with the springs.

That would be very nice to have :)

jbeletti

Only 15K - when I priced it at the Goshen 2015 rally it was 20K plus my bed.
Well - you may be right. I was reviewing my 2012 build and the bed itself was around $15k at that time. I suppose the cost of aluminum and labor has went up in the last 6 years :)

porthole

Retired

X-plan sets the price and the dealer doc fee. X is what is used by the industry partners

A & B plan is much better and is what could be considered an employee plan. An example with my wife's most recent car (2016 Lincoln MKC), A & B was about 2K less then X-plan.

Trades - yes

Interesting note. When I bought Deb's car I went in to buy an Edge. At the time the Lincoln programs made the MKC less expensive, had better financing (0% - 5 years) and more rebates.

At the time the advertised online price on both the Edge and MKC was a couple hundred dollars less then my X-plan price. But X-plan allowed the 0% on financing and offered an X-plan rebate with the Lincoln - so ......

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

15d61b45f4211a1541d379909eba51ac.jpeg

41d4b2243106da8f46ac94c056f47ccc.jpeg

Is this what you're wanting, Jim? Went to the Texas State Fair yesterday, they have all the latest 2018 vehicles on display for folks to sit in and examine. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbeletti

15d61b45f4211a1541d379909eba51ac.jpeg

41d4b2243106da8f46ac94c056f47ccc.jpeg

Is this what you're wanting, Jim? Went to the Texas State Fair yesterday, they have all the latest 2018 vehicles on display for folks to sit in and examine. :)

Nice. You look great in that truck.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Considering 2018 F450 Lariat Ultimate

Nice. You look great in that truck.

There was no sticker on this F450, but the sticker on the F350 was 90k!

Oh and our favorite after looking at the Dodge, Ford, Chevy and GMC Duallies, was the GMC Denali. ;)

Last edited:

jbeletti

Might be changing this thread title to Platinum Ultimate. Classy Chassis turned me onto Brondes Ford in Toledo, Ohio as someone he buys trucks from. He suggested I look at their 2017 F450 inventory. They have no Lariats that have the equipment I need.

The closest vehicle they have that has most of what I need it a Platinum Ultimate. Yikes! It has a bunch of stuff I wouldn't have ordered. And it's missing 3 things that can be added:
1. Spray-in bedliner
2. Trailer camera
3. Front wheel well liners)

Item 1 can be done anywhere, 2 can be ordered and 3 can be skipped.

We'll see what their "make be buy this" price is on Monday :) It would have to be a VERY good price and they'd have to offer a fair price for my trade. Lots of stars would have to align for this to be pulled off :)

Eric1234

Hi Jim

i wanted to give you my two cents on this I have a 2017 F450 platinum truck. First I like the truck, it towes great, comfort, power etc. I like all the features it offers from heated steering wheel, massage seats etc. as far as hitches I run the Andersen ultimate fifth wheel hitch and I like it, light weight and quite.

For window tinting I tint the front window on all my vehicles with a clear tinit. It takes out the glare kinda like polarized sun glasses. It's good stuff worth the money.

Good of luck with your new truck,

eric

jbeletti

Hi Jim

i wanted to give you my two cents on this I have a 2017 F450 platinum truck. First I like the truck, it towes great, comfort, power etc. I like all the features it offers from heated steering wheel, massage seats etc. as far as hitches I run the Andersen ultimate fifth wheel hitch and I like it, light weight and quite.

For window tinting I tint the front window on all my vehicles with a clear tinit. It takes out the glare kinda like polarized sun glasses.
It's good stuff worth the money.

Good of luck with your new truck,

eric

That's interesting. Thank you for sharing.

jbeletti

For anyone interested in picking up a great used RV hauler - here's a link to my For Sale thread for my 2012 F450 with RV Hauler bed.